Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Nice your photos.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Oxalis blossoms. A 1200x1200 pixel crop at 100% resolution.

and another 1200x1200 pixel crop

Last edited by scho; 27th August 2012 at 20:00. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man, these pics are killing me! The detail, the texture, the colors. Unbelievable. I had not even been considering the DP2M until stumbling upon this thread. I just got the Ricoh GXR/M to use as a travel setup but now I'm rethinking things. Ugh. Apparently sharpness is no problem across the frame, how about distortion for stitching? I see that you have been able to stitch, Quentin. Was that a chore at all?

Cheers,
    Erik
    (New to the forum, had to register just to reply to this thread. Great stuff)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Erik

All stitching is a chore, but no, not especially.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill - some conclusions

Having shot with the DP2M for the last couple of weeks, here is my thumbnail sketch of the good, bad and the ugly:

The Good

- Astonishing sharpness and micro detail, unprecedented in any similar camera I have used and exceeding by some margin the nominal 15mp spatial resolution of the Foveon sensor;

- the ability to interpolate to match or exceed higher resolution Bayer (mosaic) type sensors, approximating (in my tests) 28mp equivalency (maybe higher or lower depending on subject. As always, your mileage may and very probably will vary);

- Subtle differentiation of natural colours lending a fresh "veil has been lifted" appearance to images - the Foveon magic is in evidence here. Images just look "right"

- Superb class leading 30mm lens, with almost no CA, and outstanding resolution from center to edge;

- Simple minimalist design and easy menu system.

- tough metal construction

The bad (and ugly rolled in to one)

- Poor, under developed, raw software. Does the basics well enough, but no curves function, for example, and frequent crashes (on my Windows machine). Tendency to blocked shadows.

- Not good above 400 ISO, where noise becomes an issue;

- Some vertical fine "banding" sometimes seen in areas of even colour such as the sky. There is a lot of noise (excuse the pun) about this on some forums. My take is that the issue is overstated. I have seen it, but a quick run though your favorite NR program (mine is Neat Image) selectively applied cures the issue. However, it is unclear whether or not this is as inherent hardware problem that cannot be fixed in firmware of software, or if we might expect a firmware / software update to attack and solve the problem. If it is an inherent problem, why, and what is the future for yet higher resolution Foveon sensors? For my part, give me the occasional banding, if removing it would reduce resolution.

- a tendency to go a bit "green" at the edges in low light, and some faint purple blotching at ISO 200 and above in some shadow areas, requiring remedial work in Photoshop

- fixed focal length lens (but what a lens! Who needs zooms anyway!!)

- no built in flash (if you like that kind of thing) and no viewfinder (optional accessory available but of limited use, but better than a poke in the eye, I suppose)

For me, this camera has been a total revelation. The heck with the problems (real as they are), the upsides are so great (for me) I have scarcely been able to pick up any other camera in the last few days. I have never before seen, in any camera short of high end medium format and digital scan backs, such pixel level quality and resolution.

Game changer? Sorry, its a whole new game.

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 28th August 2012 at 13:05.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much, Quentin. Well pronounced! Thats a relief, a sort of reassuance. I'm longing for the simple yet loaded with inner quality.
    Well, I have "settled down" about that I won't be able to do these pictures that you are doing, just simple pp for my part, but what the heck. I'm convinced that this camera (the DP1M it will be, and one would expect the same quality-lens etc. here) will make me much happier(and M-like) than my D800E, and I guess I'll let the 800E go. Simplicity I need. There will be "a lot" of pictures you can't make. But does it matter? Does your brain need all those possibilities existing in our fast running world? If we don't get this or that picture, we get the other picture. And you'll just be aware of the limitations. And that will be what will make you happy. People are looking for all sorts of salvation, aware or unaware. But why go to India, travel all the world around (or buy tons of gear) to find your inner Zen-Buddist or your outmost mental relaxation/conviction(/or ultimate photografic skills), when it just lies in front of you: Sell all your awefull competent (and overdone)DSLR's etc. grab out and pick up a DP1/2M instead, go primitive, go simple, and your brain will like you and apreciate you, and send you a friendly thought. Less is more.
    I know I sound ironic now, but I'm not. Just my word that are overtaking.
    Well done Quentin!
    Best
    Thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done indeed to the pair of you

Quentin for the big testing and the great photos.

