Site Sponsors
Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 2796

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Dam square has turned into a playgarden.

Michiel

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of compact tripods, I think the Velbon Ultra Voxi can't be beat. Its under $200, weights under 3lbs, and it folds up under 14". Now plenty of tripods can offer at least 2 out of the 3 of those features, but what really sets the Velbon apart is that it can go to around 60" tall without having to raise the center column

I've had plenty of compact ones before that were otherwise nice, but they only go to 44" tall and sometimes that just isnt' enough to shoot over railings etc, not to mention uncomfortable, and raising a center column up high just isn't very stable on them either

The quick leg height adjustment of the Velbon is quite novel as well. Super fast to deploy it

Bottom leg sections don't look like little whisps either, they are pretty substantial.

I use it for everything from my Nikon DSLR's to my Gigapan head, right down to compacts like the DP2m and RX100
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Calm before the storm? The media has been hyping a "Super Storm" that is brewing off the atlantic coast and due to merge with an approaching cold front from the NW. I've even received calls from the utility company warning of potential power and gas outages for up to a week. People are freaked out running around looking for generators, sump pumps, firewood, canned food, bottled water, etc. Walking around the waterfront today was an eerie experience with not a puff of wind, no birds singing, and just a dreary gray calm.

DP2M on tripod

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Millsart View Post
    Speaking of compact tripods, I think the Velbon Ultra Voxi can't be beat. Its under $200, weights under 3lbs, and it folds up under 14". Now plenty of tripods can offer at least 2 out of the 3 of those features, but what really sets the Velbon apart is that it can go to around 60" tall without having to raise the center column

I've had plenty of compact ones before that were otherwise nice, but they only go to 44" tall and sometimes that just isnt' enough to shoot over railings etc, not to mention uncomfortable, and raising a center column up high just isn't very stable on them either

The quick leg height adjustment of the Velbon is quite novel as well. Super fast to deploy it

Bottom leg sections don't look like little whisps either, they are pretty substantial.

I use it for everything from my Nikon DSLR's to my Gigapan head, right down to compacts like the DP2m and RX100
    Sounds good. I looked at this tripod on B&H and the specs note that the legs are 5 section (not so great), but the picture looks like the legs are 3 section? Which is it?

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I am checking out right now the Benro MeFoto A1350Q1A Travel Tripod With Ballhead

(Blue)

Benro MeFoto A1350Q1A Travel Tripod With Ballhead (Blue)

Seems very sturdy fully extended for such a small tripod and fold down very small.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Field 1:

[IMG]
    SDIM0493-22. Oktober 2012.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Field 2: The sun braking through

[IMG]
    SDIM0490-22. Oktober 2012.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Field 3:

[IMG]
    SDIM0491-22. Oktober 2012.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr[/IMG]

Werner
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its 5 Sections, but they cleverly torsion lock into one another, which is why it can fold to such a compact length. Saves a couple of inches this way.

The bottom section is actually pretty thick and sturdy as well, much better than my Gitzo Traveler which has little spider legs on the bottom section, not to mention costing about 5x as much.

Really got to have 5 sections as well if you want decent high and still compact size folded. 4 sections would only make it 44" tall or so, and then you'd be stooping over all the time, or two short to shoot over railings/guard rails at scenics etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Calm before the storm? The media has been hyping a "Super Storm" that is brewing off the atlantic coast and due to merge with an approaching cold front from the NW. I've even received calls from the utility company warning of potential power and gas outages for up to a week. People are freaked out running around looking for generators, sump pumps, firewood, canned food, bottled water, etc. Walking around the waterfront today was an eerie experience with not a puff of wind, no birds singing, and just a dreary gray calm.
    Nice shot Carl......the tripod really seems to make a difference. This is becoming a commonplace comment, but the detail in the full size image is astounding. I found myself wishing you could crop out the blue barrels...but when you look at the thumbnail, you barely see blue barrels.

I guess the "superstorm" hype is worth it if it saves lives. We had our tsunami warning sirens go off last night and all the inundation zones were safely evacuated in the few hours we had before the arrival of the first wave.

The wave was barely discernible......but, better safe than sorry.

Stay dry......R

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Its 5 Sections, but they cleverly torsion lock into one another, which is why it can fold to such a compact length. Saves a couple of inches this way.

The bottom section is actually pretty thick and sturdy as well, much better than my Gitzo Traveler which has little spider legs on the bottom section, not to mention costing about 5x as much.

