Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 2796

Thread: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

  1. #401
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Boston harbor.
    Last edited by retow; 10th February 2013 at 22:27.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Lets lighten the mood here...

    I am still in Monaco, but I am a bit worried about the qualifications of this particular Yacht Captain ....

    as long as she is sober (but one could fear, or what..?) and well-skilled it's okay for my part for her to go through Öresund, but we do have a lot of drunken russian captains who hit bridges, coastlines or the bottom here....so you have to make sure, Quentin..

    Thorkil

  3. #403
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    as long as she is sober (but one could fear, or what..?) and well-skilled it's okay for my part for her to go through Öresund, but we do have a lot of drunken russian captains who hit bridges, coastlines or the bottom here....so you have to make sure, Quentin..

    Thorkil
    HaHa...absolutely Thorkil! Fortunately she will not be put to the test, because although she is Russian, she is my Director of Business Development and not (so far as I am aware) a trained seafarer.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  4. #404
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    HaHa...absolutely Thorkil! Fortunately she will not be put to the test, because although she is Russian, she is my Director of Business Development and not (so far as I am aware) a trained seafarer.
    ...Okay then...but you have to beware. But she look friendly-minded. And so long as she let you do the overall navigation, things should be in safe hands, I would think!
    Thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #405
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Boston harbor.
    Very nice B&W harbor images. I like the toning as well.
    Carl
    Gallery

  6. #406
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Looking at the work here, I can't wait to get my hand on the DP2 I ordered from WEX. They say it should be "end of the month, or early October". Must be a worldwide shortage - or they are still on their way from Thailand(?).

    LousiB

  7. #407
    Senior Member peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tysons Corner, Virginia
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Louis, I'm looking forward to it as well. Ordered it just shy of my birthday as a nice present to myself. I'd been aware of the camera but hadn't put much thought to it until I saw an article on Steve Huff's website. That led to an investigation of what kinds of output one could expect and an almost instant decision to dispatch an order to Sigma directly in the USA (since B&H here had it on backorder) who said they would be seeing a replenishment of units at the end of the month. (In the meantime B&H is saying they expect stocks to be replenished around Sept 26.)

    I'm aware of the weaknesses and since my photo style using a Lumix G1 (and one lens, the fabulously sharp 20mm f1.7) these last four years I am looking forward to seeing what can be captured. I'm not worried about shooting at ISO 100-200 as that's pretty much where I shot with the G1. My style is a more deliberate one so I don't see any issues worrying about AF speed although I will generally pre-focus (when there's enough time) and fire when I feel the moment is right. And while I do, on occasion shoot indoors I'm not all that concerned that I get that low light shot at ISO 200.

    And I already downloaded Sigma's proprietary processing software and tried it out on a few RAW files that were available for download. While many reviewers have complained I didn't find it all that more onerous than processing RAW files using photoshop elements. From what I've read my work flow will be to do initial work in Sigma's software to make tiffs then do the rest via Lightroom. The nice thing about a deliberate approach to photography (as opposed to a machine gun approach) is fewer shots to deal with. A sad habit left over from expensive film days I suppose.

    All in all looking forward to creating some luscious images with this fabulous (at least from what I've seen) simple camera.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

  8. #408
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Peter

    Likewise. As most of my work at the moment is film, which involves many hours of scanning (and cleaning) - by comparison the processing steps involved in turning raw into tiff using the DP2 should be a breeze!

    Let's hope Sigma meet their delivery dates

    LouisB

  9. #409
    24mm
    Guest

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The nice thing about a deliberate approach to photography (as opposed to a machine gun approach) is fewer shots to deal with. A sad habit left over from expensive film days I suppose.
    There is nothing sad about it, quantity can never make up for quality. Get what you want, not want what you can get. Raw processing can hardly be an issue here, beats developing and scanning films hands down ....

  10. #410
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hi Carl, don't let my bad mood about the one picture from the DP1M, spoil your further investigation in the abilities of the DP1M. After all some pictures are turning up from the DP1M that show some of the same sharpness and good rendering as the DP2M, or it seems like it, at Flickr, and your last one was rather good too!
    Thorkil

  11. #411
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Carl, don't let my bad mood about the one picture from the DP1M, spoil your further investigation in the abilities of the DP1M. After all some pictures are turning up from the DP1M that show some of the same sharpness and good rendering as the DP2M, or it seems like it, at Flickr, and your last one was rather good too!
    Thorkil
    Thorkil,
    Don't worry, I haven't given up yet. Still working with the DP1M. I'm noticing that I have to be much more careful about exposure with the DP1M to avoid blocking up shadows.
    Carl
    Gallery

