The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

I'm not sure just how much of a fairy tale it is. These are 3 "1 up and 1 down" cottages joined together plus a large 1960s extension. Probably built in about 1620 and just one brick thick with no foundations (Read Cold in winter). Legend has it they were sun-up to sun-rise cottages - i.e. what the labourer could build with assistance in that time - shades of the film Witness.

I am interested in hedges at the moment - man made ordered nature attacked by nature itself - I made a lot of pictures with both cameras over the weekend. Lots of texture but very green (SPP not good on green). I think I agree with your assessment. If I had to choose between them purely on image quality I would go with the hasselblad, but it is quite close run.

I have just made some A2 prints from both. Again "different" but not startlingly different in terms of detail. I think I might experimenting with reducing the sharpness of the DP2 files which can seem to me a bit harsh. SPP is a pain if you want to fine tune (may not even be possible) and I suspect there is going to be a very long learning curve to get the best out of it. I still pray for Adobe support.
Well. all we individuals are a product of the society, we are, so to say, riding at the shoulders of the society. And our society is a product of history. So...even though an old fairy tale house isn't a frairy tale to live in (apart from when you keep the eyes open and look at all the details, craftmanship...) we just have to live humble in our history, we can't exist without it, without beeing utterly changed, in a way we don't want...well, I know what you are talking about allthough I just live in a very modern house, only from 1898 :)
Apart from that, I will put my conclusion different: where the DPM's are at the edge of looking overnatural(no, thats an exaggeration), the Hassy picture is refined, precise, but also relaxed and leaned back in a way that make my say at the edge of being boring. So choosing between them I would prefer the DP2M because it render in a sort of challinging way, it challenge my eyes and it makes me feel unaware smiling in a special way the Hassy don't make me do.
Well, perhaps its because of those Fuji lenses at the modern Hassys(that seems to treat my eyes in a allmost dull way), because opening my old "Forum" magazines makes me smile in allmost the same way, with all those old Hassy lenses.
So I still think the DP2M(perhaps also the 1, a bit) will be able to make friends with my Hassy SWC on the shelf.
Thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

Decided to use the camera in anger today rather than random testing. The first shot must be one of the most famous doors in Princelet Street in London's Spitalfields. It certainly has appeared in numerous UK TV productions set in the Victorian or Georgian period. I've never before been able to capture the ghastly pink and port wine colours of the 'decorations'.

4 Princelet Street

33A Fournier Street - photographed this many times over the years, a couple of years ago I won an Honourable Mention in the IPA awards for this shot. I called the shot "300 Years of History in Spitalfields" because you have Huguenot casesments either side of a Victorian hording on which the youth of Brick Lane have left their mark.

This is a very puzzling camera. I can't quite believe what I see on the screen for the price or the packaging. This may well be the best IQ of any digital camera I have owned or used. The sharpness is outstanding, the colouration, microcontrast and feeling of depth are amazing. The output easily meets and exceeds the results of scanning 6x9 negatives. Indeed, I was hoping this camera might relieve me of the burden of lugging my Fuji GSW690III and it will: it is now on ebay.

If Sony are seriously expecting nearly three grand for the RX1 and Leica are already getting £1600+ for the X2 (let alone the stratospheric prices for the M9 and the new 'M') why on earth is this a £800 camera? I don't want to prejudge the RX1 but if the Zeiss lens is any sharper than the output of the DP2 Merrill then it will be too sharp and unusable.

Sigma may know how to sell lenses but they don't have the first clue how to sell cameras.

Mind you, not that I am complaining. Might snap up a DP1 as well before the company comes to its senses, hires some proper marketing muscle and doubles or triples their prices.

LouisB
Exquisite colours and tones! (splendid words(!), but don't speak so loud Louis, Sigma might read this thread!) :)
Thorkil

V

Vivek

Could not agree more, Louis....and to think a few idiots said the DP2M was overpriced, mainly because it says "Sigma" on the front :ROTFL:

Quentin
I don't know if I ever said this out loud but this idiot does think it is overpriced. What it does not offer ( interchangeable lenses, fast AF, fast recording, integrated EVF, easy post processing,....) makes it overpriced for me and it isn't even in my radar to elicit any interest to look up the possible vendors.

