The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

ustein

Contributing Editor
>think the Fujis look more natural

Natural is a difficult term. No photo looks natural :). The DP2M image look different and you may like or not like it (somehow like mild HDR image).

>can look a little 'gritty'

Right but again it may fit or not.

R

raulb

pflower- thanks for the comparison shots, should keep a lot of us busy for some time.

For me apart from the colour rendering its very close.

One place I saw a pronounced difference apart from the brighter rendering of the DP2M is the bricks in the crop. In the Hasselblad they seem to have some depth, more natural looking. In the Sigma they are a bit flat.

But what a performance from the Sigma. Given the price difference between the two and how affordable the Sigma is for so many I think its another impressive performance from the Sigma.

pflower

I think you're right. Viewing the DP2M files on screen is different to looking at prints from them. At present I have made very few prints but they look much less - I think your description is right - "Gritty" than when viewed on screen. On screen they can look over-sharpened and rather harsh. But they don't necessarily print that way. My initial impressions after less than a week are that this is an extraordinary camera but it is going to take a while to learn how to get the best out of it.

The fact that you are even comparing them 'on the same page' says a lot doesn't it?

And, whether it is digital trickery or not, it is still a paradigm shift to have to think about turning sharpness 'down'!

When I compare images displayed here, on this forum, between Sigma and Fuji X-Pro, I think the Fujis look more natural. The Sigmas are no doubt wonderful but maybe they don't 'down size' so well for web viewing and can look a little 'gritty', not sure how to describe it.

Anyway, I guess the only way to tell for sure is to have one 'in the flesh' and see for one self ... maybe ...

Lee

biglouis

Gritty is what I like, so no complaints from me about the texture of the shots. Definitely a good feeling of 3D in this capture - very reminiscent of my M8 using the Lux35-ASPH (which is sold for three times the price of the DP2).

Almost no PP on this shot, as well. I find the Sigma Pro software good enough, I do import into LR but that is to resize and adjust curves. Colours are reminiscent of using LAB space and soft-light to add punch in CS3. Absolutely no sharpening required and at f4 this lens is as good as any I have ever owned - and any in the Leica stable I have owned.

Cropped it as a 6x6 because if I can save my aching back by leaving my 500CM and Planar80/2.8 at home this would be a significant win for me.

Quentin_Bargate

And finally, a little airplane window fun, flying along the French Riviera. The section bounded in red is a full size small section.

Beats reading the in flight magazine :D

The image is cropped a bit to remove the window edge. Detail is what I have come to expect from this remarkable camera.

Michiel Schierbeek

Louis, nice street image. Actually I think this somewhat harsh look fits cityscapes really well. I am really looking forward to use mine.

They seem hard to make because it takes really long.

Michiel

F

FullFrameOrBust

Gritty is what I like, so no complaints from me about the texture of the shots. Definitely a good feeling of 3D in this capture - very reminiscent of my M8 using the Lux35-ASPH (which is sold for three times the price of the DP2).

Almost no PP on this shot, as well. I find the Sigma Pro software good enough, I do import into LR but that is to resize and adjust curves. Colours are reminiscent of using LAB space and soft-light to add punch in CS3. Absolutely no sharpening required and at f4 this lens is as good as any I have ever owned - and any in the Leica stable I have owned.

Cropped it as a 6x6 because if I can save my aching back by leaving my 500CM and Planar80/2.8 at home this would be a significant win for me.

Really cool ...

biglouis

Decided to use the camera in anger today rather than random testing. The first shot must be one of the most famous doors in Princelet Street in London's Spitalfields. It certainly has appeared in numerous UK TV productions set in the Victorian or Georgian period. I've never before been able to capture the ghastly pink and port wine colours of the 'decorations'.

4 Princelet Street

33A Fournier Street - photographed this many times over the years, a couple of years ago I won an Honourable Mention in the IPA awards for this shot. I called the shot "300 Years of History in Spitalfields" because you have Huguenot casesments either side of a Victorian hording on which the youth of Brick Lane have left their mark.

