The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Thorkil, thanks for the kind remarks, and yes, remember when 400ISO was a medium "fast" film?? We have become so used to the the versatility of high ISO digital... But your D800E must have pretty good high ISO, why get rid of it? Its a decent camera, surely??!

Carl, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) Looking forward to seeing some DP1M shots from you, soon I hope.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Thanks Quentin. The DP2M is certainly not a beauty queen - more like a small, minimalistic black box, but with an outstanding sensor inside. . .
And a wonderful lens on the front (reckoned by a few to be on a par with Leica)

Keith

Thorkil

Hi Carl, very nice pictures too.
Specially the boathouse-door has the roomy feeling.
And then those two wood-root pictures. Thats very funny to see the difference to the OM-D. I must admit that I better like the DP2-one, not that the OM-D isn't good. Hardf to explain and point out, but the rendering is somewhat more calm though more strong, more impressive in the relaxed way (well, well perhaps a little overdone word, but never-the-less)
Thorkil

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil, thanks for the kind remarks, and yes, remember when 400ISO was a medium "fast" film?? We have become so used to the the versatility of high ISO digital... But your D800E must have pretty good high ISO, why get rid of it? Its a decent camera, surely??!
QUOTE]
Yes, we are some sort of getting spoiled, we expect to go clean all the way to 25.000 or at least 3.200/6.400. Yes 400 was relativ fast those days but not as good as the Velvia 50/100.
Well the 800E is difficult to explain. Yes it should be decent. But non of the Nikon glasses give that touch that I dreamed of. Some Zeiss-lenses get closer, but not enough. But the Leica R-lenses do, but again even though only available as used, they are expensive, and for the time beeing the financial crises in the building-sektor in Denmark means that I have to think twice. So unless I go R the 800E look somewhat flat and uninspiering, and colours are not shining in the way I would like. An OM-D, a RX100, M9(in another leque I know), GXR and GRD look better, and the DP2M, and then that little extra twist in the DP, that means a lot.
The 800D do not inspire me, and thats a pity. But scaling down the ambitions and go with the small but high quality cameras might perhaps turn into a relief. Anyway you get more invisible that way, and less tired.
Thorkil
(and it would be nice with a camera that withstood and keept the inspiration also after the "classic" 2-month I'm-in-love-period, and I have a suspicion that a RX100 could leave me relativ cold after that period, but it might be totally unfair to say so(havn't tried it), and it might solely be prejudices)

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

And a wonderful lens on the front (reckoned by a few to be on a par with Leica)

Keith
It is a great lens. NO CA - unheard of with any lens I have owned before. Truly as sharp at the edges as centre. Almost as if Sigma are saying "see what we can do if we really want to?!". All credit to them. Makes the Zeiss 24mm in the E-mounts for Sony look ordinary. Imagine what they could do if they decided to make a super-premium line of EX-plus lenses, money no object. Bit like Renault in Fomula One. If I ran Sigma, that's what I would do.

Thorkil

Hi Quentin, just to say, that, don't forget to post...when/if you get some sparetime..:), might also just be some with modest pp.
best
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Hmmmm, thanks Thorkil, I will check out the review

In the meantime, a DP2M testimonial for Dean, the "Man with a van" from whom I buy coffee at the railway station most monings :D

I oftn discuss cameras with Dean, who is a Videographer as well as supplying steaming hot morning beverages...

scho

Hi Carl, very nice pictures too.
Specially the boathouse-door has the roomy feeling.
And then those two wood-root pictures. Thats very funny to see the difference to the OM-D. I must admit that I better like the DP2-one, not that the OM-D isn't good. Hardf to explain and point out, but the rendering is somewhat more calm though more strong, more impressive in the relaxed way (well, well perhaps a little overdone word, but never-the-less)
Thorkil
Thanks Thorkil. The subject for the OMD/DP2M comparison was too close so that using f/8 and same distance resulted in less DOF for the OMD.

scho

Nothing special about this simple landscape image, but the clarity and foliage detail rendered by the DP2M continues to amaze me.

Park Geese

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carl, exactly. This thing is addictive... the first camera I can remember buying or using recently that has really changed my perception of what is possible in a portable camera.