The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E410 or E420

Will

Planning to get my son a new camera and have noticed that you can now get an E410 body for only £230 compared to £310 for the E420. Is there really that much difference between the two to justify spending that much more? My son is only 14 and I think the E410 should be quite good enough for him to develop his photography skills. He has an E500 at the moment and so could use the kit lens from that on the new body to start with.

Any advice welcome.

Will

Thanks for the advice Brian.
Now will I see if they still have any left and find somewhere to hide it until Christmas if they do.

If anyone is interested this is his Flickr photostream so you can see why I think he could make good use of a better camera. (proud father :D)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecrazymansphotos/

helenhill

he's got a GREAT Eye
and an Artsy Sense of Style in his framing
Coool...... :)

Does he really have to Wait till Christmas for the oly :(

Best- H

Will

Thanks Helen!

Of course he got all his talent from me. I keep trying to get him to give it back but, being a teenager, he won't cooperate:mad:

jonoslack

Hi Will
I thought they were great too.
This is EDUCATION!
Get him an E420, and give it to him straight away.
He can have a new pair of jeans for Christmas.
:)

Lili

I will play Devil's Advocate; go with the 420, you can get it it with that SWEET 25mm pancake
:salute:

Last edited:

Lili

Will having tempted you, it appears I will be picking up a E410 two lens kits this afternoon.
Was to have got it yesterday, but I got stuck late at work :(

Nigel Rea

Will

My daughter manages a gallery in London and last year it hosted an exhibition of photographs, taken by Jon Nicholson, of the people in Darfur.

Jon is sponsored by Olympus and for this assignment he used E-410 and E-510 cameras. The pictures were stunning and show what is possible with this camera.

The link to the exhibition report is here www.dpnow.com/4364.html

Jon's other work with Olympus is shown at www.jonnicholson.co.uk

Either camera would be fine.

NR

Lili

Will

My daughter manages a gallery in London and last year it hosted an exhibition of photographs, taken by Jon Nicholson, of the people in Darfur.

Jon is sponsored by Olympus and for this assignment he used E-410 and E-510 cameras. The pictures were stunning and show what is possible with this camera.

The link to the exhibition report is here www.dpnow.com/4364.html

Jon's other work with Olympus is shown at www.jonnicholson.co.uk

Either camera would be fine.

NR
Nigel, thanks for the link, stunning work that is :)

N

nei1

Get him a film camera,show him how to develop film,show him how to print,discuss the older photographers,how they worked.Be involved.The alternative is to give him another excuse to be in front of a computer screen after snapping away for half an hour.Will am talking about my kids not yours but the danger is there.

Will

Get him a film camera,show him how to develop film,show him how to print,discuss the older photographers,how they worked.Be involved.The alternative is to give him another excuse to be in front of a computer screen after snapping away for half an hour.Will am talking about my kids not yours but the danger is there.
I did think that might be a problem but I'm happy to say that I have to make him spend time post processing. He has a good habit of trying to get it right setting up the shot in the first place.

Thanks for the link Nigel.

Lili

Okay so what is the big difference between the 420 and 520 and can you use the 25mm on the 520
Guy
E520 is a bit bigger, has a 'grip' and uses bigger battery.
It also has IS (sensor based).
I am a research junkie
Brian- I can't wait!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Lili just left Photomark here in town and played with the 520 . Real nice but from MF viewing to the 520 I thought i was looking in a tunnel. LOL

Okay it's a 20 thousand dollar difference what does one expect, right. Just to spoiled I guess :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lili

Thanks Lili just left Photomark here in town and played with the 520 . Real nice but from MF viewing to the 520 I thought i was looking in a tunnel. LOL

Okay it's a 20 thousand dollar difference what does one expect, right. Just to spoiled I guess :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
LOL Guy,
I has E410 nao!!

jonoslack

Pay another few hundred dollars and you get
Weathersealing
a LOVELY 100% bright viewfinder

it's called the E3!