The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

W.Utsch

Yea, i think we should not "pixel peep" to much here and run into senseless and endless competitions.
It is perfect to use different cameras.
Most of the time i know which tool is the right one for the task.

Sadly weather is so bad, i can not go out to have fun photographing.

Kirk Candlish

Sharpness is but one of the many things that make the DP2M look what it is. Compare it to any camera you like, it's just got a look all it's own.

retow

The sharpest combination I have is the Olympus E-M5 with Olympus 75mm f/1.8, and I compared today shot against the same object.

It must be said that this Oly combination is incredibly sharp - sharper than a similar test I have done with the famous Nikon 200mm VR F.2.0

I am fully aware that it is not the exact way to compare these two things - one is 150mm and the other is 45mm ('s equivalent), so it's not a fair test, but I had to try anyway

Oly combination was sharper - for me clearly, but Sigma-one has a better "look", where Oly combination is more "digital", hard to explain, but I think you understand.

Sigma DP2Merrill is really sharp enough and I am very happy with it, but it got better sharpness with USM 30-7-3 .... or High Pass, pixel 1 radius and overlay (Nikon NX2 after conversion to TIFF), not both, as I would normally use as default, and then sometimes put it down, for example with Oly combination.

(the sharpening I do is for print - normally A3+)

-----

I am still a little worrying about the "formatting-problem", where I took the battery out (please see earlier post) - I have just read a huge warning about it in the manual for the Sigma - does anybody know what - in worst case - could happen ?
Camera shake, shutter speed, iso, raw converter for the Foveon file (SPP is the one to use), oversharpened Oly jpegs, examples? If your Oly produces really sharper images the Merrill on a comparable basis, then your Sigma must be a lemon and should be replaced.

biglouis

Like a lot of people in this thread owning a DP2M has completely put me off other digital cameras. I've never seen such detail in digital captures. I can't afford a digital MF system which might be an improvement over the DP2M but the results out of my DP2M blow all other APS-C and full frame 35mm digital systems I have owned out of the water. Especially my m43rds system.

If they can crack the poor performance at high iso...

Quentin_Bargate

Like a lot of people in this thread owning a DP2M has completely put me off other digital cameras. I've never seen such detail in digital captures. I can't afford a digital MF system which might be an improvement over the DP2M but the results out of my DP2M blow all other APS-C and full frame 35mm digital systems I have owned out of the water. Especially my m43rds system.

Louis, you can rest easy. Even if you did own a digital MF system, you would be just as besotted with the Sigma. ;)

Kyndel

If your camera formatted the card OK on second try, I don't see why you should be worried. I had the same problem and my card is working nicely (although better speed would be nice :))
My wild guess about formatting problems is that the first time you format the card in camera, it has "NO NAME" name. Whet the camera starts to format, it renames the card to "Sigma DP2M" and starts to format card. I think that the problem lies in some bug somewhere between naming and formatting (camera trying to format card "NO NAME" but actually has card "Sigma DP2M") because the second time you try to format the card it already has correct name and formatting succeeds. Just my wild guess :grin:

valka
I think this sounds plausible - I fired some shots, and the next time the formatting went well in seconds.

I am not worrying about the card, only the camera, because they warns about it.

Kyndel

Camera shake, shutter speed, iso, raw converter for the Foveon file (SPP is the one to use), oversharpened Oly jpegs, examples? If your Oly produces really sharper images the Merrill on a comparable basis, then your Sigma must be a lemon and should be replaced.
Of course I did it the proper way with support for the camera, high(fast) shutterspeed, iso 100, used SPP for the Sigma, and no sharpening either with the Oly, and both in RAW converted to Tiff.

....otherwise it would not give any meaning.

But the center area is as it is - fine, but not better than the other mentioned, more right to say a bit less sharper (exept for the 28.s), but I also compared with some of the sharpest combinations I have, while the rest (the sorroundings) of the picture/frame is sharper than all with the Sigma, and the colors beat them all.

Perhaps - as mentioned - my copy has a slight front focus ?

Michiel Schierbeek

I wanted to photograph this window for some time now, but as usual there are always cars in front of the door. Not this time.
First day out after terrible weather, snow, rain and storm and a nasty flew.

I like the origami style lettering here made out of the same triangles. (I think this shop hasn't been changed since 1948)

Michiel

biglouis

Blimey! I went away from my PC after posting the above and when I returned a few hours later - 6 likes. Must have said something right, for once!

:D:D:D

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Hello,

Do you ask if my photo is a multiple exposure photo out of photoshop ?

The answer is no. This is a single shoot out of the DP2m.

Here is a test shoot :

Last edited: