The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

There does seem to be a consensus emerging among those who have used the DP2 that this camera is the metaphorical game changer.

Perhaps the more interesting question now is where do Sigma go from here? Can they produce a 30mp x 3 Foveon sensor in a new high end product and do they want to do so?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There does seem to be a consensus emerging among those who have used the DP2 that this camera is the metaphorical game changer.

Perhaps the more interesting question now is where do Sigma go from here? Can they produce a 30mp x 3 Foveon sensor in a new high end product and do they want to do so?
What I hope they will do first is to make a 50 or 60mm DP3. Carrying 3 small bodies when I travel is easier than 1 larger body and 3 lenses, but I do need a longer lens for portraits etc.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I hope Sigma make their SD1M SLR more attractive and useable. In his review of the DP2M Michael said they had improved the sensor over the SD1 that he tested.
Sean Reid actually was actually quite upbeat about the useability of the SD1. It is now down at the $2k level.
I'm going through a phase of enjoying more bulk in my life, with my K5 and K-01. It's good to get away from those tiny cameras, with tiny buttons - invariably you still have to carry a bag for them.

Keith

pophoto

Wow. I just browsed very quickly at the LL review of the DP2 Merrill shots here:
Sigma DP2M Review

Scroll 3/4 down the page to the comparison against the Fuji X100, a camera I always thought had good balance, however, compare middle right of the photo of leaves in the shadow region.
I see so more micro-contrast and dynamic range. The details are just fantastic, really blown away by the DP2! Anyways just saying :)

scho

Great review - but what I can't understand is why he didn't use the Sigma 30mm on the NEX 7 - isn't it the same one in the Dp2m?

Also, I think to those who are waiting for ACR support - if there's any lesson to be learned from the X Pro-1 experience - when it comes to "unconventional" sensors, I will stick to the method that yields the best results, even if it's a pain!
The Sigma E lenses are quite different from the new lenses in the DP Merrill cameras. Links below have lens descriptions and MTF charts for each.

DP1M
DP2M

corposant

The Sigma E lenses are quite different from the new lenses in the DP Merrill cameras. Links below have lens descriptions and MTF charts for each.

DP1M
DP2M

Thanks for this - I was under the impression they were the same, which would explain their low cost for the E lenses.

scho

Re: Arca plate for DP2M??

For those that are using tripods has anyone found an Arca plate to fit the DP2M yet? Thanks!
I don't know of any Arca plates but there are a few from RRS that work. I'm currenty using a RRS B-6 plate that I bought a few years ago for my Panasonic G1. Not a perfect fit, but works just fine on the DP2M. They also have small, generic adjustable plates that were intended for P&S cameras.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>What I hope they will do first is to make a 50 or 60mm DP3. Carrying 3 small bodies when I travel is easier than 1 larger body and 3 lenses, but I do need a longer lens for portraits etc.

+1 and make it a macro.

I get a review copy later this week. Quentin, you made me getting excited but also your processing is spot on and has its own style.

Quentin_Bargate

>What I hope they will do first is to make a 50 or 60mm DP3. Carrying 3 small bodies when I travel is easier than 1 larger body and 3 lenses, but I do need a longer lens for portraits etc.

+1 and make it a macro.

I get a review copy later this week. Quentin, you made me getting excited but also your processing is spot on and has its own style.
Thanks, Uwe - and I am pretty sure you will like the DP2M. I look forward to seeing some of your shots with it.

Quentin

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I am pretty sure you will like the DP2M.

I am very optimistic. I actually did studio tests with Dick Merrill at Foveon with 1Ds vs. SD10.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Where can I get a DP2M raw file for workflow tests? I get the camera likely on Thursday.

scho

On Fall Creek, looking at Cornell on east hill. A 50% reduction with some editing in CS6. Open in new window for larger size.

Quentin_Bargate

Food photography, using the DP2M plus dedicated close-up lens AML-2 (which has just arrived)

Not the ideal choice, but it works.

Thorkil

Wonderful shot Quentin!
Now I'm able to fall asleep, had almost abstinences, from too few Merrills lately :)
Thorkil