The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panny G1 - the first m4/3 has arrived

cjlacz

I can't find what I read earlier, but I believe the sensor and EVF are fairly tightly coupled to reduce any delay in updating the EVF. That would mean there is as little processing and as few chips as possible between the two. Technically it's possible to apply all sorts of 'filters' to what you see in the EVF, but I wouldn't expect it in the G1.

Realistically I don't really believe any delay would be noticeable, but the chips add cost, complexity and require additional power. I think EVF is basically going to be a direct feed from the sensor, although I'd be happy to be wrong.

EDIT: A short break and some Oreos can change your mind. Not so sure it would be that hard now. :eek: Just have to wait and see I guess. :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The G1's size isn't all that smaller than that of the Nikon D40x'. I think there is room to improve on this front.

Perhaps Olympus will deliver those versions.

cjlacz

One thing of particular note: he says Leica WILL make m4/3 lenses in the future and that the Pana-Leica partnership is still very much alive.
The lenses don't surprise me. They hardly released anything for 4/3s and the 14-150 was probably a test for the m4/3s version. As soon as m4/3s as announced we have a fast prime and 7-14mm zoom listed plus what they had for 4/3s and a bigger zoom. I don't think Olympus will drop 4/3s, but (IMO) I kind of expect Leica and Panasonic to really jump on the m4/3s bandwagon more then 4/3s.

Maybe I'm way off, but I have high hopes to see a lot more out of them this time around.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Tim of Four Thirds Photo has posted a Q&A with Panasonic rep. about the G1 here:

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/G1/05.php

One thing of particular note: he says Leica WILL make m4/3 lenses in the future and that the Pana-Leica partnership is still very much alive.
I don't think Leica is actually "making" those lenses so much as designing them and defining manufacturing specifications. I really wonder just how much Leica's license per lens is?

Terry

I don't think Leica is actually "making" those lenses so much as designing them and defining manufacturing specifications. I really wonder just how much Leica's license per lens is?
I guess, enough that they are branded Lumix and perhaps Leica wants it's name on faster lenses made to different specs.

C

Caer

The G1's size isn't all that smaller than that of the Nikon D40x'. I think there is room to improve on this front.
I dunno, it looks pretty tiny to me, even so:

More good pictures on this Flickr set.

Bear in mind, too, that Panasonic explicitly said they could have made the camera smaller but didn't for fear of alienating Western (I think) buyers.

V

Vivek

Panasonic apparently claim (the interview link Joan provided) that the flip out TFT screen increased the bulk.

This was not the case with the Epson R-D1/s.

Terry

Panasonic apparently claim (the interview link Joan provided) that the flip out TFT screen increased the bulk.

This was not the case with the Epson R-D1/s.
Yes, it does and did on the RD1 as well. Think about the extra layers of plastics etc. that you need on a flip out that you wouldn't on a regular. Even if it is recessed in and sits flat (which the Panny does), you protect the back of the screen, the back panel of the camera and each layer adds to the dimensions.

Joan

Yes, you're right, John. That was a poor choice of words on my part. However, I honestly think Leica should consider having Panasonic manufacture a Leica-branded m4/3 body and design some small primes for this new standard.
This is what almost everyone wants to see come out of m4/3, a sleek body that has the small size and style of a rangefinder camera, but with modern electronics and tiny lenses. No, it's not an M class camera, but it's the closest most people will ever get to one.

HiltonP

. . . Panasonic apparently claim that the flip out TFT screen increased the bulk . . .
I guess technically it does, but ergonomically it must surely be worth it? The additional creativity and practicality one gains from having a flip/rotate LCD is worth the couple of millimetres around the waistline . . :)

I, for one, believe the flip/rotate LCD is a real help to inobtrusive and creative photography.

Other than Canon's S-series of p&s's this is now the only compact camera I know of to sport a flip/rotate LCD. I was hoping to see it make a comeback on their G-series, but alas, with the release of the G10, it was not to be.

etrigan63

Panny's PR company responded to me this week and I should be getting one for review next month. They seem to be focusing on EMEA and Asia for PR work first. I am wondering what Olympus is going to offer in comparison?