Thorkil for his thoughts and his ability to make so many words funny.

My hat is off for you both .

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Dear all, its been fun, and thank you to everyone for all the contributions, amusing, serious and somewhere in between, so far made. I guess my testing phase is more or less at an end now, although with others getting their hands on the camera, new tests and reviews no doubt coming out, I suspect there will be a lot more debate about the Merrils (we await the DP1M of course).

Time to take some more photos...and maybe post a few more... in due course.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great contribution to the forum Quentin.

If this does not stoke the fires nothing will.

Now if they will just introduce a M-mount body......

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Having shot with the DP2M for the last couple of weeks, here is my thumbnail sketch of the good, bad and the ugly:

The Good

- Astonishing sharpness and micro detail, unprecedented in any similar camera I have used and exceeding by some margin the nominal 15mp spacial resolution of the Foveon sensor;

- the ability to interpolate to match or exceed higher resolution Bayer (mosaic) type sensors, approximating (in my tests) 28mp equivalency (maybe higher or lower depending on subject. As always, your mileage may and very probably will vary);

- Subtle differentiation of natural colours lending a fresh "veil has been lifted" appearance to images - the Foveon magic is in evidence here. Images just look "right"

- Superb class leading 30mm lens, with almost no CA, and outstanding resolution from center to edge;

- Simple minimalist design and easy menu system.

- tough metal construction

The bad (and ugly rolled in to one)

- Poor, under developed, raw software. Does the basics well enough, but no curves function, for example, and frequent crashes (on my Windows machine). Tendency to blocked shadows.

- Not good above 400 ISO, where noise becomes an issue;

- Some vertical fine "banding" sometimes seen in areas of even colour such as the sky. There is a lot of noise (excuse the pun) about this on some forums. My take is that the issue is overstated. I have seen it, but a quick run though your favorite NR program (mine is Neat Image) selectively applied cures the issue. However, it is unclear whether or not this is as inherent hardware problem that cannot be fixed in firmware of software, or if we might expect a firmware / software update to attack and solve the problem. If it is an inherent problem, why, and what is the future for yet higher resolution Foveon sensors? For my part, give me the occasional banding, if removing it would reduce resolution.

- a tendency to go a bit "green" at the edges in low light, and some faint purple blotching at ISO 200 and above in some shadow areas, requiring remedial work in Photoshop

- fixed focal length lens (but what a lens! Who needs zooms anyway!!)

- no built in flash (if you like that kind of thing) and no viewfinder (optional accessory available but of limited use, but better than a poke in the eye, I suppose)

For me, this camera has been a total revelation. The heck with the problems (real as they are), the upsides are so great (for me) I have scarcely been able to pick up any other camera in the last few days. I have never before seen, in any camera short of high end medium format and digital scan backs, such pixel level quality and resolution.

Quentin
    +1 Great summary and review.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few 2-3 shot stitched images from an afternoon gorge walk with the DP2M on a small tripod. It was very dark and a bit damp in the gorge, but still not much water flowing. The images were shot in raw, converted to tiffs in SPP, and stitched in CS6 using the automated Photomerge function.

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size
    Last edited by scho; 28th August 2012 at 12:49. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Dear all, its been fun, and thank you to everyone for all the contributions, amusing, serious and somewhere in between, so far made. I guess my testing phase is more or less at an end now, although with others getting their hands on the camera, new tests and reviews no doubt coming out, I suspect there will be a lot more debate about the Merrils (we await the DP1M of course).

Time to take some more photos...and maybe post a few more... in due course.

Quentin
    Yes,....and we wouldn't let you off the hook, so soon, anyhow.....
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

..and splendid, Carl!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Carl thank you for the pictures.
    I am always impressed by the rendering of details, especially the last photo.

As I wrote on Dpreview in a topic DP2m vs Nex 7, look at a picture taken with a Bayer sensor camera like the Nex 7, the impression of seeing a good digital picture.

