The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun pictures with Oly, Sony, Sigma, Pentax and all the Others

jonoslack

David
Thank you for the kind words

Bullocks!
I'm sure you're an even handed kind of a guy Bertie, but if a word needs two 'o's then GIVE IT two 'o's - there's no mileage in spurious 'u's (anyway, it was a cow, not a sheep!).
BTW, are you a grockle, Jono? :)
No - Born in Redruth, moved to StIves aged 4 days, son of doctor, Penzance Grammar School . . . . well, I did leave aged 18, but the old fellow lived in the house I grew up in from 1948 (long before I was born) until last year (we sold it on October 1st). Currently in house between StBuryan and StJust which Emma's parents . . . . you don't need to know all this rubbish.

Grockle . . .NO!
:)

N

nei1

Grockles,emmits,thats the rest of the world!Say hello to cornwall for me,hoping to go after xmas,enjoy_______ Neil

jonoslack

Grockles,emmits,thats the rest of the world!Say hello to cornwall for me,hoping to go after xmas,enjoy_______ Neil
HI Neil
Cornwall has been duly 'said hello to' and I'm pretty sure I heard it say 'hello' back!

jonoslack

Fox Hunting meet at St Just
Of course, these days it's just drag hunting . . .
Anyway, the meet was good fun, lots of bustle and misbehaving horses.

I shot with the A900 with the 70-300 Sony G lens. These were shot at ISO 400 - probably not strictly necessary in most cases, but I was trying to ensure enough shutter speed (and the sun kept coming and going).

The focusing behaved really well, in fact I don't think that there was a single shot out of 200 which I could blame the camera for!

I'll add a couple of 100% crops in the next post:

jonoslack

Here are three with 100% crops

I think dpreview said that the A900 was an 'iso200 only' camera

No noise reduction added (either by me or by the camera)

Robert Campbell

Fox Hunting meet at St Just
Of course, these days it's just drag hunting . . .
Nice pix, Jono. The event locally is the Hunt on Boxing Day - for the kids as well, so it's more of a fashion parade for the girls...I'm glad the daughter is abroad at present...

Of course, we don't go in for drags, they are real Hunts...but heaven forbid that they would ever catch anything!

Edit: I've just seen the crops - excellent. And our surgical ward sister was also a local landlady, and did the honours on Boxing Day. The MFH was the psychiatrist.

jonoslack

Nice pix, Jono. The event locally is the Hunt on Boxing Day - for the kids as well, so it's more of a fashion parade for the girls...I'm glad the daughter is abroad at present...
There were a few girlies on ponies around here, and it was certainly something Emma did in her youth.

Of course, we don't go in for drags, they are real Hunts...but heaven forbid that they would ever catch anything!
I'm not quite sure where my tongue was when I made that remark - and I honestly don't know how the Western behaves (that's the hunt). As you so rightly say, Gordon forbid that they should ever catch anything . . . . at least, not on purpose!

HansAlbert

Jono, I've seen all your photos with the A900, and I must say, you are tantalizing me. I'm putting money aside for a new camera, and my first object of desire is the G1, the somehow logical successor of my Sony R1 and Pana FZ50. No problem with buying the G1, except seeing your photos. Resolution, dynamic range and the combo with the 70-300 lens let me dream of landscape photography in my uplands and at our lake. I'm an amateur, you know, and I've re-discovered my love of photography two years ago after decades of a long sleep. It seems that I now have to give the matter a lot of thought whether I should wait some time and spend four times as much. PS: Your very British last shot (gentleman looking up) is great.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
HansAlbert, Please know that Jono is a master with whatever camera body he is using. Look at his website to see stunning photos taken with the Oly E3 4/3 body and lenses. The A900 is no doubt a superb tool, but if the G1 is more within your reach, you should not be disappointed from what I have seen from Brian and Terry here on this site. Just my 2 cents.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono,
Those are soooo great :)

I have an old Walkman Professional sitting next to me at my desk. It needs repair. Do you think I should ask the service people if they could update it to A900 specs when they're doing it??

