The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Farnesworth

A couple more from yesterday - full resolution versions available at picabroad.com

Admin Edit -- you linked to way too large images for smooth viewing here, so I have removed your images. Please feel free to repost at no larger than 1200 pixels. We do have a dedicated thread for posting very large images.

Rich M

Very nice Cy....the full size image of the bridge is startlingly sharp. I think I recognized one of the walkers. ;)

R

ustein

Contributing Editor
Cy,

could you please embed smaller images (the browser chokes with that large images) and link to the full sizes pictures on your site.

The SF shot is amazing. What was the vantage point?

Farnesworth

The Golden Gate picture was taken at a generic tourist spot - the visitor center - I just got lucky with the fog.

Sorry - I'd not realised that the full size versions were feeding through to Getdpi - try these - earlier ones deleted. Full sized pics should be on the website.

Cyrus

Farnesworth

Hi Uwe....got you now :)

The city shots were taken from the outdoor lounge at the top of the Madarin Oriental in SF....amazing view...I made a large panorama of 8 shots that I'll stitch once I have access to a proper computer.

Cyrus

Quentin_Bargate

I think it is quite important for my future sanity that we gain an insight in to where the magic lies with the DP2M - Sensor, lens, or both?

My view is it is probably a combination of a superb lens matched to a high resolution sensor, with the Foveon design being an important part of the success of the package, albeit not the whole story.

The reason I feel this is important is because I cannot presently see myself being satisfied with any lesser performance. The DP2M has spoilt me for any other camera, even where they have higher absolute resolution or performance. I now know what CAN be achieved at a fairly modest price. On the plus side, I should save money, but it would be good to know if Sigma have a road map to follow the DP2M.

Otherwise I just may go slightly mad!

Quentin

Michiel Schierbeek

Quentin, they must have noticed there is something going on with this camera and there sure will be a follow up.
And let's hope it is a full frame version with a EVF and a mount that can take many good lenses, but that is probably asked to much at the moment.

I am cross posting this because I started in the wrong thread that I was reading.

Before I was finished fiddling with all the menu settings I had only room to take 16 shots of which half was still in Jpeg mode. I will need a lot of batterys. Anyone bought extra batterys already?

But when I got it right, it is right! What an astonishing detail!
I can literally count the bricks of the Rijksmuseum from that distance. (not that I am going to :D)

Nothing very special yet, but I want you to know the little wonder arrived :)

Michiel

Last edited:

Rich M

Michiel,

I have long admired your work shooting facades with the GXR and ZM lenses.

I think that this camera is designed with you in mind. I can't wait to see more.

R

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel

Good shots. I agree the DP2M could have been designed with this kind of work in mind. You should get along famously!

Quentin

simonstucki

nice to see that some cameramakers do it absolutely right.
I think the lens is a very important part with the dp2m the sd1m uses the same sensor but even with the current price it isn't nearly as attractive as the dp2m.

I hope sigma gets why this camera is so good and continues in this direction (maybe with a dp3m with a 60mm macro? for macro obviously but even more for even higher resolution images when stitching (so it would be absolutely important that the lens is also very good at infinity))

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I think that this camera is designed with you in mind.

Most certainly! Please count the bricks.

I have 4 battery. One hardly lasts for 50 shots :)

Rich M

Some shots today with the DP1M walking around Yale.....learning curve stuff. Overcast (hey, I'm in New England).....but kinda awesome because there are no deep shadows. Handheld, the DP1M allows for a slightly lower shutter speed, 100ISO, +0.7 EC.

It's really hard to truly appreciate these cameras viewing these web images. I am still counting bricks too ;)

R

peterb

Uwe, Rich...MARVELOUS SHOTS. Here's one I got tonight: Subway Smooch. Caught this amorous pair holding the camera at waist level by the neckstrap, just casually glancing to see if the alignment and focus was on. Proof that the DPM2 can be called on from time to time to do some good street work. ISO 800 and BW is a good way to go. Raw-2-16Tiff-LR for finals.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

biglouis

The Golden Gate picture was taken at a generic tourist spot - the visitor center - I just got lucky with the fog.

Sorry - I'd not realised that the full size versions were feeding through to Getdpi - try these - earlier ones deleted. Full sized pics should be on the website.

Cyrus
Cy

Great shots. Left you a comment about your testing alongside the OMD. Love the Golden Gate shot. Great atmosphere.

LouisB

Michiel Schierbeek

>I think that this camera is designed with you in mind.

Most certainly! Please count the bricks.

I have 4 battery. One hardly lasts for 50 shots :)

957871....957872.... 957873.....957874.....957875...... 957876....957877....957878....957879.....957880.....957881......957882.....957883.....957884......957885.....957886.....957887......957888.....957889.....957890......957891.....957892.....

Thorkil

I think it is quite important for my future sanity that we gain an insight in to where the magic lies with the DP2M - Sensor, lens, or both?

My view is it is probably a combination of a superb lens matched to a high resolution sensor, with the Foveon design being an important part of the success of the package, albeit not the whole story.

The reason I feel this is important is because I cannot presently see myself being satisfied with any lesser performance. The DP2M has spoilt me for any other camera, even where they have higher absolute resolution or performance. I now know what CAN be achieved at a fairly modest price. On the plus side, I should save money, but it would be good to know if Sigma have a road map to follow the DP2M.

Otherwise I just may go slightly mad!

Quentin
Quentin, just allow me to say some small and silly words.
The lens at the DP2M seems to be a little masterpiece, at the DP1M its perhaps slightly soft in corners/edges or the sensor got some limits catching the diagonal light. But it seems like each layers in the sensor has a more simple task to do, compared to a normal sensor, and therefore its able to render so precise and sharp. But its not the whole story I think (but I don't know off course). Perhaps the travel of light it selves through the 3 layers create that magical drawing at the edges of things/contrast etc. Let me compare it to: when I have been drawing details 1:1 of new window-profiles or door-profiles to be made of wood and build into old buildings, it is important to note that the shape of these profiles at the edges often are not, as most people imagine, just a quarter of a circle, but instead the most refined are a quarter of an ellipse. An ellipse catches and throw back the light in a much more refined way than just a quarter-circle, and the profile it selves and the room gets illuminated in a better way too. Well, it has perhaps nothing to do with the Foveon sensor it might seem, but anyway, the travel through the 3 layers might give that special edge that is just about looking over-sharpened in our eyes and brains, and also might give that rendering that let the picture look 3-dimentional...perhaps…and perhaps therefore it handles light “around corners” in this very refined way.
Thorkil