Site Sponsors
Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 2796

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Michiel .... I was not referring to your image. I see it far more in images that have considerable blacks and various grey tones or B&W conversions. Images with a high variance in colors it does not seem as visible.

Guess if I am considering it I better learn its name ... sorry guys "DP2m"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I understood. I was only joking

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Jim DE: Perhaps the "grain" is real in the b&w shots due to higher iso, or just noise added for artistic effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi you all!
    Recently i was browsing my friends travelblog (From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) - ADVrider) with wonderful pictures and kept thinking, what a equipment he must have to take all these beautiful shots. Then I found out that the only camera he had with him was Sigma DP2, the 15MPx one. I couldn't believe that this kind of small camera could take this kind of photos, so I googled, and found this thread with all the eyecandy out here. I was sold
    Now, my old camera is in sale and Sigma DP2M in shipment from Germany and hopefully arriving soon enough.
    So my question is memory cards, what size and speed are you using? What's good enough for DP2M?

Heiki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valka View Post
    Hi you all!
    Recently i was browsing my friends travelblog (From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) - ADVrider) with wonderful pictures and kept thinking, what a equipment he must have to take all these beautiful shots. Then I found out that the only camera he had with him was Sigma DP2, the 15MPx one. I couldn't believe that this kind of small camera could take this kind of photos, so I googled, and found this thread with all the eyecandy out here. I was sold
    Now, my old camera is in sale and Sigma DP2M in shipment from Germany and hopefully arriving soon enough.
    So my question is memory cards, what size and speed are you using? What's good enough for DP2M?

Heiki
    Heiki

Enjoy your camera - it can take some remarkable pictures and even become a little bit of an addiction.

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.

Others may disagree and perhaps someone has discovered a super fast cast that really does shorten write times but I suspect whatever you do you'll have to be patient.

It's a bit like Guinness. Some of the best things in life just cannot be hurried.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Lee
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Heiki

Enjoy your camera - it can take some remarkable pictures and even become a little bit of an addiction.

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.

Others may disagree and perhaps someone has discovered a super fast cast that really does shorten write times but I suspect whatever you do you'll have to be patient.

It's a bit like Guinness. Some of the best things in life just cannot be hurried.

LouisB
    Couldn't agree more on the Guiness thing Anyway, to be sure my Sigma doesn't get held back by some slow memory card I ordered this: SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC and SDXC UHS-I Memory Cards by SanDisk
    Will do a comparison with some cheaper card when I get hold on my card and camera.
    Hope the sun will be out when my camera arrives. Days (weeks) can be cloudy here in Estonia.

Heiki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    ...SO much detail and clarity that when the files are downsized you get this pixilation salt and pepper grain appearance?
    Yes, DP Merrill files require appropriate technique for downsizing. I normally use FastStone, the donation only viewer, to downsize a large TIF to a JPG for the Web. It offers several algorithms, and your choice matters. Lanczos2 is noticeably sharper than Lanczos3, so avoid the former. But I am no expert; let others suggest methods.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just make them 72 dpi and save them for the Web in PS.

From today.

Michiel

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I posted a version of this over on Fred's site, on the other DP2M thread. This is SOOC Raw, -1.0 sharpening and that was all, from memory. Getting WB is tricky with this camera, and I think I was -0.3EV underexposed, too (that was not intentional!). The slight greenish tint on the RHS of her face is as shot; the main window light comes from a huge very green garden.

This is my Mother, who hates being photographed, window light (behind me), handheld.

I wold love to know how you all do frames; I have to admit no love for Photoshop, but do own CS4, the extended version.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where you'll realize the advantage of a modern fast card if when offloading files. I'm using a 64MB Sandisk Ultra SDXC with a USB 3 reader. I compared it to a couple of other class 10 cards that are a year old and felt the time it saved me was well worth it.

Of course it's been a long time since I had a camera that created such anticipation waiting for the images to come up for review after shooting. My Hassy and Leicas, I know what I'm going to see there, none of the excitement of the DP2M.

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Getting WB is tricky with this camera...
    Just don't use AWB and it's very consistent. If in daylight, set it to daylight.

Your mom has a very natural skin tone and her blouse looks white on my Spectraview display.

Post Thanks / Like

The slight greenish tint on the RHS of her face is as shot; the main window light comes from a huge very green garden.
    I was just about to add to my post that the green cast looks like room influence on her skin and then I looked at her shoulder. Lots of green coming from that window.

Post Thanks / Like

Heiki

LouisB
    Couldn't agree more on the Guiness thing As for memory card, I ordered SanDisk's SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I, what should have writing speed about 90MB/s. Just to be sure my Sigma doesn't get held back by some crappy SD card. Will do some testing when I get my hand on them.
    Keep the photos flowing meanwhile

Heiki

Pete_G

The card you ordered will be fine but it won't necessarily speed up write times, I think the DP2M bus works at 25MB per second, no more. With internal processing and writing, expect about 13 seconds for a file to written to the card, although the buffer will allow 7 exposures before it gets filled up and needs to be flushed. Still, you should be delighted with the camera.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wold love to know how you all do frames; I have to admit no love for Photoshop, but do own CS4, the extended version.
    Here is a fast color corrected framed copy of your very nice portrait of your mother....