This is a very puzzling camera. I can't quite believe what I see on the screen for the price or the packaging. This may well be the best IQ of any digital camera I have owned or used. The sharpness is outstanding, the colouration, microcontrast and feeling of depth are amazing. The output easily meets and exceeds the results of scanning 6x9 negatives. Indeed, I was hoping this camera might relieve me of the burden of lugging my Fuji GSW690III and it will: it is now on ebay.

If Sony are seriously expecting nearly three grand for the RX1 and Leica are already getting £1600+ for the X2 (let alone the stratospheric prices for the M9 and the new 'M') why on earth is this a £800 camera? I don't want to prejudge the RX1 but if the Zeiss lens is any sharper than the output of the DP2 Merrill then it will be too sharp and unusable.

Sigma may know how to sell lenses but they don't have the first clue how to sell cameras.

Mind you, not that I am complaining. Might snap up a DP1 as well before the company comes to its senses, hires some proper marketing muscle and doubles or triples their prices.

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Could not agree more, Louis....and to think a few idiots said the DP2M was overpriced, mainly because it says "Sigma" on the front :ROTFL:

The DP2M is the most exciting camera I have owned in years. It defies conventional wisdom and has won over hardened sceptics - not least me!

By the way, nice shots Louis. We clearly operate in the same area some of the time. We should meet up for a beer....

Quentin

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
...before the company comes to its senses, hires some proper marketing muscle and doubles or triples their prices.

LouisB
I am sure that the SD1 Merrill preliminary pricing was instructive to Sigma.

It is nice to purchase a digital camera that will hold a decent percentage of its acquisition costs...and one that I will not replace easily.

Bob

kuau

Workshop Member
Now if Sigma could only make some decent lenses for the SD1M besides the 50 Macro and 70 Macro.
Just also wanted to ask, what is it like manual focusing the DP2m?
Can you zoom in at 1:1 for critical focus?

Steven

Quentin_Bargate

Now if Sigma could only make some decent lenses for the SD1M besides the 50 Macro and 70 Macro.
Just also wanted to ask, what is it like manual focusing the DP2m?
Can you zoom in at 1:1 for critical focus?

Steven
Yes 1:1 possible with focus assist. Manual focusing is fine, but I have not had much cause to use it.

scho

A few shots with the Sigma DP Merrill twins on a recent trip to DC. All handheld. See larger image for camera info.

Metal tree sculpture at National Museum of Art (the birds are real)

LARGER

National Cathedral

LARGER

Vietnam Memorial

LARGER

National Indian Art Museum

LARGER

National Indian Art Museum (beautiful curves in this building)

LARGER

Lockheed Blackhawk and Space shuttle Discovery in background. National Air/Space Museum near Dulles.

LARGER

Arlington

LARGER

Unknown Soldier

LARGER

Watching change of guard ceremony

LARGER

New MLK Memorial

LARGER

Lace & Blue Bricks (near Ford Theatre)

LARGER

Sculpture by Ai Weiwei at the Hirschhorn Museum

LARGER

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks for the info Quentin,
I had actually tried for about 10 days a SD1m with an assortment of Sigma lenses, The only lenses I got very good results with were the 50 and 70mm Macros.
My biggest stumbling block was Sigma Photo pro software.
Just to slow..

What is the latest preferred work flow in SPP?

Yes 1:1 possible with focus assist. Manual focusing is fine, but I have not had much cause to use it.

retow

If Sony are seriously expecting nearly three grand for the RX1 and Leica are already getting £1600+ for the X2 (let alone the stratospheric prices for the M9 and the new 'M') why on earth is this a £800 camera? I don't want to prejudge the RX1 but if the Zeiss lens is any sharper than the output of the DP2 Merrill then it will be too sharp and unusable.

LouisB
I have not touched any of my other cameras (of which I have too many:banghead:) since I have the DP2M. The humble Sigma can easily hold its own against a USD 10k combo of M9 plus 50mm Leica lens as far as IQ is concerned.