Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Splendid!, was it handheld? And something particularly done about noisereduction?
    Thorkil
    Hi Thorkil

Thanks. Standard settings Sigma Photo Pro. Handheld, but -7 exposure. There is some noise, but not excessive. I would really prefer to experiment a bit more using Neat Image etc, but I won't be able to for a week or so when I get back from my travels...
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lee
    But sometimes it’s some sort of getting paralysed, with all that gear available. Thinking back at our early stage, from young on, I lived happily with my Rollei 35, handy, made splendid pictures, got it with me all around all the time…until the unlimited possibilities went berserk, and one got confused and unsatisfied, because one never knew what was around next corner…same issue like the youngsters and net-dating, result: there have never been so many lonely young ones (well, at least in Denmark…I guess).
    So, if one is getting close to the target (as here), grab it, and close the eye for all the other thousands of possibilities…and be a happy man…(anyway one will never know if it’s the best camera in our own world…but the best thing that can happen is if one do succeed in the task believing that…then the shooting continue)

Thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Hi Thorkil

Thanks. Standard settings Sigma Photo Pro. Handheld, but -7 exposure. There is some noise, but not excessive. I would really prefer to experiment a bit more using Neat Image etc, but I won't be able to for a week or so when I get back from my travels...
    Hi Quentin. But I do think this pictures doesn't need lees grain, the old 400 film had it too, in my eye its just superb(sometimes better hit the target 95% than 100%, the artist's allways(at lot of them) builded in some odd thing, just to trick the eye, the slightly unperfected thing looks sometimes more perfect. Best shooting down there in Cannes!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

My first DP2M shots. The sensor and lens combo are incredible. This shooter will have to work hard to live up to the potential of the gear.
    Last edited by retow; 10th February 2013 at 22:27.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice to see some streetshots with it. Looks good! I am glad you like it!
    A few days and I will have mine.

Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Nice to see some streetshots with it. Looks good! I am glad you like it!
    A few days and I will have mine.

Michiel
    +1 Nice colors in your street scenes. Hope you enjoy the camera.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Today I tried doing some stitched shots of a local landmark, Ithaca Falls. Harsh and shifting lighting so I need to go back and try again when the fall colors come in and lighting is better.

A four shot stitch. Blown sky was cropped out, but I left the two lovers in the shot for scale. They seemed mildly concerned about being photographed, but eventually just ignored me and went about their business

LARGER (50%) IMAGE

A two shot stitch.

LARGER (50%)IMAGE

A final, two shot stitch of Fall Creek below the falls. I waited patiently for a passing cloud to avoid harsh, dappled lighting.

FULL SIZE IMAGE
    Last edited by scho; 16th September 2012 at 13:07. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

perhaps we should seriously listen to John and start a "One camera - one year - club"

Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Carl

Incredible shots!

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Called Sigma Benelux and they don't have the DP2 M for at least for another 2 weeks, so I changed it to the DP1 M spontaneously! Will have it tomorrow.
    I hope the lens is as good.... Sunshade is not available yet.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great work, Carl!

Michiel, be good to see what the DP1M can do...

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lee and Quentin.
    Michiel, looking forward to seeing some DP1M shots for your facades series.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Called Sigma Benelux and they don't have the DP2 M for at least for another 2 weeks, so I changed it to the DP1 M spontaneously! Will have it tomorrow.
    I hope the lens is as good.... Sunshade is not available yet.

Michiel
    Watch the traffic

Keith

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I received my Sigma DP1M this AM and took it out with the DP2M for a few comparison shots at the farmers market. Here are 3 scenes each shot on the same tripod with each camera and same exposure settings.

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

A last "smiley face" from the DP1M only.

FULL SIZE

So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M. There is more CA and fringing evident in some DP1M images (although easily corrected) and the DP1M really needs to be shipped with the lens hood. It is very sensitive to backlit lens flare (see pond image), but to be fair I had a hood on for the DP2M and not the DP1M (none available yet). Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M. These are only first impressions under rather poor lighting conditions and with limited subject matter. I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carl! Am I going to regret my swap? I do like the Sigma 19 on the NEX quiet a lot.
    Did you have to correct distortion? I do shoot a lot of brick wals for fun, you know

There is a lot more sharp DOF in the DP1, if you look at the floors. These are nice samples. Don't know about fine detail.

Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carl! Am I going to regret my swap? I do like the Sigma 19 on the NEX quiet a lot.
    Did you have to correct distortion? I do shoot a lot of brick wals for fun, you know

There is a lot more sharp DOF in the DP1, if you look at the floors. These are nice samples. Don't know about fine detail.

Michiel
    Michiel,

No, I don't think so. I think that for architectural work the DP1M will do well. I made no corrections for distortion and there isn't much to correct. You do need to watch for lens flare with the DP1M, but no more than you would with any WA shooting into the sun. I can't understand why Sigma was not ready to ship a simple lens hood for this camera, which needs it more than the DP2M that has a lens hood available. There is some lateral CA that needs correcting, but nothing major that can't be fixed in post. I'm going down to Washington DC in a couple of weeks so I'll have a chance to try some architectural and street shooting with the DP1M then. Looking forward to your shots and impressions of the DP1M.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the DP1M may not be such an obvious choice as the DP2M

Following shot taken this evening in Monaco with the DP2M. 2.5 secs, 100 ISO, F.5.6. Immense detail in the original.

Monaco 2012

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M....I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.
    Carl,

Send it back...buy the best sneakers you can find and take a couple of steps back...voila...DP2M becomes DP1M! Without CA! And the shoes will outlast the camera upgrades...

Loving my two DP2Ms ... am pleased that I do not need the DP1M.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Carl,

Send it back...buy the best sneakers you can find and take a couple of steps back...voila...DP2M becomes DP1M! Without CA! And the shoes will outlast the camera upgrades...

Bob
    You've got TWO DP2M's ?!?!
    Quentin Bargate

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quentin,

After our first interchange...and spending a number of days with the stunning DP2M I realized that another body was needed. Should the first die or malfunction...no way I am willing to await the next big thing...this is to me as close as it gets....

My Leica S2-P, Canon 1DX, and Oly OM-D will still be there but the DP2M is stunning...so good so organic without a doubt one of my favorite cameras ...
    EVER.

First time I have purchased two cameras alike...I just do not think this will be surpassed anytime soon.

And I was not going to divulge this...oh well......

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received my Sigma DP1M this AM and took it out with the DP2M for a few comparison shots at the farmers market. Here are 3 scenes each shot on the same tripod with each camera and same exposure settings.
    So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M. There is more CA and fringing evident in some DP1M images (although easily corrected) and the DP1M really needs to be shipped with the lens hood. It is very sensitive to backlit lens flare (see pond image), but to be fair I had a hood on for the DP2M and not the DP1M (none available yet). Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M. These are only first impressions under rather poor lighting conditions and with limited subject matter. I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.
    Hi Carl
    All I can say is just UPS, while that suddenly changed my life, from simplicity to complexity. Its very hard to compare those from the barn(perhaps the dp2 should have been moved backwards?), but, with some resistance (while I was aiming for the 28mm wide, I have to have a wide…), I have to admit the DP2 just looks more clear, more refined, and colours more spot on, more lively, warm & tender.
    And the outdoor pictures, here is everything going wrong for the DP1 it seems, it looks like a pale and exhausted winter-picture compared to the DP2-one, the tree look like its just about loosing its leaves(!) where they at the DP2 are green and optimistic healthy. Perhaps the side-light is tricking the white balance without that hood, it just look like a disaster colour wise! And I don’t want to use a lot of time in pp.
    Hhhmmm…and here I imagined that life could be easy….
    But thanks a lot, Carl, anyway(!!)..
    Thorkil
    PS. f.8? Iso? in the barn (splendid pictures I forgot to tell)
    But perhaps the DP1-colours are more realistic/objective? and the DP2 just have a more warm and saturized glow that are giving the real world a more optimistic view? or?
    Last edited by Thorkil; 18th September 2012 at 00:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats good Quentin!!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin,

After our first interchange...and spending a number of days with the stunning DP2M I realized that another body was needed. Should the first die or malfunction...no way I am willing to await the next big thing...this is to me as close as it gets....

My Leica S2-P, Canon 1DX, and Oly OM-D will still be there but the DP2M is stunning...so good so organic without a doubt one of my favorite cameras ...
    EVER.

First time I have purchased two cameras alike...I just do not think this will be surpassed anytime soon.

And I was not going to divulge this...oh well......

Bob
    Actually makes a lot of sense. Two DP2M's cost less than one Sony RX1 and a lot less than a Leica "M" - even less than the Leica M-E just announced.

