The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

F

FullFrameOrBust

Top of Primrose Hill, today. iso100 f8 1/320

When I opened this up in Sigma Photo Pro it really was a FM moment.

I also thought you might want to link to the original sized file just to see the detail and the amazing microcontrast. You can actually see through windows on the top of the BT Tower and I am fairly certain that 747 is a British Airways plane.

Be warned this is a 10MB file (80% jpg compression)

LouisB
Holy Crap!!!

F

FullFrameOrBust

Uwe,

I agree. The Sigma reins for detail but there is more to IQ than detail. There is something very special about the X-Pro images too.

Lee

I am a BIG X-Pro fan, no doubt. I had it at the same time as a Nex-7 (have the XE-1 on pre-order).
The Nex-7 had clearly more detail, but I dug the X-Pro better (although I did indeed miss the detail).

This Sigma has more detail, but also a level of bite that the Sony did not have.
And the color... much nicer/richer IMO than the Sony, FWIW.

Bite, to me, puts you 'there' (3-d) if it is right, as opposed to a more compressed presenation like the Sony.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>A bit less sharpening and a little shadow fill light in SPP

Carl what are you using most of the time?

Quentin_Bargate

Shadow noise in moderation does not bother me. I can deal with shadow noise in post processing, but I can't add detail that is not there in the first place. On that basis, the DP2M is simply a better choice for me than the X-Pro1.

scho

>A bit less sharpening and a little shadow fill light in SPP

Carl what are you using most of the time?
Uwe,

I've been setting sharpness in the 0 to -1 range in SPP. Fill light 0.1 to 0.3 when needed. WB is sometimes a struggle and I try to get close in SPP and then refine in LR. Color mode is usually neutral, but the last series of fall color shots I used landscape. I set both noise reduction sliders in SPP to the minimum.

F

FullFrameOrBust

Shadow noise in moderation does not bother me. I can deal with shadow noise in post processing, but I can't add detail that is not there in the first place. On that basis, the DP2M is simply a better choice for me than the X-Pro1.
I agree, but... at low ISO's, of course.
The X-Pro1 has far more latitude(alas, and there is the rub).

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I set both noise reduction sliders in SPP to the minimum.

As I understand this cannot be stored in a Preset. Really bad.

scho

That is the primary reason I did not continue with the XP1. My images had beautiful, smooth color, but the razor sharp real detail was just not there for me. RPP did a much better job compared to LR, but although detail was improved somewhat it was associated with some noise I didn't like.

F

FullFrameOrBust

That is the primary reason I did not continue with the XP1. My images had beautiful, smooth color, but the razor sharp real detail was just not there for me. RPP did a much better job compared to LR, but although detail was improved somewhat it was associated with some noise I didn't like.
Yup, this camera has just RUINED me because of that (thanks Quentin ;>/).
:scry:

ustein

Contributing Editor
> Did Adobe make any improvements to raw processing for the XP1 in their latest LR release?

Not yet.

DP2M: Detail amazing, lens is first rate, colors can be mutes, shadows noisy, no high ISO camera, $1000

X-Pro1: 35mm lens is good, detail can be an issue if pixel peeping, colors fine, high ISO nice, raw processing needs improvement, 35mm is an f/1.4 lens for shallow DOF and real low light, $2300 with 35mm
I see it this way and the x-pro1 is in this regard the same as any other top-digital-camera (although I like the Fuji images a lot):

X-Pro1: Really good looking digital image of something

DP2M: This is not an image. Your are standing there in reality!

Rich M

REALLY enjoying everyones' shots. Here are a few while traveling through New England with both cameras. At this point, I find I am shooting the DP1M a lot more.

(Even though I reduced sharpening significantly....it still looks crunchy)

Inside too....

R

scho

REALLY enjoying everyones' shots. Here are a few while traveling through New England with both cameras. At this point, I find I am shooting the DP1M a lot more.
R
Very nice Rich. Are you wearing dual holsters for the DPs?:)

Rich M

Very nice Rich. Are you wearing dual holsters for the DPs?:)
Hehehe........kinda. I have them both armored up with screen protectors, tight fitting neoprene pouches and sturdy wrist straps.

I feel I can toss them into any bag I happen to be carrying. The straps are different colors, so I know which one to grab. Both are set up the same and the QS menu makes changing settings a dream.

I'll start visiting some Western stores though......I like the holster idea :D

R

Rich M

Rich - great stuff. Are you doing much PP withe these shots or are they pretty close to this out of SPP?

Lee
Lee......pretty much straight out of SPP. I am still struggling a bit with WB, but the eyedropper tool in LR fixes that. I think I went +5 in vibrance in LR...that's about it.

R