Site Sponsors
Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 2796

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Thank you very much for showing this.

I have just got the Sigma viewfinder - the missing focus-point is not a problem for me, you can learn that,

.... but there is no dioptri, and that is a problem for me, even I do not wear glasses generel, only for reading, but I have dioptri in all my other cameras, and I can see now how important that is = I do not like to look at a blurred frame without dioptri, so I think I will return the Sigma-viewfinder og perhaps use your solution.

Post Thanks / Like

First shot with the close up lens on the DP2m

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if a viewfinder w/o diopter adjustment will work for me either.

On any other cameras I use I have them, and I always need to dial them in.

I may just have to try one w fixed adjustment and find out if it works for me.

If it doesn't I will probably go w Ustein's solution.

I wonder if an shoe-mounted EVF from another manufacturer would work on the Sigma ?

When you install the shoe-mounted Sigma flash does anyone know if it just makes a connection ? Or does it pull a voltage off there as well ?

Having a shoe-mounted EVF would be an elegant solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello

could anybody help me with some Dp2 Merrill X3F files to download?

I was looking through Google but all the links i found, some in this thread too, are expired or empty Dropbox folders.

Thank you very much! ciao!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    ....I wonder if an shoe-mounted EVF from another manufacturer would work on the Sigma ?

When you install the shoe-mounted Sigma flash does anyone know if it just makes a connection ? Or does it pull a voltage off there as well ?

Having a shoe-mounted EVF would be an elegant solution.

Shoe mounted EVF's all rely on the camera sending up video to the EVF. There's no way it would work on any other camera, even a different brand that also had a shoe-mounted EVF.

If you must have an EVF get a rear LCD magnifier and use the rear screen as an EVF. Then you can hold the camera up to your face for greater stability.

Post Thanks / Like

"Shoe mounted EVF's all rely on the camera sending up video to the EVF. There's no way it would work on any other camera, even a different brand that also had a shoe-mounted EVF.

If you must have an EVF get a rear LCD magnifier and use the rear screen as an EVF. Then you can hold the camera up to your face for greater stability."

Thanks. I was just wondering is all.

I will probably do as you suggested at some point. Just seeking info.

And I must have a better solution because using the LCD in bright sunlight does not work very well IMO.

It does not allow for precise framing of images and that can be a problem.

Ustein posted his setup and that is a possibility. It seems a bit cumbersome to me.

Perhaps that is because I have not tried it yet.

Guess nothing will be perfect. So if that's the best way to go then so be it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoPampaloni View Post
    Hello

could anybody help me with some Dp2 Merrill X3F files to download?

I was looking through Google but all the links i found, some in this thread too, are expired or empty Dropbox folders.

Thank you very much! ciao!
    Marco,

Perhaps not the best (I only had a borrowed camera), but this should give you an idea of the camera and software...

kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0037.x3f
    kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0038.x3f

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kofronj View Post
    Marco,

Perhaps not the best (I only had a borrowed camera), but this should give you an idea of the camera and software...

kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0037.x3f
    kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0038.x3f

Jim

thank you very much Jim!

Post Thanks / Like

sorry guys I made a change in my photo web host security and it deleted the above pic ... here it is again

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SPP 5.5 BW Test:

Converted with SPP 5.5

SDIM1499-15. Februar 2013-130215-ISO 100-39.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Converted with NIK SE 2

You have to look at 100% via Flickr to see the differences
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the incredible resolution of the DP2M I can now definitively state that I have a male squirrel hanging around for the occasional nuts we put out for him...

...shot through a window, btw.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SPP 5.5 Monochrome my first impressions:

Based on quite a few BW conversions with SPP 5.5 and LR+NIK SE 2 and prints in A2 (E 3800 AWB-mode).

The SPP conversions are an improvement compared to SE2. The grey tones are finer, more subtle converted. The image is homogen and very sharp with no grain.
    SE2 converts more coarse or rough.
    We should compare to the output of the Leica MM.

The software is on my iMac (27 newest gen.) with 10.8.2 very unstable. It crashes often when you change from BW mode back to colormode or if you doing adjustments in BW.
    I had conversions (save as tiff) that came out strange, i had to redo these.
    I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise i like SPP, the Monochrome mode is a good and welcomed improvement.

Looking forward to read your impressions.

Werner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    SPP 5.5 Monochrome my first impressions:

Based on quite a few BW conversions with SPP 5.5 and LR+NIK SE 2 and prints in A2 (E 3800 AWB-mode).

The SPP conversions are an improvement compared to SE2. The grey tones are finer, more subtle converted. The image is homogen and very sharp with no grain.
    SE2 converts more coarse or rough.
    We should compare to the output of the Leica MM.

The software is on my iMac (27 newest gen.) with 10.8.2 very unstable. It crashes often when you change from BW mode back to colormode or if you doing adjustments in BW.
    I had conversions (save as tiff) that came out strange, i had to redo these.
    I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise i like SPP, the Monochrome mode is a good and welcomed improvement.

Looking forward to read your impressions.