And some ill-informed reviewers thought that the Sigma DP2M was overpriced, just because it says "Sigma" on the front...
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine will be returned unopened. I will wait and have patience. One is enough, it might well be the best one.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Quick questions guys, can the DP2M raw files be opened and processed in LR or C1?

Next question, how long are the write times to your memory card?

Thanks,
    Po

24mm

Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M.
    Perhaps a few steps forward with the DP1M to have the same coverage as that of the DP2M might change the perspectives of things, or a few steps back with the DP2M to spread the pixels a bit thinner ....

Frank

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 24mm View Post
    Perhaps a few steps forward with the DP1M to have the same coverage as that of the DP2M might change the perspectives of things, or a few steps back with the DP2M to spread the pixels a bit thinner ....

Frank
    I think you are right Frank. The DP1M looks better when this type comparison is made. I couldn't get outside today (pouring rain) to re-shoot, but here is a simple bookshelf comparison where the distance of the DP2M was adjusted to try and match the size of the DP1M image.

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Quick questions guys, can the DP2M raw files be opened and processed in LR or C1?

Next question, how long are the write times to your memory card?

Thanks,
    Po
    Unfortunately there is no support from either Adobe or Phase for Sigma raw. If you are on a Mac then Raw Developer will have support in the next revision.
    Write times are very, very looong.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Mine will be returned unopened. I will wait and have patience. One is enough, it might well be the best one.

Michiel
    Sorry to discourage you with the comparisons, see my latest comparison below though before you throw in the towel on the DP1M. DP2M is still a better option if you will have only one camera.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl,

Bob
    I haven't given up on the DP1M yet Bob, but may do so if I can't get anything better out of it in the next couple of days. The lens is really not that bad for a wide angle, but certainly not at the same quality level as the 30 in the DP2M.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl,
    Thanks for the pictures!
    Just some quick words: There seems still to be a huge difference in colours, looking at the fish and the oak-shelf in the upper left corner and then at the ceramic pot at right. Which one come closest to perfection? It looks like the DP2 is more true(?), and all the edges of things are more welldefined and clear and sharp on the 2. And it seems too that the DP1 is more grainy, more noisy.
    Thanks
    Thorkil
    Ps. Yes you are right, the DP1 isn't bad at all, but it just havn't got that little extra touch of refinement and clarity and convincing colours as the DP2 has, it seems.
    PPs. the DP1 seems to have a sort of more dull appearence if I might say so.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl,
    Thanks for the pictures!
    Just some quick words: There seems still to be a huge difference in colours, looking at the fish and the oak-shelf in the upper left corner and then at the ceramic pot at right. Which one come closest to perfection? It looks like the DP2 is more true(?), and all the edges of things are more welldefined and clear and sharp on the 2. And it seems too that the DP1 is more grainy, more noisy.
    Thanks
    Thorkil
    Ps. Yes you are right, the DP1 isn't bad at all, but it just havn't got that little extra touch of refinement and clarity and convincing colours as the DP2 has, it seems.
    Same here. I have been looking yesterday evening and saw a lot of pictures on both cameras and what stroke me was the difference in colour. It could be PP, but almost all DPm1 pictures were on the very blue side. Is that also your out of camera experience, Carl?

Michiel

24mm

Unfortunately there is no support from either Adobe or Phase for Sigma raw. If you are on a Mac then Raw Developer will have support in the next revision.
    Adobe supported the previous Foveon, it should be a matter of time, maybe their next raw upgrade ....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl,
    Thanks for the pictures!
    Thanks
    Thorkil
    PPs. the DP1 seems to have a sort of more dull appearence if I might say so.
    Same here. I have been looking yesterday evening and saw a lot of pictures on both cameras and what stroke me was the difference in colour. It could be PP, but almost all DPm1 pictures were on the very blue side. Is that also your out of camera experience, Carl?

Michiel
    The color differences may be in part due to WB issues. I used auto WB for both cameras, but the result with the DP1M tends more to a slight magenta cast in neutrals. I agree that there is also a general "dull" appearance to the DP1M images and they don't have the apparent depth and 3D look that the DP2M conveys. This is most apparent in landscape images.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just lens flare for the wider one?

Carl - thanks for continuing to provide full or large size images. Those shelf shots are incredibly clear and sharp.

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Is it just lens flare for the wider one?

Carl - thanks for continuing to provide full or large size images. Those shelf shots are incredibly clear and sharp.

Lee
    Lens flare with the DP1M is certainly the main issue for the backlit pond shot.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Last comparison shots on the bookshelf, this time with a ColorChecker chart included (old chart, so don't be too critical in using it). Seems like slight blue cast in both using auto white balance in camera. No adjustments made in SPP other than turning off noise reduction. Conversion to srgb and jpg export in LR, seems to darken and throw off colors slightly.

DP1M

FULL SIZE
    DP2M

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Carl!
    What is the current workflow and how satisfactory do you find it? I fear it may be too tedious and annoying in the long run, that it may be the camera I leave behind, despite the valiant efforts and superb results seen here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Thank you Carl!
    What is the current workflow and how satisfactory do you find it? I fear it may be too tedious and annoying in the long run, that it may be the camera I leave behind, despite the valiant efforts and superb results seen here.
    Workflow isn't too tedious. Basically, raw files imported into SPP, batch processed (after making any individual adjustments necessary) to 16 bit Tiff files which are imported into LR4 for any further processing, export for web, printing, etc. Bad thing is I'm accumulating both raws and tiffs until there is real raw support in LR or C1 (if ever).
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

A few snaps from NYC.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It poured rain here most of the day, but I managed a few quick snaps outside around the house in between rain events. I think that the DP1M performs better in flat, overcast light.

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

>Adobe supported the previous Foveon, it should be a matter of time, maybe their next raw upgrade ....

Don't hold your breath.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl, just some few words.
    Yes your last picture: If we hadn't seen DP2M's this one we would call extraordinary good(!), and it is. Yes perhaps it is the missing hood in sunshine that do most of the difference in your lake/trees pictures.
    And your bookshelf: It's unfair, but looking at the upper left corner at the spiralback of the book the 2M wins by a large margin. But on the other hand, this is an unfair judgement while moving the 2M back compared to the 1, you get relatively greater DOF and therefore the upper left corner could be slightly unsharp because the 1 is closer on. But looking at the cheramic bottle, the shape of it is rendered far better by the 2M, and more 3-dimentional than the 1M, and looking at the books behind, the brown one with the brass-nail is just so much more welldefined, and deliver the shine from your light in the room in a complete different way, just about at the edge of being "overnatural". (I guess that why Quentin is turning sharpness a bit down), but again the greater distance with DP2M can do a bit of the difference, but not all.
    The DP1M is doing very very well, but it just have a bigger sister that shines those 5% more. And sometimes its those little 5% that is turning our brain upside down
    Life for me DPM-wise is not becoming easier, while I think I will buy the DP2M because of that little extra touch, and then just do wide with the Ricoh GXR 28 and the M-module. But 45mm I have never used as carry-with-me, mostly 21 or 28mm, or 14-24. But perhaps its about time trying something else
    Thanks.
    Thorkil

24mm

Carl, thanks for the later comparison photos. I prefer the DP1M, the way it renders the scratches on the shelf, not that obvious on the DP2M. The stopper on the ceramic and the rivet at the top of the color chart is natural with the DP1M and the way it gave the dust and reflection on the shelf an analog feel, I love it. Of course conditions were not exact, so your mileage may vary ....

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 24mm View Post
    Carl, thanks for the later comparison photos. I prefer the DP1M, the way it renders the scratches on the shelf, not that obvious on the DP2M. The stopper on the ceramic and the rivet at the top of the color chart is natural with the DP1M and the way it gave the dust and reflection on the shelf an analog feel, I love it. Of course conditions were not exact, so your mileage may vary ....

Frank
    Hi Frank, I think I can see what you mean, there are some marks in the wood-front just under the right side of the cheramic, which can't be seen on the DP2M, but that might be because of a different angle the DP1M is cathing the reflected light, being closer on. Funny how different eyes cathes different details And the "carpet" under the cheramic is more "loose" at the edges, more grainy, and you might be right, in a more film-like way than the DP2M.
    Thorkil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We had some heavy rain yesterday so I went to another of the local waterfalls in anticipation of some nice flows, but lighting and colors were disappointing. Here are two 2 shot stitches with the DP2M of the lower and upper falls.

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE

Single frame shot of falls

FULL SIZE
    Last edited by scho; 19th September 2012 at 16:07.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Originals and cropped. From a jacket pocket size camera

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Trying the AML-2 close-up lens on the DP2M. B&W conversion in SEP2.

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets lighten the mood here...

I am still in Monaco, but I am a bit worried about the qualifications of this particular Yacht Captain ....

Quentin Bargate