Take PS and under IMAGE take the Canvas Size...check relative and add whatever you want....even pic color as desired.

Kit's Mother

Bob
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Winter leaves - well its been very cold here!

Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, that is a fantastic potrait. So much character. Well done.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, that is a fantastic potrait. So much character. Well done.

LouisB
    I second that.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Winter leaves - well its been very cold here!

Beautiful Quentin. Did you use the close-up lens? We don't see hoar frost that often in our area.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl, thanks - but no close up lens used on this occasion, just the DP2m. We get quite a lot of hoar frost where we are. This morning was stunningly beautiful. Oddly my DP3m scepticism has changed to rampant enthusiasm partly because of its macro capability. I hope it's released here in the UK soon, otherwise I will be asking you to buy one for me
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Kit

You have a beautiful mother, captured beautifully.

I think you should tell her she posed really well ... and the look in the eye, well ... !

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moonwatch (using the close up lens)

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some frozen dead grass next to a slough...

Neil
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally a little sun, around the house: Refections

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lake just outside Amsterdam.

Michiel

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a two shot pano of the lobby of the Rookery building in Chicago. The interior was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the early 1900's. The interior has been beautifully restored. You are not allowed to use tripods to photograph, so this is handheld at: 400, f2.8, and 1/60.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like

Castle:

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Predictably (for me) the best shots of a short session today were ruined by camera shake but I managed to pull one or two from the bunch.

I love the way that the Merrill renders water and fine light.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys! Good news to all Mac users. Iridient Digital has released Raw Developer 2.0 with Sigma SD1/DP1/DP2/DP3 Merrill support. Haven't had a chance to try it out but surely it's good news that Sigma X3F is getting wider support. More info here: Iridient Digital - Iridient Developer Version History

Heiki

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had this little camera for a short while, really amazing IQ.
    A few random shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all

This is my first post. Landed here due to interest in Sigma DP2 Merrill, and I promise that my interest has not diminished, so I just ordered it along with hood and viewfinder, but unfortunately it is not in stock, so I have to wait in suspense.

There is an incredibly friendly communication here on this website - it can not be appreciated enough.

And there have been some very good input, not least the thread starter, but also others, thank you for that.

I have read all the posts, every single post, I think - it took me the last 2 days - 26 pages, about 1200 posts !!-

----

I shoot otherwise the D3x, D7000 and Olympus E-M5 with particular Olympus 75mm f/1.8 (fantastic lens) + IR converted D40, but some might suggest that these cameras are a little on the shelf when I get the new baby, at least as regards landscapes and cityscapes.

-----

One thing that has not been discussed is the use of flash (unless I have overlooked it ? ) ?

I hope I can use my Nikon flashes (SB 900+800+600 + 400) In manual mode in both the camera as in the flash (I do not think they can be used in addition to manual mode, and not CLS, but I would be happy if just manual mode in flash and camera) - some experience here?

Sometimes you can have good use, also in landscapes ("strong" foreground), from a flash, and you can use this camera for portraits also, I have seen here, even it perhaps is best suited for landscapes and cityscapes, but the camera is pocketable, so together with e.g. the small SB 400 I am dressed for nearly everything, always, because I plan to carry this camera always.
    Last edited by Kyndel; 20th January 2013 at 22:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndel View Post
    One thing that has not been discussed is the use of flash (unless I have overlooked it ? ) ?

I hope I can use my Nikon flashes (SB 900+800+600 + 400) In manual mode in both the camera as in the flash (I do not think they can be used in addition to manual mode) - some experience here?
    I'm not a Nikon user so I can't answer your question about Nikon flashes specifically but I can tell you that with the DP2M in manual mode I've successfully triggered a Quantum flash set to manual. The duration of the trigger is quite long, as though the camera were waiting for a confirmation that the flash has fired but isn't receiving it, but it works.

And welcome to the forum. I agree, it is a very nice group that's willing to share a lot of information.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Kirk, it looks like I can use my Nikon flashes in manual = Very happy to read this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Bob for the PS heads up, and the excellent CC on my Mother's image. How/what did you do? It's a real improvement (and that green colour cast on the RHS of her face is gone: thanks!). And I would like to make a print for her, so if you can tell me what you did, I will fix the TIFF original.

And thanks, Lee: I will be sure to tell her!

To Kyndal: I am using an Nikon SB-30 to trigger studio strobes and it works perfectly with zero delay—but I do not have an SB-400 any more, so cannot confirm whether this works.

