The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

Here is some answer from Phase One (asking them if they would include the DP1m + DP2M in their C1)
"Thorkil, Thank you. The additional information is very much appreciated.
We hope we can meet your request in a future version of Capture One software"
So I'm just hoping.
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Just unbelievable!

Quentin, how is the (color) noise when shooting long exposure in low light on a tripod?
I don't know how dark it was in your nice cathedral shots and how long you exposed, but those looked great.

Michiel
Michiel,

The Cathedral shots were a few seconds. Biggest issue was some greenish corners that required a bit if post processing work in PS6 to remove, otherwise OK on noise.

I rezzed up a shot I took in London recently to 60mp equivalent last night. It waa a particularly sharp and detailed shot, and I swear it looked as good (or close enough not to matter) as a shot from my Hasselblad H4D-50.

However generallly I am a bit fanatical about removing excessive noise because I sell quite a lot of work for stock and that is a requirement of the libraries. I have built standard Neat Image profiles for 100, 200, 400 and 800 ISO and will run them at a moderate level on most images. It does not remove useful detail.

Quentin

biglouis

Well for better or worse I have order a DP2 Merrill today from WEX.

Largely as a result of looking at the results here and elsewhere on the web. Plus the Luminous Landscapes review.

Don't know when I will get it but I may end up competing with Mr Bargate but at the Whitechapel end of Shoreditch.

LouisB

Hi

for those of you, who also use Fuji xpro1 and X100, how would you rate/describe the image quality of the DP2M against them from ISO 100-800?

And how about this 3D effect compared to each other?

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

The Cathedral shots were a few seconds. Biggest issue was some greenish corners that required a bit if post processing work in PS6 to remove, otherwise OK on noise.

I rezzed up a shot I took in London recently to 60mp equivalent last night. It waa a particularly sharp and detailed shot, and I swear it looked as good (or close enough not to matter) as a shot from my Hasselblad H4D-50.

However generallly I am a bit fanatical about removing excessive noise because I sell quite a lot of work for stock and that is a requirement of the libraries. I have built standard Neat Image profiles for 100, 200, 400 and 800 ISO and will run them at a moderate level on most images. It does not remove useful detail.

Quentin
Thanks Quentin! ( An evening/night shot example is most welcome :))

I just ordered the DP2 Merrill with hood from Sigma Benelux. I thought in the end the 30mm is a little more versatile then 19mm to start with.
No idea how long it will take. I tested some files in my downloaded SP.

I thought if Louis is that fast why should I keep on drooling :D

Michiel

scho

I managed to process a few raws from the DP2M this afternoon using SPP 5.3.2, in between the frequent crashes. Can't wait for RD support for the DP2M. SPP would be more tolerable if they could fix this instability issue on Macs.

A couple of detail shots.

Myrtle & Spider silk

FULL SIZE

Rotting sycamore log

FULL SIZE

A high contrast backlit scene.

FULL SIZE

antara

Carl those delicate, sharp green leaves make me drool.;)
Do you have a hoya r72 you can stick in front for ir?
That could be so cool!
Antara

scho

Hi

for those of you, who also use Fuji xpro1 and X100, how would you rate/describe the image quality of the DP2M against them from ISO 100-800?

And how about this 3D effect compared to each other?
I had both the X100 and XP1, but they were sold before I got the DP2M so no current comparisons. However, here are two shots first with the Fuji XP1 taken a few months ago with the Contax G 45mm and a shot of the same scene taken today with the DP2M. The Fujis produce lovely color and excel at high ISO, but do not come close to the resolution of the DP2M at base ISO. I think that is pretty much true of most current 16-24 MP small format cameras, compared to the DP2M.

Fuji XP1

FULL SIZE

Sigma DP2M

FULL SIZE

scho

Largely as a result of looking at the results here and elsewhere on the web. Plus the Luminous Landscapes review.

Don't know when I will get it but I may end up competing with Mr Bargate but at the Whitechapel end of Shoreditch.

LouisB
Thanks Quentin! ( An evening/night shot example is most welcome :))

I just ordered the DP2 Merrill with hood from Sigma Benelux. I thought in the end the 30mm is a little more versatile then 19mm to start with.
No idea how long it will take. I tested some files in my downloaded SP.

I thought if Louis is that fast why should I keep on drooling :D

Michiel
Congrats Louis and Michiel and I'm looking forward to seeing your work with this little marvel.

scho

Carl those delicate, sharp green leaves make me drool.;)
Do you have a hoya r72 you can stick in front for ir?
That could be so cool!
Antara
I already tried with no success. IR blocking is just too efficient.

Quentin_Bargate

LouisB
You'll love the DP2M

Do you ever frequent the Hasselblad Studio up near Hoxton Square?

Quentin_Bargate

OK, the new DP2 firmware has a cool new feature, setting ISO sensitivity on 1/3 steps, and with Auto ISO you can now set upper and lower limits. That makes auto ISO more useful. I have set lower at 100 and higher at 500. AND the autofocus is faster in low light.

Sapphie

I had both the X100 and XP1, but they were sold before I got the DP2M so no current comparisons. However, here are two shots first with the Fuji XP1 taken a few months ago with the Contax G 45mm and a shot of the same scene taken today with the DP2M. The Fujis produce lovely color and excel at high ISO, but do not come close to the resolution of the DP2M at base ISO. I think that is pretty much true of most current 16-24 MP small format cameras, compared to the DP2M.
Hi Carl

Did you mean to post two Fuji shots? Does not even RPP processed Fuji come close?

Lee

I print 95% of the time not bigger than what my Epson 2400 can print (A3+). So resolution is not my main concern.

I find the X100 and Xpro a very interesting system.

But this clarity and 3D effect of these Sigma images is what I am after. Reminds me of film.

Can any system (Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh GXR etc.) compete in this area with the DP2M?

Thorkil

I print 95% of the time not bigger than what my Epson 2400 can print (A3+). So resolution is not my main concern.

But this clarity and 3D effect of these Sigma images is what I am after. Reminds me of film.

Can any system (Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Ricoh GXR etc.) compete in this area with the DP2M?
I don't think the D800E can compete with what I see of the DP2M(and the DP1M hopefully), so I might sell the E. The E lacks the 3D-feeling and crispness which is outspelled in the Merrills.
And the GXR 28 and M-modul can't compete either, from what I see here(but those are my working horses and I like Ricoh too for handling and general IQ). The DP might be for the subtle things, but I would like to see how it handle being used in a more "careless" way, moving etc.
No, I don't think there is a competing system to the DP1/2M's, as Quentin claims too, unless you step up to Hasselblad and perhaps with the Zeiss-lenses then (but they have difficulties being put down in your pocket :) and the drain in your bank is in another leque too)
Thorkil

Sapphie

Oh dear. People here are saying that this little marvel is giving almost medium format quality in a small, portable and bargain-priced package, as long as one is disciplined.

There is more than resolution and details though. Other parameters that we consider in the chase to ultimate IQ include DR, colour accuracy and lack of noise etc.

Could the Merrill owners comment on this?

I can't keep up. Seems like every 6 months or so something 'revolutionary' comes along. I don't plan on ditching my X-Pro system yet and will probably wait until the Spring until considering the Merrill...

Lee