The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

> I used PS6 with Silver Effex Pro 2 plug in.

I thought so. Seems the mild halos are from this plugin. Don't think the DP2M produces such halos.
It does if a fair amount of X3 fill light is used, as is the case here due to the high contrast. Looks quite like old-fashioned dodging and burning. Its not the plug in per se, although it and the re-sizing emphasises it a fair bit.

Thorkil

Thanks Uwe, Carl, Thorkil. I must admit I liked this shot as soon as I took it but it works best in this mono toned form.

There is a conservation society near where I live, the Colne Valley Rail preservation society, that has a short run of track with steam trains where I vertured today to take this shot. You just never know what you are going to find almost in your own back yard....

Thorkil, I used PS6 with Silver Effex Pro 2 plug in. The toning I worked out after playing around with the settings.
ok, and yes, the small pearls are sometimes laying just in front of us, and we just have to see them, and grab them. And sometimes the british seems to be able to be traditional in a wonderful way.
Thorkil

Sapphie

I can't believe I am even looking at this thread. In fact, I am trying not too - I have switched off display of images in my browser, otherwise I might be tempted. I already have a Fuji X-Pro 1 and X100 so I don't need this, right?

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread (I did say I don't want to look) but how do people cope without a VF, of any kind? More and more cameras only have an LCD but I just don't get it. No camera I have ever owned has had a LCD that is visible enough outdoors in bright light ... so what am I missing? Spectacles?

Lee

Sapphie

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill - some conclusions

For me, this camera has been a total revelation. The heck with the problems (real as they are), the upsides are so great (for me) I have scarcely been able to pick up any other camera in the last few days. I have never before seen, in any camera short of high end medium format and digital scan backs, such pixel level quality and resolution.

Game changer? Sorry, its a whole new game.

Quentin
Oh, I peeked at some of the text. Must go away now ...

Lee

Sapphie

The perfect system for the minimalist photographer - Sigma DP2M + DP1M. I think that is where I am heading, if the DP1M can match the DP2M quality. The Fuji XP1 and NEX7 systems will be gone next week and I will keep the OMD for casual and telephoto needs for awhile. The serious landscape work will be done with the DPMs.
Now Carl is at it. This must be a weird dream ...

Lee

Thorkil

I think it may be safe to order :)
I'm just waiting for the DP1M.
And I think you can trust both Quentin and Carl.
Thorkil

ustein

Contributing Editor
I can't believe I am even looking at this thread. In fact, I am trying not too - I have switched off display of images in my browser, otherwise I might be tempted. I already have a Fuji X-Pro 1 and X100 so I don't need this, right?

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread (I did say I don't want to look) but how do people cope without a VF, of any kind? More and more cameras only have an LCD but I just don't get it. No camera I have ever owned has had a LCD that is visible enough outdoors in bright light ... so what am I missing? Spectacles?

Lee
This is what I do: outbackphoto - News - Improved Shooting with Compact Cameras (e.g. Sony RX100)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but I'd also like a right angle viewer to use with the DP2M on a waist level tripod.

Carl, do you have an image?

scho

>but I'd also like a right angle viewer to use with the DP2M on a waist level tripod.

Carl, do you have an image?
Uwe, I haven't found one yet. I was thinking of something simple like the Hoodman, but with a mirror and right angle tube. There are right angle prism viewers for SLRs and medium format cameras, but so far I haven't seen one for compact cameras with LCDs.

ustein

Contributing Editor
In my experience it is difficult to capture wood structures with most cameras. The DP2M performed very well.