The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR Firmware Update 1.50

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hmm. That page would not load for me, but I am in Italy and the internet connection I have is... capricious?

SS, what was in that update that you like so much? Cheers, kl

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Kit, 2 major things made me happy.
#1. Raw only, no jpeg
#2. Auto ISO in Manual mode.

There are other goodies in the update but these 2 have been a thorn in my butt forever.
The update does the body and the modules.

Don

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Don: that's two very good reasons indeed! I will keep an eye on this thread to see when that link's back up again. Cheers and thanks!

Godfrey

Ricoh USA's site wouldn't load last night, I presume they were updating it. It loads now and I've downloaded the update. Attached is a PDF of the firmware update page with all the relevant information.

Lots of good stuff.

One detail (that folks are whining about on DPR) is that when you elect raw-only capture the magnification possible is limited to 3.4x. This is because they store the JPEG preview at VGA resolution and do not up-scale it for display.

Personally, I think this is a sensible arrangement ... If I need full resolution preview, I'll just turn on JPEG+raw as then the magnification allows me to achieve 1:1 pixel resolution. Most of the time, I don't review for critical focus, I look primarily for exposure settings, so saving space through raw-only makes good sense.

Link to the Ricoh USA update page is http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/gxr/

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Kit, Glad ya can see the light of day. I am really happy about the update.

Godfrey, I understand but don't agree with the DPR crowd. It seems to me that the magnification should be fine after the update. As you stated, there is always the option of turning on the jpegs.....

Agnius

Maybe there were problems discovered with 1.50 firmware - that's why it got pulled, but I like the idea of not generating jpegs if I am shooting only raw. Makes sense!

Godfrey

Maybe there were problems discovered with 1.50 firmware - that's why it got pulled, but I like the idea of not generating jpegs if I am shooting only raw. Makes sense!
Nothing was pulled that I've discovered. I just downloaded it again (forgot to copy it to my flash disk at the office) and installed it. Works beautifully.

G

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Just upgraded the firmware. Focus mode 1 now looks very useful, even without magnification. Will play more today.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And I ran a quick comparison between Raw only and Raw + jpeg, re. playback focus checking: Raw only looks blurry, and way too small to asses critical focus.

I will be sticking to Raw + jpeg fine; my cards are 16GB, after all, so space is no kind of problem at all.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
So if the camera uses a jpeg for MF, does it make sense to have an "Auto Delete" after exposure feature. I am happy to have Raw only but I also am not using MF.
For those using the M module, deleting the jpeg could be a work a round. I also like my screen in B&W and this would do the trick.

Godfrey

And I ran a quick comparison between Raw only and Raw + jpeg, re. playback focus checking: Raw only looks blurry, and way too small to asses critical focus.

I will be sticking to Raw + jpeg fine; my cards are 16GB, after all, so space is no kind of problem at all.
That's what I'll be doing too. I have Lightroom set to import only the raw files of JPEG+raw pairs; the JPEGs don't take up that much space.

It is nice, however, to be able to turn off the JPEGs. They're not always necessary.

Godfrey

So if the camera uses a jpeg for MF, does it make sense to have an "Auto Delete" after exposure feature. I am happy to have Raw only but I also am not using MF.
For those using the M module, deleting the jpeg could be a work a round. I also like my screen in B&W and this would do the trick.
I don't understand what you mean by "if the camera uses a jpeg for MF"..? what does MF stand for in this context?

Godfrey

It seems a small regression has occurred with respect to DNG raw files and fw v1.50 vs 1.44.

With v1.44, if I used MySet custom configuration with the Lens Name, Focal Length and Aperture values, the focal length and aperture values were saved in both the JPEG and DNG files under the appropriate EXIF tokens.

Now, in v1.50, they still appear in the JPEG file. However, in the DNG file, the Focal Length value is set to 0.0 mm and the Aperture value does not appear.

A minor annoyance. At least the lens name still appears concatenated into the Camera Model Name, e.g.:
Camera Model Name : GXR MOUNT A12_M-Rokkor 40mm f/2
in the DNG files. But it's not as convenient as having at least the focal length properly tokenized into the EXIF data.