The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

P

Photofreund66

Hi
I'm very excited about the Sigma Dp2M. What i miss to see are good people pictures. Nobody want to show them? How about colors for skin? I like to picture humans and good transitions of skin and colour is important. Is the contrast of this combo to much for smooth rendering?
Good examples to be posted I estimate a lot. Thank you in advance. This cam thrilles me.
I'm a passionated photographer with a lot of experience and such a bargain of cam would make life very interesting.

Rich M

As Carl knows.....I sat on the fence for an entire week trying to decide if I should open the box and shoot the DP1M.

When the Merrill's were first announced, I always thought that the DP1M would be my logical choice. I wait listed on B&H and received one of their first shipments. In the meantime, I got cold feet.....I read the first few reviews and was concerned about the apparent lack of sharpness with the 19mm lens (in comparison to the DP2M). At that moment, I thought it extravagant to have both.

I knew from the forum that Carl had gotten both and pestered him a bit about his thoughts (okay....maybe more than a bit ;) ).
Anyways....yesterday I said ":wtf:" and took it out for a spin.

Some farm shots....

The detail in the picture is astounding and the 19mm lens does not disappoint.

I didn't do much to these in SPP......just basically converted them to TIFF and imported them in LR. Colors are pretty true.

R

Thorkil

Thank you for the stunning pictures Rich!
Although it doesn't help one getting les confused in choosing I guess.
Yes, one might have to have both!
Did you shoot a WhiBal-card or something, or just straight away? AWB or sunshine-setting?
Thorkil
..and while writing the last ones came in...very impressive too!! Do you opload full-size?

Thorkil

ps. perhaps a little soft in the corners? But that could be, being close to the subject, that the DOF isn't sufficient enough, to get the edges secure "inside" the DOF.
Thorkil

pflower

Just got mine today. Should have done some work but instead wandered around snapping aimlessly.

First thoughts:

1. Build quality excellent.
2. Very clear and intuitive menu and control system. I didn't even have to open the manual.
3. Like everyone else I am astonished at the detail. It may even out do my H3D 39 in certain respects.
4. SPP not quite as terrible as I had feared. Perfectly useable but still a pain to do anything with. But ... Oh for Adobe support.

Some snaps exported without any adjustment first as 16 bit tiffs to Lightroom and then re-exported from LR with minimal adjustments to jpegs. Nothing to get excited about.

scho

how are you composing and focusing?
Hi John,
When I'm shooting landscapes (most of the time) I use the LCD for composing and autofocus. The focus point can be easily re-sized and shifted around as needed. The 2 sec timer is a convenient for shutter release at slow shutter speeds. I have no complaints about autofocus, it seems to be very accurate and quick enough for my needs. I also use the LCD and AF for handheld casual shooting most of the time. I have optical finders mounted on both the DP1M and DP2M, but only use them if it is too bright to see the LCD clearly. So far I haven't done any serious macro work, but that might be the time when I would use manual focus (which seems to work OK).

JMaher

I certainly don't need (or even want) another camera but I keep seeing great shots from people who I clearly remember from other forums. Perhaps we all change cameras too frequently.:)

Right now I am still shooting Canon when I need off camera ETTL or want full frame for portraits. Very happily shooting an OM-D for just about anything else.

What's the draw here? Why this one?

Jim

jlm

Workshop Member
just picked up the DP1-M

will be making a grip for it, similar to my OMD grip, it will allow battery and card access

Farnesworth

Just got this one today.

Initial thoughts (coming from D800, M9, M8 OM-D, X=Pro 1):

At or below 400 asa possibly the sharpest / most detailed camera I've ever owned. 3D everywhere you look.

Converts wonderfully to B&W... reminiscent of the M8

1,600 and above utterly hopeless.

Passable AF. Good UI. Horrid battery life

Full sized version of picture below is at Sigma DP2 Merrill

peterb

Just got this one today.

Initial thoughts (coming from D800, M9, M8 OM-D, X=Pro 1):

At or below 400 asa possibly the sharpest / most detailed camera I've ever owned. 3D everywhere you look.

Converts wonderfully to B&W... reminiscent of the M8

1,600 and above utterly hopeless.

Passable AF. Good UI. Horrid battery life

Full sized version of picture below is at Sigma DP2 Merrill

Stunning. Just got mine today, too!

scho

just picked up the DP1-M

will be making a grip for it, similar to my OMD grip, it will allow battery and card access
Sounds good John. A grip with some extra battery power would be even better.;)