  12. #412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Thorkil,
    Don't worry, I haven't given up yet. Still working with the DP1M. I'm noticing that I have to be much more careful about exposure with the DP1M to avoid blocking up shadows.
    Thanks for keeping on, Carl !
    Thorkil

  13. #413
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    First post here. Amazing images coming from this camera with obviously a very talented group of photographers taking them. I wonder if one would be able to tell the difference in a 12"x18" or 16"x20" print compared to the Sony RX100 (the compact I was planning to get before I happened upon this thread) for example. In other words, does the vibrancy and almost 3D quality that one sees on a monitor translate to a noticeable difference in a large print?

    Thanks,

    Jim

  14. #414
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jmg1949 View Post
    First post here. Amazing images coming from this camera with obviously a very talented group of photographers taking them. I wonder if one would be able to tell the difference in a 12"x18" or 16"x20" print compared to the Sony RX100 (the compact I was planning to get before I happened upon this thread) for example. In other words, does the vibrancy and almost 3D quality that one sees on a monitor translate to a noticeable difference in a large print?

    Thanks,

    Jim
    I can see more well defined fine detail in large Sigma DPM prints, compared to prints from my other cameras (XP1, OMD, NEX7).
    Carl
    Gallery

  15. #415
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Another gorge walk today with both the DP1M and DP2M. Some single frame and others stitched from 2-3 frames. Small images below with links to full size images.


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #416
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Carl.......these look pretty awesome. They really exhibit well balanced exposures. Is this all learning curve?

    Specifically, which one is from the DP1M (or DP1M stitch)?

    You know why I am asking

    R

  17. #417
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Carl.......these look pretty awesome. They really exhibit well balanced exposures. Is this all learning curve?

    Specifically, which one is from the DP1M (or DP1M stitch)?

    You know why I am asking

    R
    OK, here is the list;

    1. DP1M
    2. DP1M
    3. DP1M
    4. DP!M 2 shot stitch
    5. DP2M
    6. DP1M 2 shot stitch
    7. DP2M 2 shot stitch
    8. DP2M 2 shot stitch
    9. DP2M 2 shot stitch
    Carl
    Gallery

  18. #418
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots







    Tires at harbor:

    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #419
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I can see more well defined fine detail in large Sigma DPM prints, compared to prints from my other cameras (XP1, OMD, NEX7).
    Thanks for the info.

    Jim

  20. #420
    24mm
    Guest

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Carl, thanks for the latest bunch of DP1M images, nice shots with good 3D effect to boot ....

    Frank

  21. #421
    Member jminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NW Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Last fall I sold all my digital cameras & lenses with the single exception of the Ricoh GRD. *I'd hit the wall so to speak and felt my photography was going nowhere. *This spring the GRD snapped its last. *As the year went by I started seeing photographs, not in a gallery but out in the world. *I'd be driving along and look out at the passing landscape and "boom" a perfectly framed picture met my eye. *This started to happen more often. *A distant treeline with looming storm clouds, a half dead tree, a pattern of shadows on the lawn, ships in the harbor. *Photographs were everywhere! *So it's time to get back to it. *I love landscapes, and enjoy finding new things to photograph in old familiar places as well as exploring new locations. *I've had the nagging suspicion that I'd only be truly happy shooting landscapes with a large format camera. *After reading this article on the Large Format Photography site,

    A closer look at a large format photo

    That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do. *I enjoy looking at crops of my landscapes and finding things I hadn't noticed when I took the picture. *What a pleasant surprise to find this is possible a non conventional compact DP 2 Merrill. *I realize there is a big difference between the Merrill's output and a 4 x 5 sheet of film. But this small digital camera may be close enough for me. *After viewing Quentin Bargate's *(and others) photos and reading Mr. Reichmann's review I was sold. *And To get the most of what a practiced hand can produce with this camera I will take the advice of Mike Johnston of The Online Photograper fame, and work with this one camera, one lens, combo for a year to see what can be done with the DP 2 Merrill.
    John
    Man, you folks are killing me here. I should have stayed away until I had the funds to buy the camera, but its too late now. That's why I'm trying to make a trade offering my new iPad!!! The excellent quality of these photos are driving me crazy, and I need to get my hands on this camera and start shooting,,,,
    John.
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

  22. #422
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Nothing too exciting from todays's outing in the park with the DPMs.