Really got to have 5 sections as well if you want decent high and still compact size folded. 4 sections would only make it 44" tall or so, and then you'd be stooping over all the time, or two short to shoot over railings/guard rails at scenics etc
    Thanks, I'l check it out.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Nice shot Carl......the tripod really seems to make a difference. This is becoming a commonplace comment, but the detail in the full size image is astounding. I found myself wishing you could crop out the blue barrels...but when you look at the thumbnail, you barely see blue barrels.

I guess the "superstorm" hype is worth it if it saves lives. We had our tsunami warning sirens go off last night and all the inundation zones were safely evacuated in the few hours we had before the arrival of the first wave.

The wave was barely discernible......but, better safe than sorry.

Stay dry......R
    Thanks Rich. Yes, I can really see the difference in landscape shots with lots of high frequency detail, with and w/o a tripod. That was just a full frame shot, with no cropping. A longer focal length would have been nice. Glad you didn't have a significant tsunami to deal with. Sandy is due in at the NJ shore tomorrow and then we may have to be alert if it turns NW. I had two more robo calls from NYSEG today warning that they still are expecting widespread power outages in our area.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I mean, take care Carl!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of compact tripods, I think the Velbon Ultra Voxi can't be beat. . . . , but what really sets the Velbon apart is that it can go to around 60" tall without having to raise the center column
    Millsart,
    On B&H I see the maximum height of the Velbon listed as 5.05', so could the 60 inches be the maximum height? 60 inches without raising the center column would be very nice.
    "Maximum Height 5.05' (1.54 m)"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone else cut down their DP2M usage ? I find that when I'm leaving the house these days I'm back to grabbing my little Sony RX100 more again.

I still think the DP2m is a fantastic camera, but its one that I'm really only seeing myself grabbing for specific photo outings where I know it will excel.

Again, its fantastic IQ, and with a good subject, composition, lighting etc, will produce some stunning images, but not everything the camera see's turns to gold.

Still impressive, but after several hundred images ran through SPP, just isn't that exciting or novel.

Anyone else finding their Merrill is now more of simply a high quality and very specific tool, rather than a new toy ??
    shortened
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The DP2 M I bought just last month was the first new camera I've had in years. The previous camera (and one I still use on rare occasion now) is Panasonic's G1 which was the first new camera I had since Leica's Digilux 2 (which was the first camera that I personally felt proved that a digital camera could produce images good enough to equal and possibly surpass film).

Yes the new FF darlings, Nikon's D600 and the yet to be seen 6D from Canon are other tantalizing prospects that can deliver the goods I seek (and they are much less bulky). And while I've considered them like every other camera I've considered as a second fiddle to the DP2M I keep asking myself the same two questions, "With the way I shoot and the subjects I typically shoot under what different circumstances would you use it? And would the DP2 M still be a viable choice?"

And I keep coming up with the same answers. "Quite a few." And "Yes."

So call me among the hopelessly hooked by this intoxicating little camera.
    Shortened
    Actually itís very interesting to hear peopleís every-day experience with the Merrillís, and which camera they grab instead or still do grab ... in everyday or special circumstances...after things have settled down. And for those with both the 1 & 2Mís, the choice between these is very interesting.
    Please more of that!
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okť Thorkil,

Zoom and Teleshots I grab the Sony NEX-7 (People from a distance, harbours, ships etc) Less so for the Facade and Windowdressing series.
    It is also a nice travel camera.

For streetshots and portraits I grab the Ricoh GXR and with the Zeiss Biogon as well for my Facade and Windowdressing series.
    The quality of the results of this camera are always surprising me.
    There is no AA filter, so the pure RAW files are very sharp.
    With the NEX you can dial up sharpness to 90 while the Ricoh needs only 50 in ACR. And we all know that you even have to dial down the Sigma files !
    The metering of the Ricoh is great too. Although the Ricoh has the nicest body of them all, design, feel etc, it could use an upgrade as well as the M mount Module.
    If the body would be upgraded, buffer, build in and better viewfinder, possibly an articulated screen, and the M mount module would be upgraded to FF 24mp,
    I would not need anything else!

At this point only Leica hits a home run. But it is big money and I don't need/want the rangefinder experience anymore.

The Sigma DP2 is great for architecture, landscapes and all the other cases you need pure sharpness.
    It is not an easy snap away camera, although it looks like it.
    You need to be carefull and take your time, otherwise you come home with a lot of out of focus and not very well composed shots.
    Also due, in my case anyway, to looking at a screen outside in daylight. it feels like gambling somehow.
    So take your time before you throw another 50MP on your card and computer.