@ Quentin—I am with you on the DP3, and I am hoping that someone at Sigma will convince management to make a DP4, with a 21mm EFOV, or thereabouts. I am using the CV 12/5.6 on the X-E1 for this images and the results are excellent, but they are not DP Merrill excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

"To Kyndal: I am using an Nikon SB-30 to trigger studio strobes and it works perfectly with zero delay—but I do not have an SB-400 any more, so cannot confirm whether this works."

Thank you, Kit, and that means that you also can use it as flash, not just to trigger ?

Post Thanks / Like

@ Kyndel (sorry about mis-spelling your name): Yes, definitely; I will look for and post link to a thread where I showed my setup; hang on.

Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash - FM Forums

It works perfectly and sits very well on the DP2M.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Kit, then I am 99,99% sure it can fire every Nikon flash I have - I want to be very pocketable (you can not say I am with the very huge D3x, and also not with the E-M5 with the (fine) 75mm,

but with Sigma DP2 Merrill + the viewfinder in another pocket together with the small SB 400 I am "dressed" for a lot of things, just in a pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Get dressed, and enjoy!

Cheers, KL

Post Thanks / Like

Arne: image #1 is superb, and looks as if it will print very well.

Norm: unbelievably good for hand-held! PTGui?

And Michiel, W. Utsch, et al.: just lovely work. I will post a panorama tomorrow; what an inspiration this thread is!

Post Thanks / Like

@Kyndel
    Welcome to the "best" and most friendly Photoforum!

My experience with flash and the DP2M:

1. I used an old Nikon SB 80 DX flash mounted to the hotshoe (A or M mode). The cam triggers the flash, but you have to use shutter speeds shorter than 1/125. With longer speeds you will get shadowed areas in the pic. Sync is not correct.

2. Pocket Wizard radio triggers (Canon model in basic trigger mode) on cam and flash. Works perfect with all my flashes (Nikon and Canon in A or M mode) Due to the cam's leaf shutter at all speeds. Sync is always correct.

3 . I bought the Sigma flash ET-610 DG ST, this flash works perfect on the DP2M (TTL). You have to watch the aperture and shutter combination, not all combinations work. This is true with or without flash, have a look to the cams manual.

Post Thanks / Like

W.Utsch: Thanks for the welcome.

Do I get you right: I can shoot at 1/125 and slower (as 1/60 and so on), but not 1/250 and faster = 1/2000 and so on?

First I interpretated it the other way, but when you write that the corners get darkers, it mus be this way---or ..... ?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Kyndel:

No, your first interpretation is right.

With LONGER speeds as 1/125 = 1/100,1/60 etc you will get the upper part of the pics shadowed. With SHORTER speeds as 1/125 = 1/250 and up the synchronization is OK.
    Thats what others have reported as well.
    Sorry, probably no good news for your Nikon flashes. They should however work with a radio trigger.
    As said, because the DPM's have a leaf shutter , there is no need of a FP or other high-speed Sync mode on the flash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Kyndel:

No, your first interpretation is right.

With LONGER speeds as 1/125 = 1/100,1/60 etc you will get the upper part of the pics shadowed. With SHORTER speeds as 1/125 = 1/250 and up the synchronization is OK.
    Thats what others have reported as well.
    Sorry, probably no good news for your Nikon flashes. They should however work with a radio trigger.
    As said, because the DPM's have a leaf shutter , there is no need of a FP or other high-speed Sync mode on the flash.
    Thank you,

....interesting (sort of) because it looks like the Nikon flash behaves as FP with this dark upper site, but:

I think I can work around it with the flash output in manual mode - we will see, thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plate

Bit of colourful fun.
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 21st January 2013 at 08:25.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arne: image #1 is superb, and looks as if it will print very well.
    Thank you Kit! As it happens you are quite right, the print shows excellent presense and is pin sharp even at A2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, thank you for your kind comments on the Rookery pano. It's my most successful interior shot, even with the slightly blown globes. The photos were massaged in LR4 and then a simple pano blend merge in PS6. The Rookery is sometimes used by commercial agencies as background. An individual photographer on his own can only shoot from the floor of the lobby.

Your photo of your Mom is marvelous. The green cast in flesh tones is a well-known problem of DP2m users, as is shadowing in interior light. I'm going to show a Rookery photo with a green cast:

The green cast around the gold gilt occurs in areas where the skylight is shadowed. I tried reducing it using both the fringing tool in SPP and LR4. SPP was more effective, but also removed the gold gilt. LR4 was less effective, but left the gold gilt. The photo you see is after defringing in LR4. The DP2m needs light, preferably natural light. The first photo was successful because of the skylight. I love the DP2m,but also carry another camera when I shoot interiors.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From last October.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today.
    It was actually to cold to handle those tiny buttons with gloves.

Old bridge and Philips headquarters.

Michiel