The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How loud is the GXR M mount module's shutter?

V

Vivek

I see from the specs that the M module has both an electro-mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter.

Are these loud? Is the electronic shutter as responsive and without any sound?

Thanks in adavnce!

Godfrey

I see from the specs that the M module has both an electro-mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter.

Are these loud? Is the electronic shutter as responsive and without any sound?
- The focal plane shutter is pretty quiet ... It's quieter than the shutter in the Panasonic G1 was, for instance. Not quite a quiet as the shutter in the Leica M4-2 or Olympus E-1, about on par with the M8 that I was playing with at the store the other day.

- The electronic shutter is entirely silent. It has a more limited range of operation and can only operate in one exposure mode, IIRC. It is a choice on the Scene modes menu options. I haven't actually used it all that much.

V

Vivek

Thanks! That is very useful as I can relate to the comparisons you make! :)

Agnius

I just compared my Konica Hexar AF to Ricoh GXR-M module and the shutter sound is about the same. However, Hexar's film advance motor also makes sounds, as well as AF mechanism, which leaves GXR-M with a single "snip" vs a multitude of mechanical noises of Hexar. I have not used electronic shutter yet.