The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR A12 and Visoflex III

dmabry2010

Greetings!

Well, I finally received a GXR and A12 Mount, as I have been looking for a way to use the lenses I use on the M9.

For an initial test, I was curious how the A12 Mount would work with a Visoflex III allowing much longer lenses.

For a test shot perspective, the first photo is with just the A12 Mount and a 35mm Summilux. Then the second photograph is with the Visoflex III and a Telet 280/4. The third shot is with the Visoflex III and a Novoflex 400mm. Finally, the fourth photograph is around a 100% crop of the Novoflex 400mm.

I do like the results, though I have a lot of learning.

To me, the LCD screen is easier to focus with than the Visoflex screen, even though I had a brightscreen installed on the Visoflex. However, I also found it LCD was dim in bright sunlight and hard to see.

To mitigate seeing the screen in bright sunlight, I was wondering about the external viewfinder. For those that have tried the external viewfinder with the GXR and A12 Mount, have you found the viewfinder or the LCD easier to focus?

Thank you,

Dmabry2010

Michiel Schierbeek

Greetings!

To mitigate seeing the screen in bright sunlight, I was wondering about the external viewfinder. For those that have tried the external viewfinder with the GXR and A12 Mount, have you found the viewfinder or the LCD easier to focus?

Thank you,

Dmabry2010
The test results look pretty good as far as I can see.

Regarding your question, it is hard to say. If I wear my reading glasses the screen works quiet good with focussing in Mode 2.
But for the real fine tuning with magnification I prefer the viewfinder, also because the diopter is set right for my eyes.
Using longer lenses, if you have the time, I would prefer the viewfinder I think. It is not a camera for action shooting with long lenses anyway.

Michiel

Godfrey

Nice pix. The GXR does very well with nearly any lens you put on it.

Been a lot of questions regdz LCD vs EVF lately. My answer remains the same ... "it depends." For short lens work, and lots of casual shooting, and zone focusing, the LCD is just fine. For more critical focusing needs it works well too, and even with longer lenses presuming you use a tripod.

But for hand held shooting, the EVF soon becomes essential as you get to normal or longer lenses. With 50 or longer, I only use the LCD when I'm using a tripod.