Not sure where to mount that Zeiss lens though :confused:

jonoslack

Hi Hans
And Cindy

HansAlbert, Please know that Jono is a master with whatever camera body he is using. Look at his website to see stunning photos taken with the Oly E3 4/3 body and lenses. The A900 is no doubt a superb tool, but if the G1 is more within your reach, you should not be disappointed from what I have seen from Brian and Terry here on this site. Just my 2 cents.
I'm fainting with damned praise!

Thank you Cindy. Hans is a perceptive and eloquent guy, and he understands my limitations better than most!
Still, what you say is true, I like cameras . . . and I like taking photographs, but the two things are rather well separated. I'm not sure that I'm a sensible guy to follow!

The only reason I don't have a G1 is that my dealer seems to have had a falling out with panasonic about it, and I'm not certain enough about it to have ordered it elsewhere (I'm certain about the concept, but the little Olympus does look attractive!).

It would seem that if you want the best out of the A900, then it really does need big(ish) and expensive(ish) lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It would seem that if you want the best out of the A900, then it really does need big(ish) and expensive(ish) lenses.
This is probably very important, and an area where Sony has an edge. I assume that the Zeiss-for-Sony lenses are designed with the huge pixel count/density of the A900 in mind, and probably more, which is not always the case for some of the lenses available elsewhere.

I just read the dpreview test of the 50D, where lenses was brought up as one possible reason for the somewhat mediocre performance of those 15 megapixels.

V

Vivek

The only reason I don't have a G1 is that my dealer seems to have had a falling out with panasonic about it, and I'm not certain enough about it to have ordered it elsewhere (I'm certain about the concept, but the little Olympus does look attractive!).

Jono, There is a 50 UKP mail in (limited offer) rebate from Panasonic (you are supposed to have seen a demo in a shop). The price is good there

On the lens front, check your PM.:)

jonoslack

Jono, I've seen all your photos with the A900, and I must say, you are tantalizing me. I'm putting money aside for a new camera, and my first object of desire is the G1, the somehow logical successor of my Sony R1 and Pana FZ50. No problem with buying the G1, except seeing your photos. Resolution, dynamic range and the combo with the 70-300 lens let me dream of landscape photography in my uplands and at our lake. I'm an amateur, you know, and I've re-discovered my love of photography two years ago after decades of a long sleep. It seems that I now have to give the matter a lot of thought whether I should wait some time and spend four times as much. PS: Your very British last shot (gentleman looking up) is great.
HI There Hans
Sorry not to reply before - I've been thinking about your post and trying to decide how to reply. Certainly the A900/70-300 is a sweet combination . . . but I'm not certain how much you would gain unless you want to do BIG prints.

I'm in Cornwall right now, and behind me I have a couple of A2+ prints made with the E1 - they're just fine. It's lovely to zoom in and look at the detail on the A900 . . . .but you'll be able to do that on the G1 as well, viewfinder and dynamic range are a different issue, and the colour is lovely (but then so is the 4:3 colour).

I've got both systems, but were I forced to have one, I'd be very tempted to stick to 4:3, the bottom line being that the lenses are so much less of an issue (i.e. they're ALL good and most of them are excellent).

I'll be interested to see how you choose.

jonoslack

Hi Jorgen

Jono,
Those are soooo great :)

I have an old Walkman Professional sitting next to me at my desk. It needs repair. Do you think I should ask the service people if they could update it to A900 specs when they're doing it??

Not sure where to mount that Zeiss lens though :confused:
:ROTFL: The old jokes are always the best:p

This is probably very important, and an area where Sony has an edge. I assume that the Zeiss-for-Sony lenses are designed with the huge pixel count/density of the A900 in mind, and probably more, which is not always the case for some of the lenses available elsewhere.

I just read the dpreview test of the 50D, where lenses was brought up as one possible reason for the somewhat mediocre performance of those 15 megapixels.
Hmm well, I think lenses for full frame are a big issue - It was a big problem with the Nikon, and it is with the Sony as well. I'm sure the expensive Zeiss primes are good (but there are only a couple so far) . . . but not all the old Minolta ones are: I assumed that the 20mm f2.8 would be good . . . but it isn't really, the 50 f1.4 has a nice bokeh, but it has rather unexpected barrel distortion.
The two zooms I have (Zeiss 24-70 and Sony 70-300) are really good, and cover most of my needs - I think the 16-35 will do me.

On the other hand, one can assume that there will be more coming.