The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Michiel: superb ("Old Dutch twilight").

@ W.Utsch: can you post an image of the Nodal Ninja 3 setup, please, and advise the setback you use to avoid parallax? I am looking at one of these myself.

@ dtakias: can you advise maximum focussing distance with the closeup lens fitted, please? I have not been able to find that info anywhere. I have ordered one, yesterday.

Finally, to Michiel: I will be posting some images from Sydney today; paying work has stopped playtime!

D

dtakias

@ dtakias: can you advise maximum focussing distance with the closeup lens fitted, please? I have not been able to find that info anywhere. I have ordered one, yesterday.
Between 19cm and 32cm. At least that's what the manual says. I can get fairly close but not too much. For the price I think it's worth it though.

W.Utsch

@kit laughlin
Here is my Nodal Ninja setup:

DSC03462.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

DSC03463.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Hardware: Nodal Ninja 3 (the 1. one), Novoflex Quick release, Novflex leveling head, Linhof tripod.

The nodal point of the DP2M is about 3,2 cm from the center of the the tripod mount = the inner beginning of the focus ring at the lens.The camera set to this point works very good even with close objects. For landscape work the NP is not very important. The camera level is more important, so the horizon is straight.
You don't need the leveling head and/or the quick release, but it is much easier and more convenient. As seen on the second pic the setup is really small and light - easy to carry. The NN is in the 2 small bags, the tripod here is a Cullmann.

At the DP2M is a Milich Grip connected, which is a always on.

Software:
Camera all in M mode incl. WB, SPP, LR4, stiched with PTGui pro, all on Mac

Rand47

Michiel: superb ("Old Dutch twilight").

@ W.Utsch: can you post an image of the Nodal Ninja 3 setup, please, and advise the setback you use to avoid parallax? I am looking at one of these myself.

Finally, to Michiel: I will be posting some images from Sydney today; paying work has stopped playtime!
I appreciated W.Utsch's photo of his Nodal Ninja setup. I have found, however, that it is more simple and even more stable to remove the vertical arm (once the nodal point has been established and marked) and use a clamp directly attached to the rotator arm. Here's an example using my earlier model Nodal Ninja:

It makes for faster set up, and less to carry about. Since it is a fixed focal length lens it is easy to establish and mark the appropriate distance from the center of rotation for the camera. This, of course, assumes that one is doing single-row pans and not multi-row.

Best regards,
Rand

W.Utsch

Hi Rand,
i have seen your setup in an other forum and loved it. I prefer single row panos as well.
I have a similar Arca style clamp and the Milich L plate. However it is not possible to move the slider forward enough so the camera is moving around the nodal point. The turning knob of the NN gets in the way. I can see at you pic that the cam sits to far back.
Have you a solution? I really loved to use your setup.
Regards
Werner

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello W Utsch; you wrote:

The nodal point of the DP2M is about 3,2 cm from the center of the the tripod mount = the inner beginning of the focus ring at the lens.
Looking at your image above (not Rand's), you achieve the offset by how you positioned the camera on the top NN mount? This is a beautiful setup, and I will duplicate it but without the Novoflex levelling head (I will use a small ball-head instead) and I have a hotshoe level, too.

Thanks for that!

And to dtakias: thank you. Mine should arrive this week.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
OK, first for Michiel, a shop front I liked:

And a shot of a gentleman while he was having coffee and reading the paper:

And a crop of the actual pixels:

And another shot of Syuu Chi:

And actual pixels, unsharpened:

and just to show you that I don't only like cats:

And one with some local schoolchildren, SOOC:

I have started working with the X-E1, too, and will show a few from this later.

Chers to all, KL

W.Utsch

Looking at your image above (not Rand's), you achieve the offset by how you positioned the camera on the top NN mount? This is a beautiful setup, and I will duplicate it but without the Novoflex levelling head (I will use a small ball-head instead) and I have a hotshoe level, too.
Kit,
to answer your question:
Yes, you adjust for the nodal point by moving the cam on the upper rail. For multi row panos you tilt the upper row as needed.
As written, i would like to use Rand's setup with just one rail, because it's elegant, lighter and easy, but i could not move the cam forward enough to the nodal point.

BTW: Nice to see some people shots with the DP2M

Regards
Werner

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you, Kit, for this little tribute :) Glad you enjoy your camera!

@ Louis, thanks for the kind words on the landscape!

Guys, when i find the time I will take a shot of my pano setup.

Best, Michiel

W.Utsch

@Michiel:
Looking forward to se your pano setup.
Your last pic of "Old Amsterdam" is fantastic, allow me a tribute to you and A'dam in this forum, even its not taken by an DP2M (sorry guys) but by Leica M8 and Nocti:

L1000170.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

The city in winter is very special, so i try to travel there as often as possible! Michiel, i think you know that shop!​

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes she is a fomous lingerie designer and every man should know her :ROTFL:

Next time you come to Amsterdam give me a PM and we can have a beer and look around. That is if I am ther of course.

Here is my setup for Pano's. It is a bit heavy but I could get this Roundabout NP for a good price. I think I can hang an MF camera on it as well.
I must say that I do most simple pano's out of hand because I like to saunter about light :)

Michiel

Excuse me for the colours but I just try to make an artwork out of everything :facesmack:
(The second one is also shot with the NEX, I don't have two Merrills)

W.Utsch

Michiel:

Thanks for the friendly invitation, i will remember when i come next time to Amsterdam.

Panohead looks very "solid" indeed. Heavy to carry? Had a Manfrotto big as yours for the 5DII before. I am glad about the light NN and DP2M setup right now. Fits in a very small bag.

Will try freehand (landscape) panos as well - pretty bad, wet, cold,dark...weather right now...keeps me from going out.

Posted 3 more from Amsterdam and the seaside at the Leica forum if you want to have a look:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica...er-fun-w-digital-m-images-168.html#post472642

I always enjoy and admire your posts: Great work - keep on posting...

Sapphie

Grabbed an hour out for the first time in ages today. I took my DP2M and my X-Pro 1. The former was the one that begged to be used the most ...

Lee