The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tiny Olympus 9-18 lens on E3 (first shots)

jonoslack

Hi There
I picked this lens up today (Zuiko 9-18 f4.5,f5.6), and I've attached a few shots I took on the way home. It has a focal length equivalent of 18-36, a useful range. It cost just under £400. I think it's a complete steal for this price, it may not be quite as sharp as the wonderful 7-14, but it's in the same ball park.

It's really small and light, not much bigger than a standard lens. Distortion is incredibly well controlled (see the arcade shot). It seems to be sharp to the corners, but I haven't really done any wide open testing yet . . . certainly, by f7.1 it's pin sharp at all focal lengths, there seems to be no vignetting either.

1/40th f7.1 9mm

1/640th f7.1 11mm

1/800th f7.1 9mm

1/640th f7.1 18mm

1/320th f7.1 11mm

1/1000th f5.6 9mm

1/250th f7.1 9mm

Sorry, rather unimaginative settings, but you get the point!

all the best
--
Jono Slack
http://www.slack.co.uk

Riley

this lens is astonishing value against the 7-14 i think
its made my must have list !

Terry

Hopefully the Panny 7-14 f4 will look as good when it comes out for the G1. If not this lens will probably be on my shopping list.

Joan

Gotta hand it to Olympus, they really give amazing value in their standard grade lenses. :thumbup: Looks like a great addition to your kit, Jono.

Owen_Coors

Wow...truly amazing! I didn't know that this lens even existed. I looked on the B&H Photo site, NYC, but they don't have this lens listed. "Tiny", can you give the dimensions? I was already trying to scrape together the money for the huge, and phenominal, 14-35 f2... but this 9-18, being "tiny", would probably be more suitable for keeping on the little E420 body. Any possibility of a photo of this lens on your E-3, Jono?
Owen

Owen_Coors

Thank you, Will! One thing that I can't ascertain from the dpreview page is whether or not this lens has a metal or plastic mount. Can you give some insight, Jono, please?
Owen

Owen_Coors

Hi Brian,
Thank you very much for your help! I registered to look over your Safari group shots with this lens. That is quite an eye opening comparison between most of the Olympus digital wide-zooms.
Regards,
Owen

jonoslack

Hi Everyone
Sorry - I was on a trip yesterday, so I've missed posting the answers.
If I get a moment I'll make a picture of it on the E3, but I guess you got the point from Brian!

Owen_Coors

Hi Jono,
There's really no need, now. If you get some some unique 9-18mm shots that you'd like to post, I'll bet I'm not the only one that would be very grateful to see those. 9-18mm shots are pretty rare, at this point.
Owen