The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

amazing pictures in this thread! congrats all!!!!!

I'm Street Photographer I already have Fuji but the quality of DP2 is amazing really, the question is.... how about high ISO? 1.600? Someone have experience DP2 at high ISO?

Hulyss Bowman

Hello Ricardo,

The DP2m is absolutely usable at high ISO but, from 800 ISO you should switch in B&W to avoid Chroma problems. Here is a backstage @ 1000 ISO, Exifs inside.

And the crop to show what you can expect at 100%

Hulyss Bowman

Thank you Hulyss Bowman really a very nice shot! I shoot only BW... :) so this is not a problem at all. Did you use the optical viewfinder?
I never use optical view finder on compact camera. I'm a Nikon FX user and this is the only VF I want in my life (with the S2 vf).

My point is, for street photography and hyperfocal, this is not a problem. The real problem with VF come when you need critical focus at a certain area of the frame AND!!!!! while I speak to you, I just gor an idea :)

Why not SIGMA do not build an Optical View Finder with hologram projection of the current af selection (transmitted by the hot shoe) ?? I hate EVF they are fugly and I'm close to be sick each time I look in one.

Anyone know this : Reflex Sights - Docter

Kyndel

Fine pics with good leading lines, BigLouis

Would "Church open daily" not benefit from a tiny bit exposure down ?
(11th Century Saxon Church,St Hubert's in the field at Idsworth)

---

I have just received the camera, and has only had time for some few test shot:

I have read here, that it is mandatory to shoot with overexposure + o.3 or+ 0.7,("the sensor need light") and then later set i down in PP, and some - at the same time - recommend to shoot with spot or center W., ......NOT Matrix.

What do you use Quentin ?

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Hulyss welcome here, seen your photos before :)
(Tired of all the whining on the FM forum? :cool:)

From the " Mager brug '' across the Amstel river. A view on the Town hall and Music Theater and on the right The Museum Hermitage.

Michiel

biglouis

Fine pics with good leading lines, BigLouis

Would "Church open daily" not benefit from a tiny bit exposure down ?
(11th Century Saxon Church,St Hubert's in the field at Idsworth)
Thanks, Kyndel, Sapphie, Kit et al.

Kyndel, here is the 100% crop of the "Church open daily" without further processing. I think the exposure is fine. And remember, you have to get up early to get the post on a Saturday :D:D - although aparently you can get a post up to 6:30pm at the Waterlooville Delivery Office during the week.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the detail up to 100% on this camera is freakingly good! especially considering this was handheld at f5.6 and this is the edge of the frame.

Kyndel

Thanks, Kyndel, Sapphie, Kit et al.

Kyndel, here is the 100% crop of the "Church open daily" without further processing. I think the exposure is fine. And remember, you have to get up early to get the post on a Saturday :D:D - although aparently you can get a post up to 6:30pm at the Waterlooville Delivery Office during the week.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the detail up to 100% on this camera is freakingly good! especially considering this was handheld at f5.6 and this is the edge of the frame.
Perhaps you are right - I wrote it after looking at the whole picture (1399).

Another thing: Most here recommend to shoot Center W. metering - do you use that ?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Would "Church open daily" not benefit from a tiny bit exposure down ?

I would tune highlights slightly down in Lightroom. Of course a matter of personal taste.

scho

A few from a frigid walk up Fall Creek gorge to Ithaca Falls. I used a small tripod, to stabilize both the DP2M and for myself as a walking stick going up the icy trail. These are all two shot stitches.

This is a full size original image with good detail in the gorge wall.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Carl your a brave man going there this time of year........ everything is ice covered and slippery and a fall can be a long fall. Down this way they close off access to some of our area falls because it is so dangerous to walk to them.

Very nice shots....

Thorkil

Hello Ricardo,

The DP2m is absolutely usable at high ISO but, from 800 ISO you should switch in B&W to avoid Chroma problems. Here is a backstage @ 1000 ISO, Exifs inside.

And the crop to show what you can expect at 100%

very, very beautiful done! very nice way the grainy look render. Thanks for adding aspects to the Merril
Thorkil

scho

Carl your a brave man going there this time of year........ everything is ice covered and slippery and a fall can be a long fall. Down this way they close off access to some of our area falls because it is so dangerous to walk to them.

Very nice shots....
Thanks Jim. This is one of two area gorge trails that remain open all year, the rest are closed from late Nov to early May. The only real danger here is to make sure you are not walking on an ice shelf of unknown thickness down at stream level near the falls.

Hulyss Bowman

Thank you guys. Then, it come to my mind that the numerous Samples out of the future new SPP monochrome are not that cool, after all : SIGMA Monochrome - a set on Flickr

The grain in the above photo is camera grain at 1000 ISO (and you can push further just below 1600). For someone who master curves and B&W, I don't think this new SPP will bring THAT much in our work-flow. I'm probably wrong so just wait and see. So far, I prefer the natural grain of the camera and I push you to test it.

snowy

Are the raw files for the Merrill's the same type as the original DP1? I ask because I was playing with some raw images off my old DP1 yesterday and I'm able to open them directly in photoshop (Elements 11 on a Mac in my case). So SPP isn't required for those files. Would the Merrill files also open directly in the Adobe RAW processor?

Michiel Schierbeek

Are the raw files for the Merrill's the same type as the original DP1? I ask because I was playing with some raw images off my old DP1 yesterday and I'm able to open them directly in photoshop (Elements 11 on a Mac in my case). So SPP isn't required for those files. Would the Merrill files also open directly in the Adobe RAW processor?
They probably are. Interesting that you can open those RAW's directly. I didn't know that. Bridge (CS6) doesn't recognise Sigma RAW files and I can't open them.
But why wouldn't you want to use SPP for it? It is especially designed for it and does something to the files no other program probably can.
It works well for me.

Michiel