The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Good with Wood, Uwe! Love those subtle textures, which I think the DP2 excells at if properly exposed.

Lee, owning one of these cameras is a bit like being admitted in to an exclusive club. If you are on the outside, you simply don't understand what all the fuss is about - its just another camera, surely? If you are on the inside, you know you have something pretty special. You have peeked behind the curtain - now you have to join!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>which I think the DP2 excells at if properly exposed.

Yes, what annoys me the most is that the real histogram for the shot can only be viewed after the data are written and that takes a long time. You can shoot again without waiting but I would like to get the info fast.

scho

In my experience it is difficult to capture wood structures with most cameras. The DP2M performed very well.

Agree and old barns are one of my favorite subjects.:thumbup: I can even see subtle texture on smooth surfaces (dirty windows) with the DP2M that is completely lost with other cameras.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I can even see subtle texture on smooth surfaces (dirty windows) with the DP2M that is completely lost with other cameras.

Can also be a curse.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I have to clean my home if I buy this camera?

That is easy. But think of cleaning Half Dome :)

scho

I think it may be safe to order :)
I'm just waiting for the DP1M.
And I think you can trust both Quentin and Carl.
Thorkil
The DP1M is now in stock and shipping from both Sigma and B&H. I had one on pre-order from B&H and it is now on the way to meet it's DP2M mate and hopefully they will share a long and fruitful togetherness in my camera bag.:D

Michiel Schierbeek

+1

Also, see this shot posted over at DPI. I've taken lots of shots like this through airplane windows, but never captured detail like this DP2M shot.
Just unbelievable!

Quentin, how is the (color) noise when shooting long exposure in low light on a tripod?
I don't know how dark it was in your nice cathedral shots and how long you exposed, but those looked great.

Michiel

SlingBlade

Got my DP2M today. My first thought taking it out of the box was, Wow, this thing is slick. I could so easily drop this camera. And I have NEVER dropped a camera before.

My next thought was after a few snaps out the front door and then immediately reviewing on the iMac: Wow! Amazing detail. And that 3D look is there. Color me happy.

The only thing that could be better now is if ACR suddenly announced support....

Iridient Digital is close to releasing an update to Raw Developer that will process DP2 files, so if you're on a Mac you'll be smiling soon. Raw Developer pulls more detail out of my DMR files than any raw processor I've tried to date.

Lawrence