The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

battery running out. Can't wait to get home to read and look at all our lovely pictures!!!!! What a place :)
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Cannes Panorama now delivered and on our office wall - here is a quick camera phone snap of the picture in place :) Its looks great, even if I say so myself.

Its big! The Perspex encapsulation by Spectrum Photo looks good.

Michiel Schierbeek

Great Quentin. Is it on dibond with plexiglas in front? I did about ten that way for an exhibition.
How many shots horizontel and vertical?

Michiel

BTW I think I am gonne take an industrial panorama this afternoon.

W.Utsch

Incredible! I imagine the details!

Besides Michiel's questions:
What file format and PP where you doing?
Who printed and framed at at what cost ca. (don't want to be too curious)

Werner

Michiel Schierbeek

Incredible! I imagine the details!

Besides Michiel's questions:
What file format and PP where you doing?
Who printed and framed at at what cost ca. (don't want to be too curious)

Werner
Google spectrum photo and you will learn all about the printing and framing.
Good website.

Michiel

biglouis

Here is my latest batch. I include a link to the full sized image but beware these are large (3MB+) files.

These are all taken on Whitechapel Waste about 10-15 minutes after dawn. Full EXIF info included. All at iso400. Post-processed in SP5 and LR3. Had to play around with Exposure and Fill Light in SP5 and in LR3 I adjusted white balance to taste. No additional sharpening, some cropping as I prefer 5x4 - mainly because I treat these like MF images.

If you do look at the full size images some of the incredible detail from this sensor/lens is shown. Especially the windvanes on top of the RLH - these have never been so sharp - even with my Leica M lenses or my Hass kit. Likewise the faces of pedestrians in the first shot.

Even if my pictures do not do it justice - this is an incredible camera.

Link to full frame image

Link to full frame image

Link to full frame image

Link to full frame image

Link to full frame image

scho

Carl......great capture. Some of your other shots of the gorge (shot at 1/10s) still seemed to lack some of the micro contrast that this one (shot at 1/6s) has.

Any idea why?

Aaaahhhhh.......now maybe I see why.......is it because that it is a 3-shot stitch (like Millsart was talking about)?

Anyways.......I like this one :thumb up:

R
Thanks Rich. If you are viewing "original" size on pbase this shot is presented as a 50% reduction and the others are mostly full size. All of the gorge pictures were shot on a tripod with 2 sec self timer, so I don't think that camera movement is a factor.

Quentin_Bargate

To answer a few questions, the pano was made up from 7 DP2 shots, and the detail is amazing. No pano head at that time (purchased subsequently), but the stitching is invisible.

We were at the Cannes boat show on business so there is a lot more activity in the harbour than is normal.

Louis, you were up early!

Quentin

pophoto

Just a general question how do you guys shoot panos, how much do you overlap?
I tend to overlap by half, which is a lot, and know a third is enough, but what do you guys do? I also tend to bracket all my shots!

Precise nodal point inaccuracies tend to show itself most when a lot of cabling is present, like telephone poles and wires etc., due to my computer restraints at the moment (2yr old always surfing otherwise :p ) I would show my first day test with the camera, but the Sigma Pro software is a huge issue for me due the aforementioned reason, that I cannot quickly edit the raws the way I want! Obviously my problem isn't the same as everyone else, but I do wish they can port the camera settings and profiles to LR soon, rather than never! :)

W.Utsch

@biglouis:
Fantastic Street shots, like them all.
Superb rain pics, from a fab city!
Even the grain at ISO 400 is not bad at all, fits to the atmosphere.
Werner

retow

I was travelling for the last 7 days with the Fuji XPro1 and the DP2M. If there were no Sigmas DP2/1M, I'd consider the Fuji's IQ outstanding. However, in comparison with the DP2M, I'd call it excellent and the one from the DP2/1M: "Simply the best, better than all the rest", as Tina Turner used to sing. Martha's vineyard.

Last edited:

pflower

I can't describe myself as an expert on panos. I bought a Nodal Ninja 3 2 years ago for a project and have now been inspired by Quentin to bring it out of retirement to use with the DP2M. My initial experience is that I have been able to get away with remarkably little overlap - certainly less than a 1/3rd. Mind you I have been shooting buildings and haven't run into wire problems to date.

I think the software is the key. Attempts using Photoshop CS5 were disasterous. So I have tried the demo versions of both ptgui and autopano. Both work much much better. I keep meaning to buy the full version but work keeps getting in the way.

I have found that if you get your exposures reasonably matched in SPP, both these programs produce very consistent looking stitches. I agree about SPP but I export 16 bit tiffs to LR and then try and adjust those to match each other before exporting to the stitching program.

I note that ptgui pro allows for blending of bracketed exposures as it makes the pano - so you might want to look at the demo of that. One advantage of ptgui is that it allows you easily to set the control points manually between two images. Works beautifully - in one series on the Battersea Power station I found myself with no more than about 1/10th of the frames overlapping but I set the points and it still did a seamless job.

Just a general question how do you guys shoot panos, how much do you overlap?
I tend to overlap by half, which is a lot, and know a third is enough, but what do you guys do? I also tend to bracket all my shots!

Precise nodal point inaccuracies tend to show itself most when a lot of cabling is present, like telephone poles and wires etc., due to my computer restraints at the moment (2yr old always surfing otherwise :p ) I would show my first day test with the camera, but the Sigma Pro software is a huge issue for me due the aforementioned reason, that I cannot quickly edit the raws the way I want! Obviously my problem isn't the same as everyone else, but I do wish they can port the camera settings and profiles to LR soon, rather than never! :)

scho

I was travelling for the last 7 days with the Fuji XPro1 and the DP2M. If there were no Sigmas DP2/1M, I'd consider the Fuji's IQ outstanding. However, in comparison with the DP2M, I'd call it excellent and the one from the DP2/1M: "Simply the best, better than all the rest", as Tina Turner used to sing. Martha's vineyard.
Very nice. I took the same gallery shot 6 years ago with my old Canon 5D, but not as sharp as the DP2M shot.

scho

Continuing the discussion on panos and prints. Here is a snap of a print I made on Innova IFA-36 Photo Gloss Canvas, 360 gsm, using the Canon iPF 2400. The print was 24x44 inches and I gallery wrapped it on 1.75 inch bars to make this 20x40 inch finished print. Used 3 DP2M images to stitch the vertical pano using CS6 Photomerge. If you look at the full size image I think you can see that the DP2M sharpness carries over to large prints (even on canvas) very well. I find that that the simple Photomerge automate function in Photoshop (at least the version in CS6) is more than adequate for stitching simple 3-4 shot panos, if the images are shot on a tripod (with or w/o a pano head) with good level and alignment. I just dump the images into Photomerge, select Reposition, blend and done. Perfect alignment and blending.

FULL SIZE

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carl

I have never had much success with photomerge. Results can be hit and miss. I find PT Gui more reliable and flexible. Great shot - you are clearly having success with it!

Michiel Schierbeek

This is only a two images stiched pano because one out of 4 was not sharp.
The daytime images were rather dull because the weather turned completly grey. I used my new panohead for it.

Michiel

scho

Hi Carl

I have never had much success with photomerge. Results can be hit and miss. I find PT Gui more reliable and flexible. Great shot - you are clearly having success with it!
Quentin,

In the case of your super wide pano, I'm sure that Photomerge would not have done very well and PT Gui was the right tool. However, as I noted for simple stitching of 3-4 images this is not rocket science and PT is not required. Just be aware that the Auto, Perspective, Cylindrical, Spherical, and Collage options are quite useless in Photomerge for this type of simple stitching. If the images are shot level on a tripod with care in alignment stitching with the simple alignment option is all that is needed. Blending is usually very good.