The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's YOUR prefered MILC for legacy glass?

emr

Didn't know where to post this, so I chose "Other cameras".

I have some nice old lenses and plan to get many more. I'm going to use them on a mirrorless, "MILC" camera some day. But don't really know which to get. Or perhaps wait for some coming models.

Things to consider:

- In my case it's M42 and K mount lenses, but since the registration length of most MILCs is very short, that should not make a major difference.

- I think focus peaking is a must. I have to admit I have only seen it in use on internet videos, but I have high expectations for that.

- In body image stabilation is a plus but not an absolute necessity.

- A viewfinder is a must. Built-in preferably, but a good external might work.

- The sensor / IQ must be good. Not just OK, but good.

So what would you suggest and why? NEX-7 is my number 1 candidate so far. NEX-5N, perhaps. What others are there? I actually already have a Samsung NX10, but while I like it in some aspects, with its yesteryear sensor and lack of focus peaking, I'm not even considering getting an adapter for it.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I have the Nex 7, the Nex 5n and the Ricoh GXR with M-mount. I am a lens collector, so this has influenced my decisions a lot.
You will be able to mount more lens types on the Nex cameras - it's more versatile. You can even put m4/3 lenses on it.
The Nex 7 resolution for me is a revelation and something I wouldn't be without. But the Nex 7 cannot take rangefinder wides - they just don't work and the corners are dreadful. The Nex 5n is much better for that. For instance, my Zeiss Biogon 28 is lousy on the Nex 7 but is OK for me on the 5n.
Nex camera automation will also work with all Maxxum lenses (and Sony A mount, of course) - a major plus. You need the LA-EA2 adapter to do that.
The Ricoh GXR somehow brings out the best of my photographic capabilties. IQ is superb. External EVF works well. User interface is second to none and you can do literally anything you want with it (including square format, unlike the Nex cameras). Build quality beats the Sonys hands down.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
After working more with the Nex 7 I should caution that in my experience the focus peaking can't always be relied on - I back it up with the magnified view. I've had trouble particularly when shooting at 150mm or above. Just a heads up.
I haven't noticed issues with the GXR, but I am going to be looking more carefully. I always use the EVF

Keith

monza

I have noticed the same...when looking at a reduced image on the LCD or EVF, the peaking will appear but after magnification, it still may not be focused on what you want.

This is similar to how something can look perfectly in focus on a small back-camera LCD and then be completely out of focus when brought up on a monitor...