The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24 hours with the new Sony A900

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono,

Dynamic range looks pretty good from these samples. The Church interior in particular looks very good.

Keep posting, always enjoy your work :)

Quentin

jonoslack

Jono,
Is 24 hours meant to mean your FIRST 24 hours?
Hmmmm . . . is that a trick question :)

I think it is . . but at this time of night everything is a little confusing
:ROTFL:

They won't take it back on a Sunday anyway :)

So, I guess I'll have to keep it!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono, you traitor you. Here I struggle to decide what Nikon camera to buy, and you show that it's possible to take good photos with a Walkman as well Have you got no feelings for other people's wallets :mad:

Nice photos btw. :)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jono, I very much like the soft, muted colors in these pictures. Quite a contrast to the sunlit shots you took in Norwich. Looks as though the A900 can easily handle the kinds of light you like to shoot in. I eagerly await the next series: Sony A900 Meets Golden Evening Foliage.

A

asabet

Jono, you're off to a beautiful start here, and I can see nothing to complain about from an image quality standpoint. Any interest in the Zeiss 135/1.8? Looks like a sweet lens. Enjoy the new gear!

jonoslack

Jono, you traitor you. Here I struggle to decide what Nikon camera to buy, and you show that it's possible to take good photos with a Walkman as well Have you got no feelings for other people's wallets :mad:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::clap:
Yes, my feelings exactly - if you had told me a year ago that I'd be buying a Sony camera . . . . every time I see the badge I have to think "minolta engineering, minolta engineering"!
I tell you what though, it actually looks rather nice, and it handles beautifully. Depends whether you want the resolution . . on the other hand, you can put a zeiss 16-80 lens on it, and it's an 11mp aps-c camera. :D

Nice photos btw. :)
Thank you.

jonoslack

Jono, I very much like the soft, muted colors in these pictures. Quite a contrast to the sunlit shots you took in Norwich. Looks as though the A900 can easily handle the kinds of light you like to shoot in. I eagerly await the next series: Sony A900 Meets Golden Evening Foliage.
HI Jonathon
Not much golden foliage around here at the moment - we're forecast 4" rain today :(.

Still, the colours do seem good - so good that, like the Olympus, one doesn't really think about it.

jonoslack

Jono, you're off to a beautiful start here, and I can see nothing to complain about from an image quality standpoint. Any interest in the Zeiss 135/1.8? Looks like a sweet lens. Enjoy the new gear!
HI Amin
Thank you! I think that it's looking good as well.
As for the Zeiss 135 f1.8 - it DOES look like a good lens, but I need an ultra wide before I start thinking about that end of the scale - of course, there's the 85 f1.4 as well:rolleyes::eek:

V

Vivek

Jono, I would echo what Amin said about the photos. Very nice. :)

How effective is the sensor stabilisation. Does it make any difference?

The lens line up for Sony does seem quite limited. A major -ve AFIAC.
The flashes are there, there is even a GPS unit, etc for the "walkman" but very few lenses.

jonoslack

Jono, I would echo what Amin said about the photos. Very nice. :)

How effective is the sensor stabilisation. Does it make any difference?

The lens line up for Sony does seem quite limited. A major -ve AFIAC.
The flashes are there, there is even a GPS unit, etc for the "walkman" but very few lenses.
HI Vivek - the sensor stabilisation does well - certainly two stops - I was taking some decent pictures this evening at 1/10th and 70mm - of course, it isn't magic, but better than none.

As for the lenses - well, yes, the Sony lineup is pretty limited . . . on the other end, apart from the BIG professional zooms, I was finding it pretty hard to get anything wider than 70mm for the Nikon (apart from the lovely Zeiss lenses . . . but if I'm going to shoot manual focus, why not use the M8?)

On the other hand - all the Minolta AF lenses work on the Sony- and there are lots and lots of them - some are really good, and can be had secondhand quite cheaply - here are a couple of links:

Minolta fit prime lenses

Historical perspective on Minolta lens design philosophy

So, apart from the 14-24, (the Zeiss 16-35 is coming soon) I don't really feel hard done by.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jono.:)

I do have the Minolta 28mm f/2.8 AF and the flash adapter.