The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

kuau

Workshop Member
Just got my DP1M and DP2M today from LensRentals.com
Did some test shots, nothing worth posting yet though
Been shooting at ISO 100 only with making a custom WB. I find I always have to decrease exposure in SPP by about -.7 to -.9 so I don't blow the high lights and then have to add some fill light.
Decrease noise stuff by one click..

So when I come out of SPP in either Adobe RGB or ProPhoto 16bit tiff,
The image looks different in PS CS6 then is does in SPP.
I read somewhere about a bug in SPP where it does not work with display profiles. Is this true? If so is there a workaround?

Charles2

... is there a workaround?
Roll back to v. 5.3.1. I found that if you go to the Sigma Corp. web page that offers only download of the current version, 5.3.2., and change the appropriate 2 in the URL to 1, you can download 5.3.1.

Sapphie

Worth a try but, according to a post on DPR, 5.3.1 can apparently make vertical banding more obvious and that an sRGB workflow may be best for now ...

Lee

W.Utsch

I use just 5.3.2, no problems with calibrated monitor. Export out of SPP to LR 4.2 in ProPhoto 16 bit Tiffs. Pics look alike in SPP and LR. On a Mac.

Overexpose by 0.3 or 0.7 and reduce exposure in SPP, recovers highlights quite well.

biglouis

Louis, Very nice shots. I like both versions of the clock - which has the correct color? The burnt doors is a nice subject, but when I look at the image I'm having trouble with focus on the doors (I'm having blurry vision eye problems at the moment from floaters, so probably just me). The razor wire and chain link fence above the doors appears sharp, but are the doors also in focus or not?
Hmmm. You are right, I think there is a small amount of camera shake in the burnt doors picture. It is sharp but not sharp enough. I am a bit more concerned about the clock picture. I honestly can't recall if the brown is authentic, or whether the red in the film frame is. I'll have to pass through there again to check it out. The only thing that makes me think the brown is authentic is that the icons on the suspended sign in the background include a red one. This will bug me so I'll have to go back this week and check the colours visually!

LouisB

kuau

Workshop Member
What OS on your Mac are you running? I read that 10.8.2 does not work correctly.
I am on Windows 7 64bit and it for sure does not work.

I use just 5.3.2, no problems with calibrated monitor. Export out of SPP to LR 4.2 in ProPhoto 16 bit Tiffs. Pics look alike in SPP and LR. On a Mac.

Overexpose by 0.3 or 0.7 and reduce exposure in SPP, recovers highlights quite well.

scho

What OS on your Mac are you running? I read that 10.8.2 does not work correctly.
I am on Windows 7 64bit and it for sure does not work.
Steven, I'm also using 10.8.2 on a MBA and having no problems with SPP 5.3.2 in terms of color matching. Just the occasional, random crash. :) I don't do any heavy processing in SPP, just minor exposure adjustment, WB, and no noise reduction. Export 16 bit tiffs to LR.

kuau

Workshop Member
I just confirmed for us Windows 7 64 bit users, that indeed by using SPP 5.3.1 at least when you output out of SPP in 16bit ProPhoto that indeed it does match in PS CS6 and LR4.2

I will uninstall 5.3.1 and go back to 5.3.2 and see if working in sRGB and outputing in 16bit sRGB does indeed work.

W.Utsch

10.8.2 as well. Works fine. SPP seems not to like my 2 display setup with iMac27+ cinema display = occasional crashes when both displays are used. Displays are calibrated.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Steven

Well the light was great this afternoon which helps and I shot using sunlight not auto WB Other than that just using neutral in Photo Pro with the usual smattering of x3 fill light and tweaking in photoshop until it looks right.

Quentin

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Quentin
So I take that starting from "Neutral" is better then "Standard"

Steven

biglouis

Hi Steven

Well the light was great this afternoon which helps and I shot using sunlight not auto WB Other than that just using neutral in Photo Pro with the usual smattering of x3 fill light and tweaking in photoshop until it looks right.

Quentin
Quentin

That is a very film-like capture. Reminds me of what I normally get when I scan 120 frames of Kodak Portra 160. Lovely detail in the ploughed fields and in fact all the way from the foreground to the background. Very impressed with the way the sky detail has been retained and not blown as is the norm for most digital cameras.

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Looking good for your first shot, Steven...:thumbup:

And yes, Neutral is better in most cases than standard. But of course you can change it in Photo Pro if shot in RAW.