The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Millsart

The files are the furthest thing from traditional RAW files. You need to use Sigma's software, and while its honestly not quite as bad as people make it out, it requires a workflow all of its own when it comes to color settings, white balance and sharpening, not to mention the range of adjustments possible with the X3 fill light.

Other than that, after exporting as a 16 big TIF, they can be treated like a typical file and processed in LR etc.

Its a double edged sword in a since because SPP is tough to use, but some of the adjustments can only be done in SPP, yet others you'd rather wait to do in LR, for one reason, because some adjustments crash SPP

corposant

The files are the furthest thing from traditional RAW files. You need to use Sigma's software, and while its honestly not quite as bad as people make it out, it requires a workflow all of its own when it comes to color settings, white balance and sharpening, not to mention the range of adjustments possible with the X3 fill light.

Other than that, after exporting as a 16 big TIF, they can be treated like a typical file and processed in LR etc.

Its a double edged sword in a since because SPP is tough to use, but some of the adjustments can only be done in SPP, yet others you'd rather wait to do in LR, for one reason, because some adjustments crash SPP
Oh, that's not what I meant. I understand the need to use SPP, I meant more about playing with the settings on the camera itself. I assume if I shoot RAW, everything can be manipulated by SPP (like a traditional RAW file)...?

Michiel Schierbeek

It' s all in this thread.

All settings can be manipulated in SPP. WB etc.

Expose for the shadow.

In camera sharpness -2 or to your preference.

ISO between 100 and 200 preferably. (Can be adjusted in more steps with the latest firmware)

Focus carefully!

Try it and have fun.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Here is another example of the extraordinary detail this camera is capable of.

I was just looking at this photograph when I realized these walls are full of nails.
Had not noticed it in reality.

Michiel

Last edited:

biglouis

Quentin, beautiful shots. I especially like the wider shot - I expect that the textures of the different subjects are outstanding.

LouisB

Rand47

OK, way too many uber-sharp shots here. This one is from a trip up the Pacific Coast this last week.. in the fog, into the sun, and then mangled in LR and NIK ColorEFX. :D

Michiel Schierbeek

@ Rand 47; Real good filmsetlike shot. I quess she didn't jump..... :rolleyes:

Here is one from an erodet, massive aluminium, sculpture of mine in my garden in France shot @ 2.8

Michiel

scho

It is still grim and gray November around here, but when I took my afternoon walk down in the gorge today a bit of color caught my eye in the woods. Someone spent some time collecting colorful leaves representing a transition of fall colors and then arranged them on a dead tree near the gorge trail. I was much happier to see this form of graffiti compared to spray painted bad "art" and obscenities on rocks and trees. Bad enough to endure this c--p in the city, but it really makes my blood boil when I see it in natural areas.

FULL SIZE

Rand47

Something a little less literal . . .

Bronze on Monterey Plaza
(About 10% of the image frame.)