The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing Marmite and Lurchers with the A900

jonoslack

Hi there
Hmm - I think I'm falling in love with this camera. It isn't the resolution (although that was the reason for getting it), it's the effortless colour and the profoundly 'not irritating' interface.

Whatever, cameras are about pictures, so here are some pictures.

First of all the marmite (it was in our 'meat safe', with a small, rare glimpse of sunshine)

and, for the pixel peepers, here is some nutritional information (crop)

no more crops . . . at least, not in this thread! here are some pictures:

poppies . . . those reds are tough, and they're just right:

Olive oil . . . . it's from summerfield, but I was ashamed, so I've hidden the label:

Irakly says that this lock is not polite (not sure why):ROTFL:

Paris (he is a tomcat who sometimes condescends to eat our food)

hedgerow stuff:

Her's and His:

More in the next post (if you can bear it!)

jonoslack

Some more:

and hers:

Hinges:

Boy:

Girl (back to front)

Chair:

Frying tonight:

Dead Leaves in pond

finally - walking the dog

I've not used a Sony dSLR before, and I'm deeply impressed by the colour / ergonomics and general loveliness of the experience.

Exif should be intact on all pictures, but, basically, all pictures of people are taken with the 50mm f1.4, everything else was taken either with the Zeiss 24-70 or the Sony 70-300g

I'm pleased!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Nice shots...I like the light in "dead leaves"..
just wondering...the 997 is hers right??

jonoslack

Nice shots...I like the light in "dead leaves"..
just wondering...the 997 is hers right??
Hmm - thank you,

actually, it's a 9 8 7 (we couldn't possibly afford a 997) it IS an 's' though.

and no, it's mine, but the SAAB is one of the last two turbo S convertibles delivered in the UK (1994) and it has been completely refurbished, much more street cred!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I have a Boxter S as well, I like the A900 files. Is there much post to get them to pop?

jonoslack

I have a Boxter S as well, I like the A900 files. Is there much post to get them to pop?
I really like my Boxster - after 20 years of Saab's it's a breath of fresh air.

as for the A900 files and PP
No . . .almost none. . . . . it's lovely :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay for fear of being shot by rifle at a distance of 10 meters these are really looking a lot like the DMR. I see the nice warmth to the images and nice tonal ranges in a lot of these shots. The DR seems to there and the crispness too. I don't know but I am liking what i am seeing besides Jono's great eye. But I am not sure it has the bokeh

jonoslack

Okay for fear of being shot by rifle at a distance of 10 meters these are really looking a lot like the DMR. I see the nice warmth to the images and nice tonal ranges in a lot of these shots. The DR seems to there and the crispness too. I don't know but I am liking what i am seeing besides Jono's great eye. But I am not sure it has the bokeh
:ROTFL:
Why should you be shot? Especially if you're nice about my eye (actually I have two :))
It seems to me that the lightweight AA filter on the A900 is probably responsible for that DMR 'look'. It also contributes to the fantastic detail
As for the bokeh none of these shots really show either way:

I only used two lenses for these, the 70-300 f4 / f5.6 G (G is equivalent to Canon 'L' range) the bokeh is good for that kind of lens, but not perfect.

The Zeiss 24-70 was used for the others, and that seems to me to be pretty good.

Oh - the shots of the kids were with the 50mm f1.4, which is so much better than it's nikon equivalent it isn't true - that background (brightly lit pots and pans) is always difficult.

I must say, I'm very pleased with the results so far, but I'm still dithering a little with respect to wide angle lenses - there is a zeiss 16-35 f2.8 coming, but it will be BIG and personally I never need fast for wide angle.

Terry

Glad you are having fun. These look good.

I really want to get out and shoot. I've been in such a rut over the past month, I haven't even updated the firmware in my M8s yet.

jonoslack

Glad you are having fun. These look good.

I really want to get out and shoot. I've been in such a rut over the past month, I haven't even updated the firmware in my M8s yet.
Hi Terry
we don't get the autumn colours in quite the same way here, but still, it's a lovely time of year for shooting, even if the landscape as a whole looks tatty, the details can be lovely.

Work is the problem!

all the best

Terry

Hi Terry
we don't get the autumn colours in quite the same way here, but still, it's a lovely time of year for shooting, even if the landscape as a whole looks tatty, the details can be lovely.

Work is the problem!

all the best
Yes, work is taking a toll. My clients have been calmer than expected. But as you can imagine with these markets and a new surprise du jour it is pretty grim.

Robert Campbell

Nice shots, Jono.
I presume these are RAW conversions? - what did you use?

PS Old Irish saying: "Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

jonoslack

Yes, work is taking a toll. My clients have been calmer than expected. But as you can imagine with these markets and a new surprise du jour it is pretty grim.
Hi Terry
It must be awful - there is a consolation in only owing money:ROTFL:

I do sympathise. You should get out and take some pictures to cheer yourself up.

jonoslack

Nice shots, Jono.
I presume these are RAW conversions? - what did you use?

PS Old Irish saying: "Work is the curse of the drinking classes"
Thank you Bertie
converted from RAW to .DNG in adobe dng converter
then processed in Aperture 2 using the standard dng conversion and output to jpg using the Aperture presets.

Seems to work . . one day Apple will have full support, but in the meantime the .DNG files are about half the size of the Sony raw files . . . I might keep on like this!

Quentin_Bargate

Some more:

I'm pleased!
How pleased????? I think we should be told :toocool: Take the D700 as a basis for comparison, now you have nearly owned the A900 for as long as your "old" D700 :p

Cool stuff. Colours look good, but then you always have a way with colour.

Quentin

jonoslack

How pleased????? I think we should be told :toocool: Take the D700 as a basis for comparison, now you have nearly owned the A900 for as long as your "old" D700 :p

Cool stuff. Colours look good, but then you always have a way with colour.

Quentin
Hi Quentin - flattery will get you everywhere.

and the answer is 'as punch'
:)