The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Few pictures to compare the DP2M and D800E.
The D800E is favored, the photographed subject is closer.
Other pictures (mostly with D800E, and some one with DP2m) presented in blog are rather successful.

豚ã￾«çœŸç￾*ã€￾猫ã￾«å°￾判ã€￾俺ã￾«ãƒŠãƒ³ãƒˆã‚« : DP2Mã￾¨D800Eを比ã￾¹ã￾¦ã￾¿ã￾Ÿ

:)
Thanks. I have seen that comparsion before, and unsurprsingly the D800 has more fine detail - but so does my Hasselblad H4D-50 (which would blow the D800 away in that regard). ;) There is more than (well above average) resolution in what makes the DP2M so compelling. These resolution test are fun but don't get to the soul of the camera (in my opinion...). But if its just resolution that intests anyone, my test against the NEX-7 earlier in the thread, flawed though it may be, suggests a resolution comparable with a bayer sensor camera around the 28mp mark.

Thorkil

Hi Quentin, that face I do not think my 800E would be able to do, in that way. Allthough the 800E is impressive in details, the glasses or the combo doesn't do things in that way, the details are some edge-soft. I think such an extreme welldefined, sharp and detailed result as this, plus that roomy very well-done way of render the shape of his head is rather unik. The SWC-hassy had that sharpnes but lacked the more soft/gentle way the Leica lenses, or some, was able to render the 3-dimensional things. I think this lens+sensor has some of the crispnes the old Hassy CF-lenses had, before lead was forbidden and before the Fuji-lenses, plus it also does it in a sort of Leica-way at the same time. And thats an achievement.
Best
Thorkil

octagone

Thanks. I have seen that comparsion before, and unsurprsingly the D800 has more fine detail - but so does my Hasselblad H4D-50 (which would blow the D800 away in that regard). ;) There is more than (well above average) resolution in what makes the DP2M so compelling. These resolution test are fun but don't get to the soul of the camera (in my opinion...). But if its just resolution that intests anyone, my test against the NEX-7 earlier in the thread, flawed though it may be, suggests a resolution comparable with a bayer sensor camera around the 28mp mark.
Here are some details to 100% from the first and last picture of the comparison.
Versions DP2M interpolated 36Mpix.
Details DP2M are smaller because the photographed subject is further away from the D800E.

D800e - DP2 m

octagone

Impressive! What interpolation program did you use?
I am using S-Spline Max, alone, and often associated with Bilinear, to keep a more realistic textures.
For the sheets(leaves) of the examples, I just used S-Spline Max, by having working the accentuation under Photoshop.
Then I work the accentuation under Photoshop, using layers Floux.
I use the same settings in general and accent Floux for version agrendie with S-Spline Max and Bilinear.
Function and textures, I merge (or not), opacity 50 to 54, sometimes 60 (depending on the texture desired result), the result obtained with Bilinear (accentuated with photoshop) with the result obtained with S-Spline Max (accentuation included).

Shown in the details, I think the DP2M, restores over small details that D800E.

And the outlines of sheets(leaves) are better defined.

Some examples of interpolations 45Mpix, using the same method, from a photo treated with SPP.

Photo (X3F format) I downloaded here:
Pond's Place: Sigma DP2M first photos

DP2M user review; 96 photos with full size JPEGs and raw files [Page 1]: Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quentin_Bargate

It is a different lens than the ones in E and m4/3rds mounts.

Why did they make those without the high refractive index elements used in the DP-M lens? :confused:
Good point. Cost? A lot of lenses have been found wanting as sensors have improved. It seems they are only as good as they needed to be at the time. So Hassy have had to upgrade two of their lenses (I changed my HC50 for the HC50 Mark II - much better, sharper lens) - why were they not better specified from the outset? They cost enough! There is no reason why Sigma coud not make more of their lenses to the standard of the DP2M glass.

V

Vivek

Quentin, The Sigma 30/2.8 (and the 19) prices have plummeted from 189 Euros to below 160 Euros.

I would have gladly paid more (would still) for a better version. With better glass, it could also be more compact.

scho

Three more DP2M images from a morning walk along the waterfront. Harsh lighting and I expected to see CA in some backlit shots, but couldn't find any. Click links below thumbnails for full size images.

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

scho

Great stuff, Carl! The near total lack of CA is a huge bonus. What were your settings in Sigma Photo Pro for NR and sharpening?
Thanks Quentin. I had sharpening set for -1 and both chroma and luminance noise reduction at the lowest setting.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carl

Not heard much about the DP1M. Given it must be identical except for the lens to the DP2M, it is surprising not to hear more - possiby tweaking the package to match the performance of the DP2M

A couple of points I have noticed with your tree shots that I have also seen with some of my own DP2M images.

The yellows and reds in shade can look undersaturated. I noticed this with the first sample image I posted of the red tomatoes when I started this thread. The nuts on the left are a little undersaturated compared with real life. I think this is more than a colour balance issue but a characteristic of the sensor. Would you agree? It does not dampen my enthusiasm for the camera, but it is something to be aware of.

Quentin

scho

Hi Carl

Not heard much about the DP1M. Given it must be identical except for the lens to the DP2M, it is surprising not to hear more - possiby tweaking the package to match the performance of the DP2M

A couple of points I have noticed with your tree shots that I have also seen with some of my own DP2M images.

The yellows and reds in shade can look undersaturated. I noticed this with the first sample image I posted of the red tomatoes when I started this thread. The nuts on the left are a little undersaturated compared with real life. I think this is more than a colour balance issue but a characteristic of the sensor. Would you agree? It does not dampen my enthusiasm for the camera, but it is something to be aware of.

Quentin
Yes, I've noticed this as well, particularly if the shadows are boosted to get more detail. Not a major problem, but as you pointed out one to be aware of.

octagone

Great stuff, Carl! The near total lack of CA is a huge bonus. What were your settings in Sigma Photo Pro for NR and sharpening?

I repost what I posted there at 7am.
Apparently he has not been accepted by moderation.

I am using S-Spline Max, alone, and often associated with Bilinear, to keep a more realistic textures.
Then I work the accentuation under Photoshop, using layers Floux.

The leaves, have summers interpolated with S-Spline Max (accented with photoshop).

I use the same settings in general and accent Floux for version agrendie with S-Spline Max and Bilinear.

Function and textures, I merge (or not), opacity 50 to 54, sometimes 60 (depending on the texture desired result), the result obtained with Bilinear (accentuated with photoshop) with the result obtained with S-Spline Max (accentuated photoshop).

In the examples interpolated of DP2M, I find that one see more details small than D800e.
The contours of the leaves are also better with DP2m.
:eek:

DPreview a link with examples 45Mpix, using the same method.
Re: DP2M user review; 96 photos with full size JPEGs and raw files: Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Re: DP2M user review; 96 photos with full size JPEGs and raw files: Sigma SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

:)

Quentin_Bargate

I also use S-Spline Max with Photozoom Pro 4, but I have not combined layers using different algorithms as you seem to have done. Sounds like hard work. If its really does yield better results than the D800E then that would be an exceptional result.

I think the more people who can post their successes and experiences with the DP2M the better we will understand the possibilities and limitations of an exceptional tool.

octagone

Hello Quentin,

My method of interpolation is relatively symple to use.
According to the photographed subject it can ask more or less of working time.

In spite of these défaults, it is true that this device has a lot of potential photo-quality low iso.

scho

Leavings

I'm sure that many different scenarios could be constructed from this scene.:watch: