The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Sapphie

I don't print nearly enough, in fact very rarely. I think that needs to change, so I have been trawling through my 'back catalog' in search of something suitable. Apart from having a moment of general angst, wherein I can't find anything 'suitable', I also realise that none of them match the technical glory (leaving aside any general lack of photographic or artistic merit) of the few Merrill shots I have taken.

It's as if all my previous cameras (or my technique therewith) had 'focus issues'. That can't be true can it ? What am I to do - I have £3K worth of Fuji X-Pro looking like it's going to gather dust ...?

I quite like the Monochrome option from SPP too, quite often by decreasing exposure and increasing contrast (such that would be too wild for the colour version):

Lee

Last edited:

Kirk Candlish

Beautiful shot as always Quentin. I'm curious about how you processed it differently the second time around. There's quite a difference between the two.

I shot in Kiev 20 years ago. It'd be interesting to see how it's changed.

biglouis

Quentin

This similar to my experience with the DP2M for landscape work. It seems to revel in complex patterns like the trees and city skyline in your picture. Personally, I still prefer my MF film for most work but if I have to admit that I feel considerably more confident about printing 20x30 from the DP2M than my scanned 6x6 frames.

An excellent picture in any case.

LouisB

neilvan

Just thought I would share my multi-row pano setup with my DP2M. It's WAY overkill for this camera but it works! Mounted on my Acratech GP ballhead attached inversely so it can be used as a rotator.

Just got the RRS DP2M L-plate last Friday but haven't had a chance to play with it yet...it's typical Really Right Stuff, nicely made etc. Can't wait to get out and get some images so I can try out the latest Autopano Giga 3 update...

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks Louis & Kirk. I agree about the fine detail. It is also apparent when photographing material and I am convinced it is because there is no aliasing or artifacts caused by Bayer interpolation as the sensor approaches the limits of its resolution. Add to that the extra accutance from the absence of an AA filter and you get a very different outcome that initially comes as a shock. the trees in the Kiev shot are an example of this and it is quite addictive.

Heck of a pano set-up there Neil. Makes mine look anaemic in comparison, but it is small enough to carry everywhere

neilvan

It actually packs up rather tidily, it breaks down easily and slips into a side pocket of my backpack. I will not do a lot of multi-row panos with the DP2M so I will just need to take the nodal slide along with me...

scho

After using the new Leica for about a month straight, I finally took the DP2M back out again. Very refreshing to see all of that wonderful, crisp detail again in landscape images. Still my favorite camera.:)

Last edited:

antara

Radically cropped first post with my new DP2M. When there is no telephoto the camera works well anyway. I spent the morning at the Marina and Venice canals in LA just after the rain. Birds were out on this beautifully clear day.