Werner
    Are we talking about just a conversion using the default setting in SE 2 ? - If so ?: The strenght of SE2 is the many ways to change the output= There are fantastic many possibilities, and that is why I think it is at another level.

Post Thanks / Like

No, i optimized in SE2 the conversion.
    SPP converts on the RAW level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunatly i think i am not going to buy the Sigma, i was almost ready for it, but today i installed SPP 5.5 on my iMac running OS 10.7.5 with 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo and 8gb Ram and it's simply impossible to work with it. When i touch some sliders ( especially white balance and NR ) i have to wait for about 10 seconds to see the effects and i always got the Apple OS coloured rotating wheel which tells me that the program is going so slow and freezing. Also the same in monochrom mode, when i start to change the RGB values same story.
    Is my Imac too old and weak?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunatly i think i am not going to buy the Sigma, i was almost ready for it, but today i installed SPP 5.5 on my iMac running OS 10.7.5 with 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo and 8gb Ram and it's simply impossible to work with it. When i touch some sliders ( especially white balance and NR ) i have to wait for about 10 seconds to see the effects and i always got the Apple OS coloured rotating wheel which tells me that the program is going so slow and freezing. Also the same in monochrom mode, when i start to change the RGB values same story.
    Is my Imac too old and weak?
    This makes me sad for you, Marco. I have the 5.4 running flawlessly on a 3 year old iMac (10.8.2) and 5.5 running flawlessly on a new MacBook Air (10.8.2). Don't give up!

Post Thanks / Like

I also run 5.4 without any problems at all - though pc, I have read that MAC.s had some problems with the earlier Sigma Pro Photo - perhaps more problems than PC.s ? - but it should have been fixed - at least in 5.4

I was not aware there is a 5.5 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    No, i optimized in SE2 the conversion.
    SPP converts on the RAW level.
    What sliders/features did you use in SE2 ?

Post Thanks / Like

5.4 runs good on my MACs. 5.5, no problems with speed but frequent crashes.

Want to add: If you convert to BW in SPP you can still edit the Tiffs in LR and Silver Efex with all effects etc..

But the basic BW conversion in SPP is, IMO, better then the conversion from the color file in LR et al. Look at the to BWs i posted above (1511) in 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Marco , not to post old news but you may not of seen this before. Many had issues with 5.5 on their Mac's till they uninstalled 5.4. I run a 10.7.5 Mac and have only seen what the above poster wrote about doing a monochrome then switching back it is sometimes shutting the program down.

Marco did you uninstall 5.4?

Post Thanks / Like

I should add: I run SSP on t w o pc.s - 5.4 - no problems at any of the pc.s (W7). Have never had a crash, and it is reasonable fast.

Post Thanks / Like

@Kyndel:
    Used a neutral preset and the brightness, contrast adjustments as well as color filters in SE2. Tried to optimize the file.

Post Thanks / Like

W. Utsch

That sounds fine to do, but I have downloaded a course from Jason Odell - not yet had time to follow it, but I can see, that there are endless possibilities, e.g. red,yellow-filters etc - if you know how - I do not - ......yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First of all thank you for your help and suggestions.

Well i didn't uninstall SPP 5.4 simply because i didn't have it before, i have never used any Sigma camera and SPP until now, so yesterday for the first time i downloaded SPP 5.5 and installed it to try some x3f since i was planning to buy a Dp2 merrill. So, on my iMac the very first SPP to run is this latest one, the 5.5.

Maybe i could try to uninstall this latest version, 5.5, and try with the older one ? But this would be bad since i'd like to use the monochrome panel...anywway i will try later again and see if it's still so hard to use it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all thank you for your help and suggestions.

Well i didn't uninstall SPP 5.4 simply because i didn't have it before, i have never used any Sigma camera and SPP until now, so yesterday for the first time i downloaded SPP 5.5 and installed it to try some x3f since i was planning to buy a Dp2 merrill. So, on my iMac the very first SPP to run is this latest one, the 5.5.

Maybe i could try to uninstall this latest version, 5.5, and try with the older one ? But this would be bad since i'd like to use the monochrome panel...anywway i will try later again and see if it's still so hard to use it for me.
    It really should not be that slow. Changes to the sliders are instant on my mac also.

How much RAM do you have? That may be the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have 8 GB RAM.

Changes to the sliders: some are istant ( like exposure, contrast, fill ligh and so on ) other are so slow, like 10, 15 seconds with everything frozen, this happens with NR sliders, colour and WB sliders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did some other tests.

So, main problems come when i switch to full res mode and work 100% on screen with sharpening and NR sliders. Anyway when i am in full res mode also other controls are slow sometimes, like WB and colour settings. This doesn't happen when i am in "normal" mode. Just a questione: when i am in full res mode can't i go back to normal mode? i try to click on the full res icon again but nothing happens, is this normal ?

I managed to work in a decent manner by working in normal mode and only at the end of the workflow switch to full res mode for 100% on screen adjustments. But, of course, i would like to work always with full res mode, if possible!

Anyway Dp2 merrill files are amazing, if i can manage to resolve these software problems i will buy one for sure..now i go on searching on the web for more x3f files to try and have fun with.

