The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Millsart

I'm not sure if my PC is up to the task (or am I given the time it will take in SPP) but I should really throw my DP2M onto my Gigapan robotic head and see what a 200 or so megapixel equiv Foveon stitched mosaic would look like just for the fun of it this weekend.

scho

Thank you Michiel - I will give that a try in PS -

Leonard
Quickmats is another option, although it was designed primarily for print output. It runs as an action in Photoshop and includes many options. Here is a sample using an image I posted earlier in this thread. The full size version can be used to create a very high resolution print suitable for framing under glass without any additional matting. Very deceptive, see full size for texture I applied to mats.

FULL SIZE

I don't know if he is still selling this software package, but here is the link.
QUICKMATS

Quentin_Bargate

Would you mind explaining what a type-C is?

Thank you in advance!
Po
Sure, a C-type print in my case will be a Lambda print using lasers and photo sensitive paper - essentially a modern take on old fashioned chemical prints. Fans of the process say it is superior to inkjet prints because it is a continuous tone technology, not ink dots, but that is not the reason I am using it. I am using it because the final result will be sealed on the back of a Perspex "lamination" which won't work with an inkjet print. In short, it's a top quality long lasting system.

I have already printed the image full size on my Epson 7900 so the comparison will be interesting. It is however pretty expensive.

Quentin

jlm

Workshop Member
having played around a bit with both, get ready to put a big 1 and 2 on them as they are almost insdistinguishable!

Quentin_Bargate

A quick random thought on value for money.

In the UK, a DP2 or 1M costs just less than £800 including tax. Both together cost a total of £1,600.

A single Hasselblad lens for the H-system costs around £3,000 on average (that's the price of a 35mm or 50mm lenses, before VAT at 20% is added).

Valid comparison? Possibly not if you are a portrait photographer.

I use the Hasselblad as a point of reference because I own a H4D-50 and three lenses, a sizable investment. Other points of reference would include a Sony RX1 at around £3,000. I use both systems but the 'blad much less in recent weeks.

I am building a portable system around the Sigma DP2M and DP1M. This includes a Lee compact R75 filter system, ND grads, a panoramic head and leveling head, all of which add a few hundred pounds to the combined cost of the Sigmas but still comes in well below the price of the single Hasselblad lens or the RX1. I do not feel that this is a compromise.

I have been and expect to continue to use the DP2M and DP1M far more than the Hasselblad simply because they are more versatile and the image quality of the Sigma's is so good.

What does all this tell us about value for money?

the 100 x 24 inch pano has arrived and will be hung tomorrow.

scho

Looking at all of the holes and burrows in and around this old stump, it seems to be like an apartment house for a variety of gorge creatures. DP2M 3 shot stitch.

HALF SIZE

biglouis

In the UK, a DP2 or 1M costs just less than £800 including tax. Both together cost a total of £1,600.

A single Hasselblad lens for the H-system costs around £3,000 on average (that's the price of a 35mm or 50mm lenses, before VAT at 20% is added).

Valid comparison? Possibly not if you are a portrait photographer.

I use the Hasselblad as a point of reference because I own a H4D-50 and three lenses, a sizable investment. Other points of reference would include a Sony RX1 at around £3,000. I use both systems but the 'blad much less in recent weeks.

I am building a portable system around the Sigma DP2M and DP1M. This includes a Lee compact R75 filter system, ND grads, a panoramic head and leveling head, all of which add a few hundred pounds to the combined cost of the Sigmas but still comes in well below the price of the single Hasselblad lens or the RX1. I do not feel that this is a compromise.

I have been and expect to continue to use the DP2M and DP1M far more than the Hasselblad simply because they are more versatile and the image quality of the Sigma's is so good.

the 100 x 24 inch pano has arrived and will be hung tomorrow.
I agree. This is a worrying camera because used carefully the results equal (actually I can justify the word 'surpass') anything from my Leica lenses costing several thousand pounds or my MF film cameras. I too am beginning to add to my kit - filters and tripods.

I just received a 30x20 print of my Primrose Hill shot from a few pages back. It is nothing short of amazing.

LouisB

scho

I agree. This is a worrying camera because used carefully the results equal (actually I can justify the word 'surpass') anything from my Leica lenses costing several thousand pounds or my MF film cameras. I too am beginning to add to my kit - filters and tripods.

I just received a 30x20 print of my Primrose Hill shot from a few pages back. It is nothing short of amazing.

LouisB
+1 I actually went back to LF and MF film for awhile because the best digital cameras I had available at the time (Leica M8 RF and Canon 5DII DSLR) just didn't do it for me. So I'm not complaining now about ergonomics, battery issues, etc. with the DP Merrill cameras, compared to the hassles with film and scanning to get an image worthy of a large print.

corposant

It tells me that the inherent value of your Hasselblad kit is far less than the combined value of your DP1+2 Merrills put together, because you are using (or going to use) the latter more often than the former.

My conclusion: sell me your Hasselblad kit for less than 1,600 and get out while you can at a fair price. :thumbup::grin:

Millsart

Doing a 3 or more image stitch with the DP2M seems to take what is already "magical" and just takes it to another level. The overall look and detail of the image takes me right back to looking at 6x7 chromes on a light table.

The lens already has a rather pleasant bokeh quality, but being only 30mm, your not going to get that shallow of DoF effect. Doing a quick stitch gives me a file that so reminds me of my 105mm f2.4.

The fine detail, clarity and microcontrast, paired with some shallower DoF effect, and the smooth tonal qualities are just pretty amazing, especially for just $999.

DP2M, a pano rig, and the willingness to do the work really does allow one to rival the output of MF backs costing 20-30x as much. Unreal

Rich M

Looking at all of the holes and burrows in and around this old stump, it seems to be like an apartment house for a variety of gorge creatures. DP2M 3 shot stitch.

HALF SIZE
Carl......great capture. Some of your other shots of the gorge (shot at 1/10s) still seemed to lack some of the micro contrast that this one (shot at 1/6s) has.

Any idea why?

Aaaahhhhh.......now maybe I see why.......is it because that it is a 3-shot stitch (like Millsart was talking about)?

Anyways.......I like this one :thumb up:

R