The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

pophoto

DP2M is looking great although mostly as an outdoor camera and only upto ISO 400 (after which color and banding creeps in very quickly). Although I know very little about the foveon X3 sensor, it seems extremely well suited to high MP camera with great detail, good DR and with the good lens to pick up micro contrast detail. I'm excited about the future once there is more versatility in the range, perhaps a high quality zoom lens, but I already like 45mm effective crop. Once they are more in line with today's ISO, say good upto ISO 6400, I would be game. The daytime photos are simply beautiful.

ustein

Contributing Editor

Shows a lot of detail and images are very sharp (-0.5 sharpening in SPP and 0.0 in LR):

>I see so more micro-contrast and dynamic range.

Lots of micro-contrast is there. Not sure there is a very high dynamic range. In high contrast scenes the shadows get noisy at ISO 200.

Question: Does Auto ISO really start at ISO 200?

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
How much overexposure do you think it can handle. Don't forget we have stronger sun here than in the UK and that very often :)

Question fro Quentin: Does Auto ISO really start at ISO 200?

Last edited:

scho

What is the optimal smallest/lightest tripod possible for the DP2M? Any suggestions?
I'm using a Gitzo 1027 MK2 carbon fiber tripod, 1.7 lbs, 48 inch max height, 16.5 inch min height. This has been my travel and hiking tripod for the past few years and is great for small cameras. I don't know if it is still available, but there is probably an equivalent newer model. I have the Gitzo 1176M ball head with RRS B2 LR clamp and small RRS QR plate on the DP2M.

Quentin_Bargate

Looking good there, Uwe :)

On tripods, I'm using an Induro A014 with the Induro SA01 ball head. Slung in its case over the shoulder you hardly know you are carrying it. I purchased it originally in Toronto while there on a visit there and Michael Reichmann kindly set me up with a visit to his friends store where I also purchased a Canon G10 (it was a 3 or so years ago and the G10 gets little use now...).

However my main tripod is a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with an old488 hexagonal ball head. Bit too big for lightweight travel stuff, but use it with the Hassy.

Quentin_Bargate

:thumbup: hot stuff, and wonderfull shot Quentin!
Where/how do you do the sepia-look?
Thorkil
Thanks Uwe, Carl, Thorkil. I must admit I liked this shot as soon as I took it but it works best in this mono toned form.

There is a conservation society near where I live, the Colne Valley Rail preservation society, that has a short run of track with steam trains where I vertured today to take this shot. You just never know what you are going to find almost in your own back yard....

Thorkil, I used PS6 with Silver Effex Pro 2 plug in. The toning I worked out after playing around with the settings.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I used PS6 with Silver Effex Pro 2 plug in.

I thought so. Seems the mild halos are from this plugin. Don't think the DP2M produces such halos.