The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

There is so much good stuff here, I don't know where to start.

Peter, the shot in Grand Central station is a good place to start. Awesome. I bet that would print up large and be a great photograph to look at again and again. You'd probably discover something new each time!

The aerial shot from the balloon is also amazing. Clarity and colours are awesome.

The shots inside the gorge showing the autumns colours are another highlight.

Uwe and Quentin's careful studies are also great work.

If I've left anyone out, sorry, not intentional

What comes across again and again is the clarity, colouration and detail in the shots.

On handling, I think the simpler user interface is a benefit. One of things I always liked about my M8 was that you couldn't really get lost in the menus. Likewise with this camera. The Quick menu is particularly useful and simple to use, or at least I find it so. My only gripe is that I find the body a pleasing shape but slippery.

Actually, the light weight is also an issue. I think this adds to camera shake rather than reduces it (or maybe I really am getting too old).

I think I need to view this as the first digital 'film' camera. The results are very filmic.
I have been treating using it like a film camera. iso100-160 wherever possible, iso400 where you have to, iso800 where the shot itself will be worthwhile despite the noise. I can't recall ever working above iso800 with film because the colour film stocks sort-of maxed out at that level (my favourite being Fuji 800Z <sigh> I wish they would reintroduce that).

The sharpness of all shots I've taken is remarkable. Actually, it is amazing, even unbelievable in some shots. I've seen it and I don't believe it. Keep waiting for the gotcha.

LouisB
Agree Louis and I have to keep pinching myself to make sure this is not a dream. I usually have the DP Merrill on a small tripod when shooting landscapes to get the maximum sharpness available from this little wonder and it does make a difference with this camera - at least for oldies like me.:(

peterb

Louis, thank you for your kind words. Regarding film, I totally agree. I rarely used anything above ISO 400. When I hear the complaints of noise at 1600, 3200 and higher I have to laugh. Does anyone realize that just a mere decade ago shooting (or pushing) film at those levels resulted in images that had little silver boulders embedded in them. And that was BW. Color at anything over 800 (and that was pushing it even with Kodak's vaunted T-grain technology) was a HORROR show.

The camera is indeed very simple. I don't find the weight disconcerting. And in fact am now about to add 90 grams of machined aluminum in the form of milich's specially designed grip for the DP2 M.

But..with the clarity of this mini-beast you've got to make sure you're rock steady. With this sensor/lens combo it is most unforgiving. Tomorrow I'm picking up Manfrotto's neat little mono-pod (Model #682b) with mini 'legs' so I'll always have an easy to set up stable platform when shooting. For a DSLR it would be just barely stable in a pinch for a little guy like the DP2 M/DP1 M it's a no brainer. An easy to carry support you can rapidly set up and take down with minimal fuss to get that stable shot.

Uwe, I saw the workflow from your site. Good stuff! (Along with your terrific images that I've long admired on all of the threads here!)

P

pophoto

First off, I want to say to you all who have contributed to this thread is that:
"I hate you all," harsh words I know, it doesn't get any better from here on out:
"All of the shots on this thread are attention seeking, self-serving, focused on details (no pun intended)"..... You wanna know the truth...truth is, I have caved in, cancelled my RX1 order and ordered the DP2M.

WHY, oh why! Why this insanity, look at what you all have done to me.

Words to Quentin B. (For starting all of this) only: I don't hate you, I loathe you!

I wake up in a cold sweat after nightmares of the DP2M, with my credit card suffocating me, as I pull free to draw air, gasp, it's too late. Bright light from my laptop shining straight at me...."Sigma Receipt Order Number #******."
Not even a Thank you! Just "Please come again!"
-End-

biglouis

Peter

A coincidence but I also have the lightweight (1Kg) small Manfrotto tripod on order (actually it has shipped and I should have it on Monday). Along with another spare battery, the lens hood and 49mm UV filter.

Are there any pictures of the Milich grip? I used to buy his wonderful adapters for my CV thread lens, so I know how good his work is.

LouisB

Amin

We are finally getting a little fall color, although not that vibrant. Here are a few from today's gorge walk. All with DP2M, tripod, and processed using "landscape" color mode in SPP. I usually use "neutral", but felt the dark, overcast light needed a little Velvia treatment. I think it may be a little too punchy still. Most gorge shots are two shot stitches. The "LARGER" images ar reduced 50% from original size.
Lovely series, Carl. There is a stunning amount of detail in those "LARGER" versions!

scho

Peter

A coincidence but I also have the lightweight (1Kg) small Manfrotto tripod on order (actually it has shipped and I should have it on Monday). Along with another spare battery, the lens hood and 49mm UV filter.

Are there any pictures of the Milich grip? I used to buy his wonderful adapters for my CV thread lens, so I know how good his work is.

LouisB
Yes, here.

Looks the same as the grip for the OMD. Just sent my order into John today.

scho

Lovely series, Carl. There is a stunning amount of detail in those "LARGER" versions!
Thanks Amin. Yes, amazing camera for landscape shooting. I was posting full size originals, but the files are too big when dealing with stitched images so I reduced them by 50% (long edge) in LR before exporting the jpegs.

scho

>qualify for "Oldie" status yet

Where does this start?
I guess it depends mostly on your health, but in my case it started with shaky hands a couple of years ago. You seem to have found a a nice solution for stable handheld shooting with the custom grip setup. I could have used something like that on my recent DC trip, although the security around the monuments and museums was as tough as in the airports and they might not have let me in with the grip.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The grip is expensive though :) at $6.35 with free shipping. Could hardly afford one after getting the DP2M.

Quentin_Bargate

Get a grip, Uwe :D (sorry, bad pun)

I have a $30k Hasselblad gathering dust, thanks to Sigma. :eek:

My lightweight Induro A014 tripod, levelling head and Nodal Ninja 3 MkII combo is the perfect travelling pano tool (by pano, I include of course stitchig just a few shots, not 360 degree stuff). I hope to have more time to use this soon. an external battery adapter would be great.

I think Sigma should cancel their own DPM website and simply link to this thread.

Quentin

peterb

I think Sigma should cancel their own DPM website and simply link to this thread.

Quentin
Ha! Now I'm onto you, Bargate! Your fiendishly clever plan all along was to show us rubes what utterly jaw-dropping images you can make with this so you could get a commission for all of Sigma's successful sales!

Brilliant! :D

biglouis

Top of Primrose Hill, today. iso100 f8 1/320

When I opened this up in Sigma Photo Pro it really was a FM moment.

I also thought you might want to link to the original sized file just to see the detail and the amazing microcontrast. You can actually see through windows on the top of the BT Tower and I am fairly certain that 747 is a British Airways plane.

Be warned this is a 10MB file (80% jpg compression)

LouisB

scho

Top of Primrose Hill, today. iso100 f8 1/320

When I opened this up in Sigma Photo Pro it really was a FM moment.

I also thought you might want to link to the original sized file just to see the detail and the amazing microcontrast. You can actually see through windows on the top of the BT Tower and I am fairly certain that 747 is a British Airways plane.

Be warned this is a 10MB file (80% jpg compression)

LouisB
Beautiful image Louis with a fantastic sky and that great Foveon detail. A bit less sharpening and a little shadow fill light in SPP would be my only suggestions for improvement.