    DP2M
    A Cornell outdoor education class - tree climbing.

    FULL SIZE

    DP2M
    A shot for checking foliage definition in the trees - see full size.

    FULL SIZE

    DP1M
    Trying to nail down tricky DP1M white balance. Auto tends towards magenta and "overcast" is a bit greenish so this is white balance using a ColorChecker target in the tiff exported to LR.

    FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #423
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Just back from Monaco

    A 6 shot DP2M stitched panorama of the harbour.



    Should make a good print.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #424
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Does the Sigma - VF-11 External Optical View Finder work properly on DP2M?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  25. #425
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    The VF-21 is useful for framing, Uwe, but I don't use it that often

    Flags:

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #426
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Just back from Monaco

    A 6 shot DP2M stitched panorama of the harbour.



    Should make a good print.
    Well, well, well Quentin, just can say...
    Thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #427
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quentin, you don't consider a DP1M too, just for testing...?
    Thorkil

  28. #428
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Sure, Thorkil, I may get one in due course.

    Now printed out the panorama at 179.9cm x 61.6cm (approx 24 x 70 inches). Looks pretty good! It is destined for framing and hanging on the wall of my office in London.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  29. #429
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Sure, Thorkil, I may get one in due course.

    Now printed out the panorama at 179.9cm x 61.6cm (approx 24 x 70 inches). Looks pretty good! It is destined for framing and hanging on the wall of my office in London.
    Sounds great, both things!
    Thorkil

  30. #430
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jminor View Post
    Man, you folks are killing me here. I should have stayed away until I had the funds to buy the camera, but its too late now. That's why I'm trying to make a trade offering my new iPad!!! The excellent quality of these photos are driving me crazy, and I need to get my hands on this camera and start shooting,,,,
    John.
    Yes, John, its a very dangerous thread this one(but after all, it could be more expensive!), specially if one just have to have both a 1M and a 2M, and perhaps the non-belt-pocket-pocket camera GRD too(don't know why you sold this one, but I guess you were down in a sort of self-cleaning mental I-will-never-ever-touch-a-camera-no-more process). My D800E is now for sale, but its hard to know whether it should be the 1M or 2M or both, but Carl and soon Quentin will do the enlighten of the mental-break-down issue there.
    Meanwhile we just have to sit down well-self-controlled back in our armchairs
    Thorkil
    (but, but it might seem that the 2M is a winner, I had hoped that I could avoid learning stitching, but it seems not. And C1 can do it too).
    Quentin, stitching from hand-held pictures is a no-go, or what??
    But John if you are qoing to stick to only one camera and you also consider the GXR, I would go for the DP2M.

  31. #431
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    No more dances.
    Last edited by retow; 10th February 2013 at 22:27.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #432
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Quentin, stitching from hand-held pictures is a no-go, or what??
    Its a go. Not the evening shot, but the earlier one of Curtain Road was hand-held.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #433
    Member jminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NW Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Yes, John, its a very dangerous thread this one(but after all, it could be more expensive!), specially if one just have to have both a 1M and a 2M, and perhaps the non-belt-pocket-pocket camera GRD too(don't know why you sold this one, but I guess you were down in a sort of self-cleaning mental I-will-never-ever-touch-a-camera-no-more process). My D800E is now for sale, but its hard to know whether it should be the 1M or 2M or both, but Carl and soon Quentin will do the enlighten of the mental-break-down issue there.
    Meanwhile we just have to sit down well-self-controlled back in our armchairs
    Thorkil
    (but, but it might seem that the 2M is a winner, I had hoped that I could avoid learning stitching, but it seems not. And C1 can do it too).
    Quentin, stitching from hand-held pictures is a no-go, or what??
    But John if you are qoing to stick to only one camera and you also consider the GXR, I would go for the DP2M.
    Hello Thorkil, yes I will get the DP2 Merrill, either in my trade offer or outright purchase. But any purchase will probably have to wait a few months, that's why I made the trade offer, I JUST CAN'T WAIT
    I Sing The Camera Electric....
    Ricoh GR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #434
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Flags and Sky Crossing

    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #435
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Today I shot just with the DP1M, handheld in auto ISO, A mode. It was a bright, sunny day but the camera picked ISO 200 for all shots. Raws were processed in SPP using "sunlight" WB (auto is consistently magenta biased).


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE


    FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #436
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    3,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Nice Carl, the colors look a whole lot better as many samples on the net. So no AWB!
    Somehow I automaticly never use AWB anyhow.