Sapphie

You have all gone quite mad with some sort of forum-incestuous enthusiasm! And there I was tryng to hold off ...

Is it possible for the forum to have an option to say 'Like All posts since last visit'?

Lee

Thorkil

I don't know if I ever said this out loud but this idiot does think it is overpriced. What it does not offer ( interchangeable lenses, fast AF, fast recording, integrated EVF, easy post processing,....) makes it overpriced for me and it isn't even in my radar to elicit any interest to look up the possible vendors.
Well...we shall then try to treat the minority's in a proper way, with appropriate foregiveness :)
Thorkil

Thorkil

You have all gone quite mad with some sort of forum-incestuous enthusiasm! And there I was tryng to hold off ...

Is it possible for the forum to have an option to say 'Like All posts since last visit'?

Lee
...and by those who haven’t…..we, those of us who have(seen the light), will have to ask for forgiveness :)
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Well, Lee, we have all been infected by Sigmatosis, an incurable enthusiasm for DPM images:D. Thing is I don't want to be cured as I like the side effects. I was one of the first to be infected but it now looks like the disease is unstoppable...I can only offer my sincere apologies...:rolleyes:

scho

A few more shots from DC with the DP2M and DP1M.

The Weiwei installation at the Hirschhorn

LARGER

White House. Note tripod with binoculars on roof. An SS agent was up there scanning the crowd just after I took this shot.

LARGER

WWII Memorial at night. Hand held, but braced on a railing.

LARGER

Discovery at Air/Space Museum. Can still see burn marks form last re-entry.

LARGER

Enola Gay. B-29 bomber that dropped first A bomb at Hiroshima.

LARGER

Sapphie

Well, the DP2M seems to be on back order everywhere in the UK at the moment and not many stores normally stock Sigma cameras ...

Lee

Michiel Schierbeek

Mine will be delevered today but unfortunatly/fortunatly I am in Lisbon at the moment. Just one day to late to take it with me. :deadhorse:
So Sigma Benelux (Houten) has the DP2 M in stock I think.

Michiel

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I was one of the first to be infected but it now looks like the disease is unstoppable..

Yes you spread the virus :). There is now no hope for mankind anymore. The good news some are still not infected.

retow

Nah, it's not a Swiss army knife, that it is not. And as such it would be ridiculously overpriced. But it does one thing better, by country miles, than any other digital camera I ever had the privilege to upload files from, no matter the price:clap::clap:

V

Vivek

Ok, may be I should not have said anything about the price. Since I have ~ half a dozen (various brands/formats) digital cameras unused at the moment (after they have been quite used and some dismantled and used for experiments, etc), I want to make sure that the next camera I buy is very useful and won't sit around.

Is the DP1/2M equipped with an electronic shutter?

Someone has modified one DP with a M bayonet to make it an interchangeable lens cam (Original source is in the thread): Sigma DP1 modification - Chinese translation help needed

Quentin_Bargate

Ok, may be I should not have said anything about the price. Since I have ~ half a dozen (various brands/formats) digital cameras unused at the moment (after they have been quite used and some dismantled and used for experiments, etc), I want to make sure that the next camera I buy is very useful and won't sit around.

Is the DP1/2M equipped with an electronic shutter?

Someone has modified one DP with a M bayonet to make it an interchangeable lens cam (Original source is in the thread): Sigma DP1 modification - Chinese translation help needed
Daft idea. Do that with a Merrill and you'd be turning a great camera in to just another ordinary one. I have plenty of those already...

Quentin

vdeakin

Alas, all Sigma DP cameras have shutters in the lens unlike the ones they made for NEX. I've discussed that when DP2M was announced with Luis from
SIGMA CUM LAUDE, and he rather quickly brought me back to the reality of life. That DP1 mod made in China used a makeshift shutter placed in front of a lens, if I remember it correctly.

V

Vivek

Alas, all Sigma DP cameras have shutters in the lens unlike the ones they made for NEX. I've discussed that when DP2M was announced with Luis from
SIGMA CUM LAUDE, and he rather quickly brought me back to the reality of life. That DP1 mod made in China used a makeshift shutter placed in front of a lens, if I remember it correctly.
Thanks for your post. :)