100%

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quote Originally Posted by Rand47 View Post

100%

Excellent for sure.
    I guess this picture is a color picture and not a B&W.

I noticed on all pictures taken with this foveon sensor a magenta cast of 2% for the greys and 4 or 5% for the whites.
    Get into photoshop, chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%, do the same for the greys with 2%.
    Compare both pictures.

I have done that on a number of pictures found here or elsewhere, I first noticed it on DP3 pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndel View Post
    This is a beautiful lady and a soft background, but it is too sharp in the face - showing to much "particles" (pardon my English) = Simply too sharp.

IMHO: You need some software - e.g. Nik software to smoothen out in the face, or perhaps using "neutral" color mode ( I still need to try this out for portraits)
    I agree, the skin is rough but don't touch the sharpness. Instead, in photoshop, use filters, surface blurr in the green layer only. Something like 5 pixels at the most and 4 for the strenght.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not planned, two shot stich done by hand in PS. I wanted some sky above the roof of the house.

Michiel

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, color. This is a rare instance for me - seeing magenta in the center left of the frame. If you notice, though, the edges do not have a cast. There was color contaiminatiion from the light coming through colored window coverings to the immediate left. I'm not sure what (if any) impact that had the cast in this image.

On the other hand, the casts I've seen in a few other photos also showed this "non-uniform" characteristic. I wonder if a flat-field DNG profile would be useful. Next time I'm in this location, I'll shoot this shot again and also shoot for a flat-field correction and then see what happens if I apply it!

This "mostly monochrome" image would ususally get a split-tone treatment if I thought it interesting enough to print.

Best,
    Rand
    Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    Excellent for sure.
    I guess this picture is a color picture and not a B&W.

I noticed on all pictures taken with this foveon sensor a magenta cast of 2% for the greys and 4 or 5% for the whites.
    Get into photoshop, chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%, do the same for the greys with 2%.
    Compare both pictures.

I have done that on a number of pictures found here or elsewhere, I first noticed it on DP3 pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yesterday i took my first shots with the DP2M, of course the first ones must be cats

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Up the bike trail early morning this week.

A few pictures from the trip....need to take a monopod as at 100 ISO too many OOF and motion disturbed artifacts....

Sigma DP2 Merrill

Bike Trail Over Bridge

View From the Bridge

Bike on the Bridge

Bike on the Trail

Bob
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else feel that the last firmware update also resolved the auto WB and some of the color issues the DP2m owners sometimes complained about? I find AWB has been nailing my white balance and landscape, vivid, and standard color modes are much more usable than prior to the firmware update.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, I didn't install it yet.

A quiet composition from Holguin.

Michiel

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Up the bike trail early morning this week.

A few pictures from the trip....need to take a monopod as at 100 ISO too many OOF and motion disturbed artifacts....

Bike on the Bridge

Bob
    That one really stands out! Nice, Bob!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel, I will have to go through this thread over time. There are >60 photos from you from Cuba! Delightful! The right camera for that light, I suppose?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This camera is (also) perfect for texture! And Cuba is full of texture due to the lack of maintenance of most things and the endlessly puttyd cars from the fiftys.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight outta SPP Monochrome.
    DP-2 Merrill: ISO 100, f9, 1/160.

Post Thanks / Like

Cold Camden:

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful.....love the detail in the stone/ice.....nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

Sinwen wrote:

chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%,
    Can you expand a little on this, please, and in the following way: image > selective correction > whatever..., so a PS simpleton like myself can follow the steps. I like the idea of selective correction but am not good enough in PS to do it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Changing of the guards, every half an hour, at the cemetery Santa Ifigenia in Santiago de Cuba. ( Beautifull) Emancipation is there, but not yet in the heights of the legs.

Michiel

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, too much sharpness happening here, again! ;D I'm tossing in this image that has 100% negative clarity in LR 4.4rc.
    We don't want to hurt our eyes. Tripod mounted, ISO 200, in the dark - more or less.

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The DPMs handle longer exposures well.

Check out the clock!

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. I just joined the club as my DP2M arrived yesterday! I owe thanks to Quentin Bargate and Lloyd Chanbers for making me pull the trigger. I've spent a many hours reading forum threads about the camera. Impressive images posted online by both Quentin and Lloyd show the capabilities of the sensor and lens. Also, thanks to Uwe for some great images and interesting comments and to Michiel for the wonderful Cuba images as well as the facades. I'm going to Italy for a month in June and facades and street scenes are one of the reasons I bought the DP2M.

While reading this thread, I've been taking notes on recommended camera settings and usage of SPP. I have the following shooting tips: exposure: +.3 to +.7 (I have yet to blow out highlights using +.7), ISO: 100 or 200 (400 in a pinch). I believe that, since I'm shooting RAW only, camera settings (white balance, color, sharpening, contrast, saturation) affect only the settings when SPP is entered and can be changed in SPP (although it certainly helps to have a good starting state). I'm hoping someone can verify this.
    I'm planning to use SPP minimally and do most adjustments in ACR and PS (similar to how I process files from my Canon 5DII). I've downloaded the latest camera firmware and release of SPP.
    I believe I've learned from various posts that the following are best done in SPP prior to saving the file as a 16bit TIFF:
    - Set the white balance in SPP; make only minimal changes in ACR. I've found this part of the interface difficult, although AWB gets me close.
    - Set the clipping points for highlights & shadows in SPP.
    - Set the working color space in SPP to ProPhoto.
    - Do some capture sharpening in SPP. Recommended setting?
    - Do some noise reduction in SPP. Recommended setting?
    Ideally I'd like to do these settings in a batch mode but I'm not sure it can be done, particularly for the clipping points.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Hello everyone. I just joined the club as my DP2M arrived yesterday! I owe thanks to Quentin Bargate and Lloyd Chanbers for making me pull the trigger. I've spent a many hours reading forum threads about the camera. Impressive images posted online by both Quentin and Lloyd show the capabilities of the sensor and lens. Also, thanks to Uwe for some great images and interesting comments and to Michiel for the wonderful Cuba images as well as the facades. I'm going to Italy for a month in June and facades and street scenes are one of the reasons I bought the DP2M.

While reading this thread, I've been taking notes on recommended camera settings and usage of SPP. I have the following shooting tips: exposure: +.3 to +.7 (I have yet to blow out highlights using +.7), ISO: 100 or 200 (400 in a pinch). I believe that, since I'm shooting RAW only, camera settings (white balance, color, sharpening, contrast, saturation) affect only the settings when SPP is entered and can be changed in SPP (although it certainly helps to have a good starting state). I'm hoping someone can verify this.
    That is correct, although there is another possible reason to change some of those - the first is that they affect the embedded and in-camera JPG. Some people like to reduce contrast for example, to get a JPG that gives you a better match to the dynamic range the raw file gives you.

The second reason is that I believe changes to those settings affect the default adjustment values in SPP.

I'm planning to use SPP minimally and do most adjustments in ACR and PS (similar to how I process files from my Canon 5DII). I've downloaded the latest camera firmware and release of SPP.
    I believe I've learned from various posts that the following are best done in SPP prior to saving the file as a 16bit TIFF:
    - Set the white balance in SPP; make only minimal changes in ACR. I've found this part of the interface difficult, although AWB gets me close.
    - Set the clipping points for highlights & shadows in SPP.
    - Set the working color space in SPP to ProPhoto.
    - Do some capture sharpening in SPP. Recommended setting?
    - Do some noise reduction in SPP. Recommended setting?
    Ideally I'd like to do these settings in a batch mode but I'm not sure it can be done, particularly for the clipping points.
    Thanks!
    One thing I didn't see mentioned is the color mode you selected - I'd recommend Neutral instead of Standard (which is the default). Standard is mostly just a bit more saturated.

I use a working space of sRGB in SPP even though I export as ProPhoto. That's because on my system at least, the reviewed image does not match the output so something is amiss. Save an image in ProPhoto, open the exported file in Preview or something else color managed, and see if it matches your SPP preview. If not, try sRGB for the working space.

Sharpening in SPP is pretty good right where it is at 0. You would almost never want to move that higher. Some people like to back off the sharpening a bit from 0 as by default some sharpening is applied at 0 already and sometimes that is too much... you may want to experiment. It seems like sharpening may have changed somewhat in SPP from 5.5.0 to 5.5.1 (the most recent version).

Noise reduction in SPP can mostly be turned all the way to 0 at ISO 100, you may want to turn chroma (green/red noise) reduction to 0 and luminance (grainy noise) reduction to 1 if you have a lot of skies, or are shooting ISO 200. For ISO 400 I'd put both at 2, for iSO 800 I'd put both at 3, for ISO 1600 and above I'd put both at three or possibly higher. You can mostly just leave the banding noise setting alone, I don't think it affects image quality much.

As for batch mode, you can't really do clipping points - for the other items the approach I take is to review JPG files first to select the images I even want to work on (you can judge sharpness and composition decently), then move into editing - adjust parameters for images that need changes, and hit the "Save Settings to X3F" button. After that point you can batch export all images in the directory with the "X3F" setting and they will be exported with the parameters that you saved applied.

I also would not be afraid to use the camera above ISO 400. If some of the light in the scene is strong, you can get good results, or also noise reduction can help too. ISO 800 is quite usable, and ISO 1600+ is usable as I said with stronger light sources in scene, or if you want to shoot B&W.

As an example, a pretty sharp ISO 800:

Opening Doors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

An OK ISO 6400 shot with some editing and noise reduction applied (shot about +1.0 ev):

Captain Jack | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And an ISO 6400 shot converted to B&W using the SPP new Monochrome conversion (not mono white balance):

Guster In Dallas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trompe l'oeil.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very green house.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kendall - Thanks for all the useful information. I've changed camera settings as you recommended and will experiment with the SPP settings. I'll also experiment with higher ISO. I looked at your images on Flickr (some at high ISO) - very encouraging. I see Weird Al is still performing! I'll also try pushing ISO even higher for B&W - Your shot of Guster in concert at 6400 shows what is possible. The grain has a film like quality. Once again, Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it true that the new DP3M as it stands today has a different color response the the DP2M?

Example, shot both cameras side by side in Standard color mode, would one get a different color response?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

At our future home:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple shots in Yosemite. One with DP2M one with DP1M. One DP2M 6 frame stitch.
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Is it true that the new DP3M as it stands today has a different color response the the DP2M?

Example, shot both cameras side by side in Standard color mode, would one get a different color response?
    I think it depends on the light. Outdoors in Neutral, from a few images I have with similar subjects they don't seem to vary much. Using flash in Auto WB they vary more. Using a custom WB they are nearly the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kgelner View Post
    I think it depends on the light. Outdoors in Neutral, from a few images I have with similar subjects they don't seem to vary much. Using flash in Auto WB they vary more. Using a custom WB they are nearly the same.
    Second that.
    There are also images of the dp3 out there that have banding, magenta/cyan patches and strange shadow-rendering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adsf View Post
    Second that.
    There are also images of the dp3 out there that have banding, magenta/cyan patches and strange shadow-rendering.
    It's the same sensor. It has to be firmware related.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post

Maybe you can read this:

VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER'S BLOG: THE SIGMA DP MERRILS AND THEIR COLORS: THE TRUTH REVEALED!

one opinion more
    DPx Merrill cameras test with flash light, in this case

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note to say:
    * I enjoy this forum quite a lot, especially the images.
    * I wish everyone a Happy Easter/Passover.
    * I'm sorry about all the Foveon Classic Blue images…..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mezzoduomo View Post
    * I'm sorry about all the Foveon Classic Blue images…..
    Why? They are what make the cameras unique!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Why? They are what make the cameras unique!
    I love the FCB, but I sometimes think I just post too many shots.

Cheers, biglouis!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevew50 View Post
    A couple shots in Yosemite. One with DP2M one with DP1M. One DP2M 6 frame stitch.
    Great shots Steve. Nice to see some more color landscapes.

Next time please consider placing them on the DP color landscapes thread.

I can use some help over there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to look for the thread. Love seeing the images also. After seeing all the Cuba colors, I would love to get back to the Bahamas were I lived in the 70's. I have some old 2 1/4 negs I will have to scan, wonder how the colors are after 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

5 shot stitch .. Sonoran desert .. mexican poppies .. bumper year ... weather has to be just right.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't used my DP2M so much lately as I recently bought myself a D800... Wonderful combo!

Took the DP2M out today when my wife and I visited the Bloedel Conservatory (tropical gardens) in Vancouver, BC.

Friendly Bird by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

Undercover by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

Orchid by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Chinese Lantern (Physalis alkekengi) - when the flower dies and the petals leave the intricate network of stems then is revealed a small cherry like fruit.

DP2M, iso100, f8, 1/20 - tripod mounted.

Also shot this as a comparison with my GH-2 and dedicated PanaLeica 45/2.8 macro lens.
    Last edited by biglouis; 31st March 2013 at 07:36.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! My name is Robert and I am new to the forum.
    Received my DP2m last week, inspired by this thread of course.
    I am trying to get a feel for how to use both the camera and the software, Photo Pro.
    Below is a stitch of four vertical, hand held images. Overexposed for the shadows. Sliders for exposure dialled down, fill light dialled up.

Next one is a crop, 1/3 of the original size.

This camera is very useful for both stitching and cropping

BR Robert
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

> leave the intricate network of stems then is revealed a small cherry like fruit.

Very interesting. What about the red?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I just got a DP2M and I'm considering accessories. The LCD surface seems to be glass and fairly scratch resistant. As such, I'm not inclined to get a protector. Anyone have problems with scratches showing up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought DP2M is color artifacts free @ iso100... Found out today that I was wrong and perfect metering is the key to accurate color rendition. When green/magenta color casts pollute the image, B&W conversion can become a handy excuse...

B&W Portrait

Color Portrait

Dessert

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    I thought DP2M is color artifacts free @ iso100... Found out today that I was wrong and perfect metering is the key to accurate color rendition. When green/magenta color casts pollute the image, B&W conversion can become a handy excuse...
    Yeah but banding at legs also isnt nice
    Its interesting that it is always from top to bottom. Even if the cameras orientation is not landscape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adsf View Post
    Yeah but banding at legs also isnt nice
    Its interesting that it is always from top to bottom. Even if the cameras orientation is not landscape.
    sharp sight, adsf! Yeah, that's another issue with high contrast shots once you start pulling out shadows. Banding Noise reduction doesn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Casino, Campione d'Italia
    (Lake Lugano)

Church, Campione d'Italia

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is a linear polarizer sufficient on a DP1M? It seems like it should be since there is no mirror/prism, yet Sigma lists a circular polarizer as an accessory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Is a linear polarizer sufficient on a DP1M? It seems like it should be since there is no mirror/prism, yet Sigma lists a circular polarizer as an accessory.
    Linear worked on my DP2m so i guess it will do also on the dp1