    I could have been shooting a DP1M for a week, a little more patience it is for now

  37. #437
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    3,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Plenty of detail in that last full size shot. A little purple cast and/or fringing in the trees topleft, but not alarming.

  38. #438
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Nice Carl, the colors look a whole lot better as many samples on the net. So no AWB!
    Somehow I automaticly never use AWB anyhow.

    I could have been shooting a DP1M for a week, a little more patience it is for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Plenty of detail in that last full size shot. A little purple cast and/or fringing in the trees topleft, but not alarming.
    Michiel,

    Yes, I was used to AWB being OK on recent cameras, but not this one. I now use either "sunlight" or "overcast" outdoors and re-check later for manual adjustment. There is a color eyedropper in SPP for correcting color casts or the usual WB correction in LR (on the Tiff file). I frequently need to correct color fringing in LR (usually purple) on high contrast edges.
    Carl
    Gallery

  39. #439
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Carl, looks good except I can see some faint horizontal banding in the sky in the last shot. Otherwise close to the DP2.

    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  40. #440
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots










    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #441
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Carl, looks good except I can see some faint horizontal banding in the sky in the last shot. Otherwise close to the DP2.

    Quentin
    Thanks Quentin. Yes, I noticed that and some blue sky noise also.
    Carl
    Gallery

  42. #442
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Uwe,

    Very nice detail shots in this series.
    Carl
    Gallery

  43. #443
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Hi Uwe

    you made the same shots also with the Fuji X-pro1 in the other thread.

    How would you compare the Fuji X-pro1 results with the DP2M results?

    Which do you like better, which are more "real", more 3-dimensional better IQ etc.?

    Would you rather invest in i.e a Sigma SD1 DSLR, which has the same sensor as the DP2M, or is the IQ difference not that big and the Fuji x-Pro1 can easily compete?

  44. #444
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    I own the X-Pro1. Is a nice camera but AF is very slow. The DP2M has more detail for sure. But the X-Pro1 allows higher ISO. Right now I am not sure I should have gotten the X-Pro1 and not the E-M5 instead. With the DP2M it is often hit and miss especially in the shade. The E-M5 would give me some IS.

    Overall still struggling whether I want to get the DP2M.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  45. #445
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I own the X-Pro1. Is a nice camera but AF is very slow. The DP2M has more detail for sure. But the X-Pro1 allows higher ISO. Right now I am not sure I should have gotten the X-Pro1 and not the E-M5 instead. With the DP2M it is often hit and miss especially in the shade. The E-M5 would give me some IS.

    Overall still struggling whether I want to get the DP2M.
    Hey Uwe, as you probably know the X Pro1 just released their firmware upgrade which make the AF much quicker, almost as quick as the EM5!

    Fuji X-pro1 firmware 2.0 vs. EM-5 Focus speed compare - YouTube
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  46. #446
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    I have upgraded my X-Pro1. It needs very good edges for locking on.

    THere is of course also the raw workflow issue. Don't think there is a good raw converter yet (I use Fuji Raw Converter + Lightroom).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  47. #447
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Thanks Uwe, that's good to know! I've read about the raw conversion artifacts described online! I was considering X-E1 but I think I will pass a lot of this year's cameras and this generation of Fujis since gen 1 for them. I hope the next Merrill cameras for my sake can have even faster processors inside, but so far enjoying this thread very much.
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  48. #448
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I own the X-Pro1. Is a nice camera but AF is very slow. The DP2M has more detail for sure. But the X-Pro1 allows higher ISO. Right now I am not sure I should have gotten the X-Pro1 and not the E-M5 instead. With the DP2M it is often hit and miss especially in the shade. The E-M5 would give me some IS.

    Overall still struggling whether I want to get the DP2M.
    What I do not like with all Olympus cameras, is the sensor size because of DOF. Very difficult to get the background substantially out of the way for portaits with i.e. short tele of 85mm.... (in 35mm terms)

    The SD1/DP2M and all Fuji have at least crop factor of 1.5. And Sigma has this clarity I do not see somewhere else....

    I am currently thinking of getting out of my Sony A900 system and switch the brand....

  49. #449
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    The camera I most want to see the DP2M compared with is the Sony RX1. Similar concept, very different execution.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  50. #450
    24mm
    Guest

    Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    the 3D effect on this one is natural, especially the twig on the wooden frame at the top ....

    by the way, does anyone know how a medium or low raw size is captured by the sensor, like if the lens elements are physically move for so that the light falls onto a cropped sensor .... any guess would be most welcome, TIA ....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •