The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tractors, chickens and 20mm f2.8

jonoslack

Hi There
I've been working today, but I did manage to get out for an hour in the morning, and another in the evening:
these are with the Sony 20mm f2.8

and these with the the 70-300G

these are Polish ponies which live wild on the fenland near us - they seem to have been having trouble with burr's in their manes.
http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/_DSC1008.jpg

Arthur is doing the ploughing again!

Chickens in the next post!

jonoslack

more with the 20 f2.8 . . .

It's a nice small lens, but if you want the best out of it then you
need to stop it down a bit, and there is some barrel distortion too.
it isn't as sharp as the Zeiss 24-70 at 24 either.

the rest are with the Sony 70-300 G - this is a wonderful lens - it
seems to be sharp right to 300mm.

I'm afraid our chickens aren't really looking their best at the
moment, but, I thought I'd persecute them a bit - I've included 100%
crops for the first two shots, all of them were taken at or around
300mm

This last one was my favorite though

Prints are looking splendid - even very big prints, but what is most
surprising is that the extra resolution even seems to be giving small
prints an extra 'zing'

Robert Campbell

Another impressive set, Jono - clearly you and the Sony are well suited.
I do find the background in the chicken crop with the green background a bit 'speckly' though.

jonoslack

Another impressive set, Jono - clearly you and the Sony are well suited.
I do find the background in the chicken crop with the green background a bit 'speckly' though.
Hi Bertie
Probably Aperture getting a bit overenthusiastic with the web output (of course, I'm completely innocent):)

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, is there a problem with your site? I'm not getting the images here... so are you keeping your Nikon kit as well?

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Jono, is there a problem with your site? I'm not getting the images here... so are you keeping your Nikon kit as well?

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian
They're working for me, but sometimes on Sundays they do something or other and it isn't so good.

And the answer is NO - Nikon kit gone (of course, the Olympus gear is staying, although my E3 is going off to have it's LCD resealed (I'm not sure that it's necessary, but the dealer says 'do it').

Can you see them now?

A

asabet

Jono, I really like the photos with the 20/2.8, especially the second and third in this thread and the one with your dog :). The last rooster shot is fantastic.

Brian Mosley

p.s. any chance of seeing a shot of your A900 next to your M8... which would you rather take to a party? ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

Listen to the ROOSTER Sing...Brilliant Shot

I'm quite Impressed with the Sony
Just Wondering Jono, which do YOU prefer overall the Oly OR Sony ?

Best to You. H

A

asabet

At these web sizes, the Sony looks a bit like the Oly, which is a good thing! Both have very nice colors, though I think I can tell the difference. Looking forward to one of Jono's blinded tests between the Sony and the Olympus!

jonoslack

Jono, I really like the photos with the 20/2.8, especially the second and third in this thread and the one with your dog :). The last rooster shot is fantastic.
Thank you Amin - it's such a nice small lens, but it does need stopping down for it's best, and there is a little simple barrel distortion as well.

At these web sizes, the Sony looks a bit like the Oly, which is a good thing! Both have very nice colors, though I think I can tell the difference. Looking forward to one of Jono's blinded tests between the Sony and the Olympus!
I think it looks a bit like the Oly as well - lovely colours, I think that the A900 are a little more 'transparent', but it's a tough call

Hmm, blind test - would it just be 100% crops (with the distance organised so that they were the same portion of the image) - or scaled down . . it's quite hard to make a sensible comparison.

Last edited:

jonoslack

p.s. any chance of seeing a shot of your A900 next to your M8... which would you rather take to a party? ;)

Kind Regards

Brian
Ker . . . .Plunk (goes the A900)
Click.Dzzzzzzzt (goes the M8)

Pick your poison! The A900 is louder, but lower and less harsh.
Mind you - both of them are much noisier than an E1, and even the E3 is a little quieter.

The M8 does seem to be almost invisible at parties, and the A900 certainly isn't, although I think it's often lens size that intimidates people.

Glad you liked the shots . . . . you don't really want a picture of them together do you? I could put the E3 in as well!

jonoslack

Listen to the ROOSTER Sing...Brilliant Shot

I'm quite Impressed with the Sony
Just Wondering Jono, which do YOU prefer overall the Oly OR Sony ?

Best to You. H
:ROTFL: They're called Cockerel's over this side of the pond, and if that's singing then Bob Dylan is really Kiri Takanawa!

Which do I like best? Well, they're just really different, Olympus still has the lens advantage, but the extra resolution is nice to have - I guess if you're asking the question half way up a hill in Crete then it's the Olympus, and if it's in a field in Suffolk then probably the A900 . . . .

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, a shot of all three together would be very interesting - only if it's not too much trouble!

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

Hmm, blind test - would it just be 100% crops (with the distance organised so that they were the same portion of the image) - or scaled down . . it's quite hard to make a sensible comparison.
I think scaled down to typical web size is more fun. Color and bokeh come across even in the small sizes. 100% is fun too though :).

jonoslack

I think scaled down to typical web size is more fun. Color and bokeh come across even in the small sizes. 100% is fun too though :).
The nice thing about this forum is that it WOULD be fun (try doing it on dpreview and watch the bullets fly!).

Perhaps two tests are in order, but, truth to tell, I'm very busy at the moment, so I'll do my best to provide you with some amusement!

(let's face it, meaningful does NOT come into it!)