Forgot to say that i set up my preferences to work in Prophoto mode, but i am quite sure this isn't why i am having those problems i told about before.

Thank you guys and sorry for being a bit boring with this stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Marco-

For Mac users there is another option to SPP.

I am giving you the link below:

Iridient Digital

This raw converter works w Apple products and X3F files.

I do not use it because I have a Windows machine.

They have a trial version. Check it out. See if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot, i will try it for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Marco-

You're welcome.

If you do please let us know what you thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some other tests.
    Just a questione: when i am in full res mode can't i go back to normal mode? i try to click on the full res icon again but nothing happens, is this normal ?
    Not sure if that is normal.

I managed to work in a decent manner by working in normal mode and only at the end of the workflow switch to full res mode for 100% on screen adjustments. But, of course, i would like to work always with full res mode, if possible!
    That would explain your slowdown, full res mode is slow (which is why it's a mode and not up full time). For every change it's doing a full conversion of the whole image.

Some adjustments should not be that slow in full res mode, like exposure - usually only adjusting things like noise reduction causes significant slowdowns. I'll have to review.

Forgot to say that i set up my preferences to work in Prophoto mode, but i am quite sure this isn't why i am having those problems i told about before.
    You might want to try working in some of the other modes and see if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 GB RAM.

Changes to the sliders: some are istant ( like exposure, contrast, fill ligh and so on ) other are so slow, like 10, 15 seconds with everything frozen, this happens with NR sliders, colour and WB sliders.
    If you're trying to do this with a full res image and 8 GB of RAM your iMac is caching the undo to the hard drive. It's bound to be very slow and if your drive is fragmented that would cause most apps to crash.

Post Thanks / Like

Unusual bulb vases - my wife is an authority on forcing bulbs and she normally takes all her own photographs using my discarded Panasonic LX5. However now and then she asks for my help.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

More BW:
    The more i use the feature, the more i like it. Made more tests (pint and screen), converting pics i had converted before with NIK SE2, now with SPP.
    The SPP conversion is clearly better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot again.
    For now best thing is to process in normal mode and switch to full res only when i really need it for 100% adjustments. Then, it would be very useful to be able to come back to normal mode from full res mode, i still can't do it.

DSG

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This is as if somebody invented an entirely new kind of imaging technology.
    They have, its called the Foveon X3 sensor!

Post Thanks / Like

If they ever go to a FF sensor the lines will be around the block.

Or at least they should be IMO.

Can you imagine what that would be like ?

OMG

Post Thanks / Like

If they ever go to a FF sensor the lines will be around the block.

Or at least they should be IMO.

Can you imagine what that would be like ?

OMG
    It would be bigger and heavier. Files would be bigger then the 85mb now. The resolution is almost more then I can use now unless I'm printing bigger than 20x30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried the Iridient software, i have no problems with it: fast and smooth, even at 100% view. Problem is that x3f files look worst with it, especially when i go 100% view. So i have to keep on trying with SPP

Post Thanks / Like

"It would be bigger and heavier. Files would be bigger then the 85mb now. The resolution is almost more then I can use now unless I'm printing bigger than 20x30."

It wouldn't be much bigger nor signifcantly heavier.

And one can never have enough resolution IMO. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

"I tried the Iridient software, i have no problems with it: fast and smooth, even at 100% view. Problem is that x3f files look worst with it, especially when i go 100% view. So i have to keep on trying with SPP"

Sorry to hear that. The faster and smoother part sounded good.

Maybe you need to work w it more ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe, yes. But the difference in detail rendering is very big, anyway i will try for sure again.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up in case anyone is looking for a DP1 or DP2.

47th St photo in NY is selling either brand new for $799 w free shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Santa Monica Beach

more first walkaround with DP2 at antara.smugmug.com in Photography galleries
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

heres a couple conversions from today in SPP5.5

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up in case anyone is looking for a DP1 or DP2.

47th St photo in NY is selling either brand new for $799 w free shipping.

These people have without a doubt the worst online store i have ever had the displeasure to use. Even after typing in the camera, it will not come up. Terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

"These people have without a doubt the worst online store i have ever had the displeasure to use. Even after typing in the camera, it will not come up. Terrible. "

You'll find their storefront on Ebay.

Just type in either Sigma DP2 Merrill, or Sigma DP1 Merrill in the search field on Ebay.

You'll see them listed there for $799 w shipping.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, i will try that. I did a Google for them and tried their regular site, which i will now avoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Marco (and anyone having issues with SPP 5 on a Mac).

Try the following. Go to User>>Library>>Preferences and delete the com.sigmaphoto.photopro.plist file (it will be recreated on the next launch). Also go into User>>Library>>Application Support>>SIGMA PhotoPro and delete any files that might be in that folder (you may not have this folder—I've been using Sigma Photo Pro since v 2.1, and I think this folder has been deprecated).

I had the same issues with crashing when switching between modes. Doing this eliminated it, and I processed a bunch of SD15 files without a glitch this weekend.

Jim