The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

retow

Amazing retow!
Curious to see what they look like in colour. You must be quiet a mountaineer!

Michiel
Hi Michiel, the cabel car brought us there;). It's the mount Pilatus at 2100m in central Switzerland. At least we decided to walk down (to 400m) with the first section being quite demanding. I was carrying the Fuji XE 1 with the 18mm, 60mm and CV15 with the DP2M. The CV allowed a few fun shots and the 60mm was useful to have. But in truth, the DP2M was all I really needed. A DP1M & DP2M might be a great combo in the mountains. After 2 months or so with the DP2M I'm seriously thinking of selling my M9 and all m-lenses. As nice as the m system is, from an IQ standpoint and for most of my needs I don't see why I should use it in lieu of the Sigma since I'm a big fan of lightweight and small for travelling and outdoors. Three from the way down.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Ah a cable car! I could do that :watch:

I see what you mean, Retow, with your preference for B&W.
The world is very blue up there and the skys can be very highlighted.
As soon as the greens come in, colour works well, I think.

That would be a big step for me to sell a Leica M9 with lenses, but I hold on to my equipment to long, I think.
Camera bodys, no problem, but nice lenses...
I would think this lens is nice for portraits, this lens is nice for macro,
this lens draws beautifully, etc etc .........

Michiel

corposant

Anybody here find that the Foveon sensor doesn't handle highlights as well as some other options?

Also, what's everybody's limit on shutter speed? I haven't tried anything under 1/60.

scho

Also, what's everybody's limit on shutter speed? I haven't tried anything under 1/60.
Too slow for my shaky hands. I try to stay above 1/125 or better yet use a tripod whenever possible. The DP2M can capture and reproduce such amazing fine detail it is a shame to sacrifice it for a slower shutter speed.

Michiel Schierbeek

Composant; highlights can be hard especially with white skys in the sun area.
If it is much worth then other cameras, I wouldn't really know.
I do shoot @ 60 an even less, but mostly when I am to busy framing/photographing, I forget. :facesmack:
That doesn't always work out well.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Today was the yearly big herringfeast in Dieppe.
A beautifull clear day with millions of herrings getting barbecued.
Yesterday I could buy 100 herrings for € 10,--. I didn't.
If I would have known, I would have given a herring party.

Michiel

Rand47

Lovely day in Southern California, on the way home from services . . .
Light, clouds, boulders, farm fields and "purple mountain majesties..."

Crop

This camera is fast becoming my favorite. The ability to tote it along at all times and then produce resutls like this - simply amazing.

Last edited:

scho

A product shot with the DP2M. My new backup camera :rolleyes: for the DP2M. I'm hoping it can provide image quality close to the DP2M, but at wider and longer focal lengths (when I find the right lenses). The DP2M will remain my main camera for landscape work.

scho

A comparison using the DP2M and M9 (M-E with CV Nokton 1.5). They seem to be roughly comparable in image quality, given the inadequacies of casual comparisons.

First the DP2M, click image for full size

The M9 shot, click for full size.

Michiel Schierbeek

Congrats with your new camera, Carl! What a beauty!

Compleetly different colors! Leica does look very green. The color of water is very diffrent as well, but the pictures don't look as if they were shot the same day.

Michiel

Last edited:

peterb

Carl, the two images are quite interesting considering the price difference!

Since I saw how well the Topaz DeNoise works with the DP2M after reading about it on a thread in another forum (DPReview) I've started using the cam more at higher ISO's (up to ISO 4000 in fact!) and it's really been fun. (BW only though. Color is waaaaaay too wonky!)

scho

Congrats with your new camera, Carl! What a beauty!

Compleetly different colors! Leica does look very green. The color of water is very diffrent as well, but the pictures don't look as if they were shot the same day.

Michiel
Thanks Michiel. Yes, as I noted above a very casual comparison. The DP2M image was taken the day before I got the Leica. I'll do a better comparison soon.

scho

Carl, the two images are quite interesting considering the price difference!

Since I saw how well the Topaz DeNoise works with the DP2M after reading about it on a thread in another forum (DPReview) I've started using the cam more at higher ISO's (up to ISO 4000 in fact!) and it's really been fun. (BW only though. Color is waaaaaay too wonky!)
Thanks Peter, I'll have to give that a try for B&W work. I've used Topaz Adjust, which includes some limited de-noise functions, but haven't worked with it for B&W.

biglouis

Carl

Interesting comparison. Fits in with my experience of comparing the same scene, admittedly several years apart(!) with my M8, D700 and the DP2M. In every instance the DP2M out resolved fine detail and had better microcontrast. On top of that I have found less blown highlights in sky and more sky texture - looking very 'film' like. Incidentally, I owned two different CV 50/1.5 and both samples were cracking lenses. Very (very) soft at 1.5 but at f2 a beauty for portraits and at f8 every bit as good as a summicron. Converts to B&W very nicely, as well.

Don't want to disappoint you in your new purchase but I feel the DP2M slightly betters the M9. But on the other hand, you are right about needing the versatility of more than one fixed focal length.

Enjoy both cameras!

LouisB