In looking at a picture taken with the DP2m gives the feeling of having to be the real subject.
    One ressant well textures, granulosité of rocks, for example.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ..and splendid, Carl!
    Thorkil
    Thank you Thorkil.
    Quote Originally Posted by octagone View Post
    Carl thank you for the pictures.
    I am always impressed by the rendering of details, especially the last photo.

As I wrote on Dpreview in a topic DP2m vs Nex 7, look at a picture taken with a Bayer sensor camera like the Nex 7, the impression of seeing a good digital picture.

In looking at a picture taken with the DP2m gives the feeling of having to be the real subject.
    One ressant well textures, granulosité of rocks, for example.
    Thank you Octagone. I agree that the rendering of detail with the DP2M is incredible and unmatched by comparable size cameras (and even some larger ones as well).
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    ..I agree that the rendering of detail with the DP2M is incredible and unmatched by comparable size cameras (and even some larger ones as well).
    Impressive pictures. Mix them up with large format or high end backs and I doubt anyone could tell the difference
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive pictures. Mix them up with large format or high end backs and I doubt anyone could tell the difference
    Thanks Quentin. I remember lugging 4x5 gear through the gorges to capture a few film images that then required processing and meticulous scanning to get even close to the image quality this tiny DP2M can produce. Just mind blowing.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone tried bracketing with the DP2M and if so are the shots taken fairly quickly or is there a huge lag while the files are written to the buffer?

Thank you!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbodine9 View Post
    Has anyone tried bracketing with the DP2M and if so are the shots taken fairly quickly or is there a huge lag while the files are written to the buffer?

Thank you!
    The buffer is fairly large. I just tried continuous mode and got off 7 raw shots before the buffer was filled.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

He must have received a defective camera. My copy does not squeak.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The buffer is fairly large.
    Hang on...I'm on a diet!!!
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bit of a half-baked review. Why on earth would anyone think of using this camera like a point and shoot? There are many better point and shoot choices. You buy the DP2M for its image quality, and for that reason alone. If you want to take snaps of your dog, look elsewhere.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No close-up lens yet so I have to make do with 100% crops.

Wet Lamb's Ear

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

very impressive picture(!), Carl and very "heavy". And even more impressive for a 100% crop.
    Thorkil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from an afternoon walk near Buttermilk Falls.

Building Obos

Not much water left for swimming (two shot stitch)

Peeling paint on abandoned house (100% crop, open image in new window for full detail)

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

very impressive picture(!), Carl and very "heavy". And even more impressive for a 100% crop.
    Thorkil
    Than you Thorkil. At least for web display, it seems as though there is enough resolution in these files to just use 100% crops as an alternative to shooting with a macro lens.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been following this thread for a while. Very interesting camera and possibly ideal for my kind of photography. Another area that would be suitable is probably product photography, at least as long as the products aren't so small that a macro lens is needed.
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've been following this thread for a while. Very interesting camera and possibly ideal for my kind of photography. Another area that would be suitable is probably product photography, at least as long as the products aren't so small that a macro lens is needed.
    There is a "close up" accessory lens but mine is on back-order.

More great stuff, Carl

My Zeiss 24mm lens for my NEX-7 cost as much as the DP2M, which has a much better lens than the Zeiss - and thats before you even consider the sensor.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is a "close up" accessory lens but mine is on back-order.

More great stuff, Carl

My Zeiss 24mm lens for my NEX-7 cost as much as the DP2M, which has a much better lens than the Zeiss - and thats before you even consider the sensor.
    Thanks Quentin. I've been looking for a close-up lens but can't find any listed at either B&H or the Sigma site for the DP2M. Did you order a Sigma close-up lens or another model?
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Quentin. I've been looking for a close-up lens but can't find any listed at either B&H or the Sigma site for the DP2M. Did you order a Sigma close-up lens or another model?
    Sigma's. Seems if we want to restain the quality we should try to use the matched close up lens
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, for masochists only, or at least those with fast connections, the below link is to a panorama that has a personal significance for me, because far left (about 1/4 way in) is the office I used to work in, and far right, at the top of the road, where in 2004 I first set up in practice on my own (I now have 9 colleagues)

More importantly, this is just a bit of fun, handheld images with the DP2M, over the shoreditch area of London East of Liverpool Street - Fairly anonymous but the devil, as they say, is in the detail.. It is a far from perfect image, so don't analysie it too closely - you will find faults I have not worked on. but I still like it.

It is Adobe RGB so might look a tad washed out on sRGB monitors.

Warning - very large file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Cur...oad%20Pano.jpg

And yes, I have printed it out full size
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now, for masochists only, or at least those with fast connections, the below link is to a panorama that has a personal significance for me, because far left (about 1/4 way in) is the office I used to work in, and far right, at the top of the road, where in 2004 I first set up in practice on my own (I now have 9 colleagues)

More importantly, this is just a bit of fun, handheld images with the DP2M, over the shoreditch area of London East of Liverpool Street - Fairly anonymous but the devil, as they say, is in the detail.. It is a far from perfect image, so don't analysie it too closely - you will find faults I have not worked on. but I still like it.

It is Adobe RGB so might look a tad washed out on sRGB monitors.

Warning - very large file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Cur...oad%20Pano.jpg

And yes, I have printed it out full size
    WOW! A 156 mp image and very nicely done with gobs of detail. Were those multiple bras hanging on the rooftop clothes lines? How many images were stitched?
    Last edited by scho; 31st August 2012 at 12:42. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma's. Seems if we want to restain the quality we should try to use the matched close up lens
    I was only able to find a 46mm diameter close-up lens for the DP1 (fits in lens hood). No 49mm threaded close-up lens on the Sigma USA site yet.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 31st August 2012 at 13:36.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today, old Barn

Quentin Bargate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Carl, I had not even noticed! Might be bras, who knows... Thats what I like about shots like this, you keep finding things...

I think I stitched 7 images.

the Merrill close up is the Sigma AML-2

and I found this link

LH2-01 Custom Hood with AML-2 Closeup lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers
    Quentin
    Thanks Quentin. Now I know what to look for.
    Looks good and nice, detailed portraits of the crusty old cowboys.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you snuck that link upon us with all the ??????? and those cowboys, did you look at them all really huge and that one of the woman bull rider and that one of the cowboy with the glasses and horse in fact all of them, the detail, all so utterly exquisite. The detail the detail is ....look at their EYES
    I urge you all to take a peek and then never look at this thread it is dangerous I can't think why we should all not want one.

..and, yes, especially you Thorkil..

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Wow, you snuck that link upon us with all the ??????? and those cowboys, did you look at them all really huge and that one of the woman bull rider and that one of the cowboy with the glasses and horse in fact all of them, the detail, all so utterly exquisite. The detail the detail is ....look at their EYES
    I urge you all to take a peek and then never look at this thread it is dangerous I can't think why we should all not want one.

..and, yes, especially you Thorkil..

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
    This is as if somebody invented an entirely new kind of imaging technology. The rendering is so completely different from anything else. If they could make a 55 or 60mm DP3 Merrill as well, I would be inclined to buy all three, taking all of them when I travel (and the total cost would still be less than one average Leica lens).

Interestingly, the photo of the old Chrysler is shot at f/16, and the lens seems to hold up very well even at this small aperture.
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Post Thanks / Like

I have followed this thread with great enthusiasm - thank you Quentin for all your work!

I am curious - how do you feel about the dynamic range of the sensor compared to the NEX-7, or frankly any other camera you've been using?

Additionally, how much of your post-processing have you been doing in Sigma's conversion software before you export to PS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by corposant View Post
    I have followed this thread with great enthusiasm - thank you Quentin for all your work!

I am curious - how do you feel about the dynamic range of the sensor compared to the NEX-7, or frankly any other camera you've been using?

Additionally, how much of your post-processing have you been doing in Sigma's conversion software before you export to PS?
    Hi there

Well its been great fun so far and we should also thank all the others who have contributed to what is a bit like a mad non-scientific experiment of a thread - Thorkill, Carl and all

I confess I judge cameras in use and don't usually test them because tests involve false science - so many variables. But the dynamic range looks good, particularly highlight recovery, less for shadows, so I tend to dial in at least +.3 exposure. In fact in the panorama of Curtain Road, the right dide images were about +1 but I got all the sky detail back. In other words, expose for the shadows - dial in +.3 or +.7.

