The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Peter! ( detail anonymous doesn't exist yet as far as I know:rolleyes:)
Indeed this is an outstanding camera for detail and texture.
And you do see things on the image you did not notice in reality at all.
Mindblowing to use an old frase. :eek:

The people behind this window are hopefully not constantly aware of being a part of this!
I shot this place also with the NEX-7 + Sigma 19/2.8 from closer by but it definetly has less punch to it.

Michiel

Norm N

This is my first post, so hello to all. Based on the posts in this thread , and on
Luminous Landscape, I bought a Dp2m which I received in Oct. 1 and used it on a two week trip to Oregon and Washington. So here are two of the first results.

The first photo is a crop of a three shot panorama of Mt St Helen's, and the second crop gives a further look into the canyons created by the lava flow. I had a sunshade on back order and no ND filters. A snow storm was moving in and the lighting was highly variable. Most of the time was out of bounds at f16 and EV -3. I felt lucky to get these at f13, so the exposures are diffraction limited.

Mt. St. Helen's blew out the side of the mountain when it erupted in 1980. The people at this observation site, which is about eight miles away from volcano, had 7 seconds to live when the volcano exploded.

peterb

Louis,

I love the subjects you find! Keep walking!

Rand, Great stuff!

Norm, welcome to the world's newest group of addicts.

Michiel, LOVE the wall. LL in their first review of the DP series showed side by side crops of shots of a bookcase one taken with the DP2M and with the NEX 7. No comparison.

I think this is my point, more usual than not, and if you reread my post, the middle age are at the most disadvantage. I also think that if you regularly shoot photos of your friends, you may soon lose them, than gain their favor :p

It isn't a natural portrait camera, like most DSLRs, at least not on the beauty side of things. I think if a travel photog, were traveling to remote parts of the world capturing the essence of different cultures, say, china, India, Africa, Middle East, capturing the type of journalistic portraiture, it may give you something more, as you may say clinical and different enough. It certainly IS doable, but it just isn't the friendly type by any standards, and while it may be argued, I don't think it renders skin tones well at all. You can certainly favor conditions to shoot better, but it means going out of the way. Again, I will choose my subject carefully :)
I have the same problem with my DP2M. Great for everything except portraits.

It seems that skin colours of adults (European and Asian) are not correct, sharpness too strong and overall I detect a kind of greencast in all images (not just portraits)

So what do you do about these 2 problems with portraits and the general greenish cast in immges?

scho

I have the same problem with my DP2M. Great for everything except portraits.

It seems that skin colours of adults (European and Asian) are not correct, sharpness too strong and overall I detect a kind of greencast in all images (not just portraits)

So what do you do about these 2 problems with portraits and the general greenish cast in immges?
1. Makeup.:rolleyes:
2. WB adjustment.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi All

I will not be posting further on this thread for a while.

Its time to concentrate on the art of photography, not it's technology.

I will keep an eye on the many and varied posts here.

Keep up the excellent work

Quentin

Thorkil

Hi Quentin
A shame because I like your pictures. In my view they are extraordinary. And therefore a shame not being able to follow them.
But I understand you, I had to skip following this tread carefully while I was in Italy and so, because it's expanding and developing, and demands some energy, and time.
But will I be able to follow your pictures somewhere? Or do you feel like having a break public-attention-wise?
Best
Thorkil

Norm N

Quentin,

I'm sorry that we won't be seeing more of your fine photos for awhile. Your work convinced me to buy the DP2m, and the camera has brought excitement back into my photography. I use SPP in Prophoto workspace only to balance the exposure and remove highlights. All of the post processing is then done in Lightroom 4.2.

Since most of the photographers on this thread are located in the UK, or on the Continent, I thought I would send a few more photos from the Pacific Northwest. This time Portland. I spend a lot of time here, since my daughter lives here. It's a great city, with a real walkable downtown. it actually has somewhat European feel, with a good light rail system and trams made by Siemans.

scho

Hi All

Quentin
Quentin,

We will miss seeing your excellent images here, but I can understand your need to move on to the more important of part of photography - producing fine images (hopefully some with the Sigmas). I for one want to thank you for starting this thread and for your efforts in making people aware of the potential that the Merrill cameras have for producing very high quality photographs.

Best regards,
Carl

Braeside

Hi All

Quentin

Your work here is done Quentin :D:thumbup:

Quentin
Don't know how to thank you for your intelligent enthusiasm
and the lovely geometry of many of your shots!!!
Louis,
Such jaw dropping textures!!
Michael,
Do you know the story behind the women holding the baby grasping the serpent necklace?

biglouis

Sorry to hear you are taking a break Quentin. Hope you will drop in to give us your opinions from time to time.

Shot this evening on the way home: "Whitechapel Sunset"

scho

Beautyberry. Normally the leaves are a nice, pale yellow green this time of year, but I think that an early hard freeze nailed this shrub. DP2M handheld.

FULL SIZE (cropped 1:1)

Norm N

Three more from Portland. A standing joke here is that Portlanders make there living by selling food to each other. (flesh tones are a problem, as others have noted.)