So my ideal would be an upgraded Ricoh and it is no hassle at all to have the Sigma aside for it's plain sharpness.

Michiel

From yesterday at Vlissingen.

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Michael
    Thank you for a well-explained and illustrating answer!
    Yes, the GXR I have with me all the time, it makes rich and well-done pictures!
    And it makes one feel friendly and easy connected, sort of close to my old M6-feeling. If it wasn't so bulky I would be tempted by Keith's pictures to buy an additional zoom just to have the AF for silly and thrusting shoots (+ the 16Mp), wonderful sharpness, or just Keith's ability's(?).
    Yes I would guess so, about the Merrill's, exquisite picture, like with the SWC, and take your time, no hip-shots (my dream was hip-shooting with the SWC).
    Earlier on I was impatience about cameras and bought before thinking twice. Now I'm in the opposite ditch.
    And actually Iím tempted to buy a GRD for a period of silly shot and REAL pocket abilityís.
    And then wait a bit for the hassy feeling in a Merrill-machine, perhaps.
    (And yes a full-frame GXR M-module would be a nice thing, but perhaps 24Mp would be too heavy loaded with too slim pixels for the solid Ricoh-wise manner?).
    It's perhaps all about how much or how less chaotic/disciplined/impatience one are arranged with between the ears, which camera you would like to grab most of the time
    Thorkil

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Actually itís very interesting to hear peopleís every-day experience with the Merrillís, and which camera they grab instead or still do grab ... in everyday or special circumstances...after things have settled down. And for those with both the 1 & 2Mís, the choice between these is very interesting.
    Please more of that!
    Thorkil
    I was going to push the PayPal button to buy a Merril when I managed to stop myself. I bought a Pentax K5lls instead - it arrives tomorrow. I have settled in on the Sony 16 Mp chip and have five cameras that use it (Ricoh GXR, Sony Nex 5N, Sony A37, Pentax K5 and Pentax K-01). I suspect the K5lls will have the same sensor as the Ricoh A16 Zoom (no AA and very sharp)
    There is reason in my madness:
    The A37 uses all my Sony A and Minolta legacy glass from my film camera collection
    The Nex 5N lets me use any lens from my vintage lens collection, and Sony A lenses with my LA-EA2 adapter.
    The Pentax K5 is my only waterproof camera - I have 2 WR lenses for it. It also is a fine example of a traditional DSLR - mirrors do have some advantages.
    The K-01 is a really nice street camera that takes all my Pentax K and M42 lenses
    Like Michiel - the Ricoh is my favorite of the lot. Best body, best interface, best all-round. I think I have every lensor made for it. The M-Mount can use my Minolta MD lenses.

The Merrill would be too limiting for me, although I guess one day, one will land up in my hands . I don't like using anything other than Lightroom for PS.

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post

The Merrill would be too limiting for me, although I guess one day, one will land up in my hands . I don't like using anything other than Lightroom for PS.

Keith
    Some of your careful composed shots would really shine with the DP2, Keith!

BTW The camera is also great for layered scenes. See my post.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not completely vanished. Still admiring the work of many posted here.

From Hatfield forest today. I have also posted a monochrome shot taken with the DP1M in the DP1M thread.

I used a Lee Filters hard ND grad filter for this and a few other shots taken today. This is their 75 system designed for smaller cameras using their 49mm adapter ring - really nice set up.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice to hear and see from you Quentin! Good shot!
    Forgot to tell you that this #910 leaf-shot is just outstanding, by the way
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

DP2M - using the new Foveon Classic Blue setting, btw.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I used a Lee Filters hard ND grad filter for this and a few other shots taken today. This is their 75 system designed for smaller cameras using their 49mm adapter ring - really nice set up.
    Quentin, this is the first digital camera I have owned where I am seriously thinking of investing in some filters - been checking out the 75 system at the Lee website.

Great capture!

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone please share shots taken with closeup attachment and your feedback. I am thinking of getting it for flower shots, would appreciate some shots and feedback

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    There is reason in my madness:
    Hi Keith
    I completely understand your 'madness' - Entirely rational I'd say.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Sagar,

I ordered the close-up attachment with the camera back in September and I have to say it's quite good. The lens glass is very hefty with a beefy collar. Focusing is tack sharp and reasonably quick (not PDAF quick but fine for macro work). Here are some shots I took at a weekly classic car show the second day using the camera. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by peterb; 18th November 2012 at 22:52.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keith,

As Jono says, perfectly understandable. Irrational, but understandable

And the question about the close up lens- pretty good, not true macro, but it does get you closer: see the following messages for examples I have posted: #238 and #254
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NYC a week ago,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Louis,
    I tried the Classic Blue setting on some of my DP2m images and yes indeed it made my sky's blue but turned my greens bright green, no good for me...

Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    DP2M - using the new Foveon Classic Blue setting, btw.

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Picked up a DP2m after seeing some great photos on here. Still not sure about skin color.

Arun

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting my DP2M today - I know there's been a lot of talk about how to best process the images, but I wanted to know if there was any consensus on specific settings for the camera itself. Basically do I have to do anything specific when I set the camera up, or do the files work as traditional RAW files where I can manipulate quite a bit of it in post.

Post Thanks / Like

The files are the furthest thing from traditional RAW files. You need to use Sigma's software, and while its honestly not quite as bad as people make it out, it requires a workflow all of its own when it comes to color settings, white balance and sharpening, not to mention the range of adjustments possible with the X3 fill light.

Other than that, after exporting as a 16 big TIF, they can be treated like a typical file and processed in LR etc.

Its a double edged sword in a since because SPP is tough to use, but some of the adjustments can only be done in SPP, yet others you'd rather wait to do in LR, for one reason, because some adjustments crash SPP

Post Thanks / Like

The files are the furthest thing from traditional RAW files. You need to use Sigma's software, and while its honestly not quite as bad as people make it out, it requires a workflow all of its own when it comes to color settings, white balance and sharpening, not to mention the range of adjustments possible with the X3 fill light.

Other than that, after exporting as a 16 big TIF, they can be treated like a typical file and processed in LR etc.

Its a double edged sword in a since because SPP is tough to use, but some of the adjustments can only be done in SPP, yet others you'd rather wait to do in LR, for one reason, because some adjustments crash SPP
    Oh, that's not what I meant. I understand the need to use SPP, I meant more about playing with the settings on the camera itself. I assume if I shoot RAW, everything can be manipulated by SPP (like a traditional RAW file)...?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It' s all in this thread.

All settings can be manipulated in SPP. WB etc.

Expose for the shadow.

In camera sharpness -2 or to your preference.

ISO between 100 and 200 preferably. (Can be adjusted in more steps with the latest firmware)

Focus carefully!

Try it and have fun.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another example of the extraordinary detail this camera is capable of.

I was just looking at this photograph when I realized these walls are full of nails.
    Had not noticed it in reality.

Michiel

Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 2nd November 2012 at 16:37. Reason: The detail was 200% by accident and didn't look sharp at all.

Post Thanks / Like

All B&W in Lightroom.

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

November colors (or lack thereof). DP2M on tripod in the drizzle.

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Hatfield Forrest today; the first, DP1M, second with DP2M

Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin, beautiful shots. I especially like the wider shot - I expect that the textures of the different subjects are outstanding.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Quentin, beautiful shots. I especially like the wider shot - I expect that the textures of the different subjects are outstanding.

LouisB
    Thanks Louis

One more, of the lake

DP2M, with Polariser.

Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nicely done Quentin! The cattails are fabulous!
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, way too many uber-sharp shots here. This one is from a trip up the Pacific Coast this last week.. in the fog, into the sun, and then mangled in LR and NIK ColorEFX.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Thanks Louis

One more, of the lake

DP2M, with Polariser.

Beautiful shots, Quentin!

How does the DP2m work with Polariser? is it difficult?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JCL212 View Post
    Beautiful shots, Quentin!

How does the DP2m work with Polariser? is it difficult?
    Thanks - and the polariser works very well. It really added the right amount of contrast to the sky in the lake shot.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Rand 47; Real good filmsetlike shot. I quess she didn't jump.....

Here is one from an erodet, massive aluminium, sculpture of mine in my garden in France shot @ 2.8

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It is still grim and gray November around here, but when I took my afternoon walk down in the gorge today a bit of color caught my eye in the woods. Someone spent some time collecting colorful leaves representing a transition of fall colors and then arranged them on a dead tree near the gorge trail. I was much happier to see this form of graffiti compared to spray painted bad "art" and obscenities on rocks and trees. Bad enough to endure this c--p in the city, but it really makes my blood boil when I see it in natural areas.

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Point Lobos on a grey day . . .

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Something a little less literal . . .

Bronze on Monterey Plaza