Most pp in Photoshop. My workflow is to get a reasonable looking file with no clipping (if possible) in Sigma Photo Pro - usual settings now are -1 sharpness, neutral colour, a touch of X3 fill light, knock the noise reduction down a notch, or turn off altogether, then export as a 16 bit TIFF file, open in Photoshop CS6. In CS6, then it is usually Image/Adjust/Shadow Highlights, +8 for shadow slider to open them up, then possibly levels or curves. I aim foir a good looking histogram. If the file needs rezzing up, I use Photozoom 4, and if it needs sharpening, Focalblade.

My 'blad is gathering dust....

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot also for this PP info, Quentin.
    The learning experience of this thread is still growing. Just ordered Focalblade!

I think I am in for the DP1 Merrill if the lens is as good. I like the 19 and 30 Sigma lenses on the NEX-7 a lot.
    I think this would be a perfect camera for my French facade and Windowdressing series.
    Now I am using the GXR with mostly the Zeiss Biogon 25mm or the VC 15mm for that. Sharp lenses as well.

Or the NEX-7 with the Sigma's and different other wide angles around that size.
    The DP1 looks like a great pixel weapon camouflaged as a innocent point and shoot.

I am enjoying this thread a lot, thanks all.
    Michiel

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Michiel Schierbeek;447296]
    I think this would be a perfect camera for my French facade and Windowdressing series.

Good news, Michiel, your French facades are always fantastic and now you will have to back and do them all again with a Foveon sensor.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Michael

Thanks. A lot of people like Photokit sharpener, but I don't rate is as highly as Focalblade, which I much prefer (I have both). I will probably get the DP1M to use alongside the DP2M. I should then have most bases covered for the kind of work I do. I think the NEX-7 is a great camera but its a tad overshadowed by the DP2M at the moment in my arsenal, although clearly it should be a lot more versatile as a camera.

A 30+ mp full frame DP3 would be a personal fantasy of mine.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Michael

A 30+ mp full frame DP3 would be a personal fantasy of mine.
    Me too! Fantasyzing on; with a lensmount. Something like the NEX-7 but with a full frame foveon in it.

I am really ready for a full frame or more camera. Therefore also very curious to see with what Hasselblad seems to come up with this Photokina.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=gandolfi;447301]
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post

Good news, Michiel, your French facades are always fantastic and now you will have to back and do them all again with a Foveon sensor.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
    I am not such a purist that everything has to be shot with the same camera/lens. I don't already. Gives a little variation within the theme and life as well
    Things have to stay fun, I am not in for imposition

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Just judging by the cowboy pics it doesn't look look like the DP1M lens is operating at quite the same level as the DP2M. And that special 3D quality that the DP2M has exhibited in pics here doesn't seem as strong. So, I'm torn between the two. Perhaps I'll wait for a user report or two. 35mme is my favorite focal length and both cameras sit a bit to either side of that. Crop the DP1M or stitch the DP2M? Cropping is easier but there are apparent advantages to stitching, too. Any advice for a newcomer to this kind of question? Maybe just get both. ;-) Of course, If I'm really just dreaming then mashing a FF Foveon sensor into something like the GXR M mount would be just short of Nirvana.

Eagerly awaiting Michael Reichmann's DP2M review. I don't expect that it will add much to what has already been observed here though. These cameras' image quality is just spectacular. Thanks to all.

One last thing, I expect that Adobe will eventually add support for the Sigma Merrills?

Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin
    I am inclined to agree to some degree on that assessment but only in the right context. Depending what game you are playing it can be. But I don't find it true as a universal camera tool statement.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of interior church panos done today locally, using a light weight tripod and ball head.

PTGui used for stitching with Smartblend plug-in

Better than (and different from using) a wide angle lens really

Note just how good the DP2 is at retaining detail in the windows. This is not an HDR shot.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate