The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Michiel Schierbeek

Beautiful winter scenes, Steven! Only remark is the houses in the second picture are skew.

Rich, nice portrait indeed! Also would like to know in camera B&W?

Michiel

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Michiel,
I will correct the skew in LR4, easy fix, I guess i didn't have the DPM2 level.
Steven

Beautiful winter scenes, Steven! Only remark is the houses in the second picture are skew.

Rich, nice portrait indeed! Also would like to know in camera B&W?

Michiel

Sapphie

I wasn't as close as he was ...

I actually handed the Merrill to my beloved who took this one, which was the best shot of the day ...

Lee

Quentin_Bargate

In case anyone has wondered what I am up to, I have been spending time organising shots from my recent trip to Morroco - Fes, and Chefchaouen.

Here are two from the trip, both taken with the DP2M

The first shot is of a leather worker in Fes Medina, and second a view of Chefchaouen.

The DP2M and DP1M were my main trip cameras.

Quentin

W.Utsch

Quentin, fabulous! Glad to see you posting again.
Who said the DPM's aren't for portrait work!
So, sometimes the portraits are too sharp.

Have a happy, healthy new year!!

Werner

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Who said the DPM's aren't for portrait work!

For me they show too much detail. But this is also a matter of the image size on the web.

Quentin_Bargate

>Who said the DPM's aren't for portrait work!

For me they show too much detail. But this is also a matter of the image size on the web.
It's also the intent of the photographer, Uwe. I shot and processed them that way. Otherwise I might as well have used an "ordinary" camera.

Quentin

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It's also the intent of the photographer, Uwe.

I know. I just mentioned my take and as mentioned it depends on the viewing size. Was no disrespect.

Kirk Candlish

The vast majority of modern cameras have too much detail to be flattering to people, women in particular. That's where good Photoshop skills come in. Mask the face and retouch. I'd much rather have to reduce detail than try to work without it.

Quentin_Bargate

The vast majority of modern cameras have too much detail to be flattering to people, women in particular. That's where good Photoshop skills come in. Mask the face and retouch. I'd much rather have to reduce detail than try to work without it.
Exactly, if that is the effect you want. I do that frequently if the aim is a flattering portrait. The Merrills are particularly good at emphasising nooks and crannies in faces, which makes them the perfect choice where the opposite effect to the wedding portrait or glamour look is required.

When I chose to use the DP2M and DP1M almost exclusively in Morocco, it was because I was looking for portable cameras with ruthless detail, both for the architecture and for the people. In that they excelled :thumbup: The local people wear their lives on their faces. I'm not interested in taking away some of that life.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm not interested in taking away some of that life.

I agree with that 100%. Just felt this portrait a bit over the top at least in the resolution I see here.

Michiel Schierbeek

Exactly, if that is the effect you want. I do that frequently if the aim is a flattering portrait. The Merrills are particularly good at emphasising nooks and crannies in faces, which makes them the perfect choice where the opposite effect to the wedding portrait or glamour look is required.

When I chose to use the DP2M and DP1M almost exclusively in Morocco, it was because I was looking for portable cameras with ruthless detail, both for the architecture and for the people. In that they excelled :thumbup: The local people wear their lives on their faces. I'm not interested in taking away some of that life.
Then I must be a local as well :ROTFL:

Michiel

V

Vivek

In case anyone has wondered what I am up to, I have been spending time organising shots from my recent trip to Morroco - Fes, and Chefchaouen.

Here are two from the trip, both taken with the DP2M

The first shot is of a leather worker in Fes Medina, and second a view of Chefchaouen.

The DP2M and DP1M were my main trip cameras.

Quentin
I think it is marvelous! :thumbs:

Though the man had paused a little for the photo, he is still doing what he was working on in the photo. Oh, the face the is full of stories. Thanks for sharing, Quentin. :)