The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Jim DE

My DP2m arrived today ..... everything I have seen as far as images here and else where and all the positive comments about DP2m are spot on. I did some of the obligatory test shots (I too have a single dust spot but only visible at f16 and I never shoot at that setting so it's a non issue for me as of right now) and was cut short due to battery power (which are currently charging for tonights outing).

On my 27" MAC the images are eye hurting sharp and intensely detailed right from the get go in SPP (I dialed it back a bit). Use the info I acquired from a couple of our members with the color wheel and exposure setting and created a 16bit tiff. Took the TIFF file , < cough > 86mp each, and finessed them in Aperture for my final review. All I can say is WOW and thanks to all who have helped me on this quest. I am one happy camper!

snowy

They probably are. Interesting that you can open those RAW's directly. I didn't know that. Bridge (CS6) doesn't recognise Sigma RAW files and I can't open them.
But why wouldn't you want to use SPP for it? It is especially designed for it and does something to the files no other program probably can.
It works well for me.

Michiel
I found SPP very frustrating with extremely slow response and frequent crashes, so using ACR to open them is much easier! But if SPP is the only way of doing some of the processing I suppose I'd better persevere with it!

The files on my old DP1 are still X3F - is that not what the Merrills use? I guess I'll find out when I eventually can afford to buy one :)

Simon.

kgelner

I found SPP very frustrating with extremely slow response and frequent crashes, so using ACR to open them is much easier! But if SPP is the only way of doing some of the processing I suppose I'd better persevere with it!

The files on my old DP1 are still X3F - is that not what the Merrills use? I guess I'll find out when I eventually can afford to buy one :)

Simon.
The Merrill's also use X3F, but the way the RAW data needs to be processed is not currently supported by Adobe. The more people that write to Adobe and ask for such support, the sooner it may happen...

Michiel Schierbeek

Simon.
Simon,

I think the crashing is solved now. At least it doesn't happen anymore on my computer since that I downloaded the latest version.
Magnify is a little slow but for the rest it is oké, I think. I don't think SPP is that bad. In fact once you get used to it, for me, it is a rather fast proces to get the files to the point that I like them.
It takes some exercise.

Michiel

Jim DE

Thanks Carl..... yeah I found this structure on a old military base today and it was like finding a pot of gold for the Merrell

I find it is very easy to get a tonemapped look with these files in SPP...... I am not a fan of tonemapped images so I have to remember LESS is BEST in SPP ;). Today I ended up using Auto and then moving WB to neutral (I am going to set my camera to that instead of landscape from now on) and the color wheel to halfway to 0300. Then cut and ran by half sizing a 16bit tiff as the output and finessed it in Capture One.

Kirk Candlish

Yes the DP2M has renewed photographer's love of gritty things and peeling paint.

Auto WB is terrible in my experience with the DP2M. Set it to daylight in daylight and it's quite good. Likewise in the studio.

Jim DE

Kirk, True enough but I also think the DP2m makes the photographer look deeper into his surroundings and transition more deliberately from one subject to the other compared to a dslr and a backpack full of glass.

I have been using my NEX7 essentially as a fixed lens camera for the past year or so so this part of the move to a DP2m I am already comfortable with and it was painless.

Like every camera it will take time, shutter actuations, and hours in SPP to know the idiosyncrasies of this camera and software. One thing I am sure of is with resolution like this once I get these learning issues put to bed I will have a tool I can work with. I bought it for one purpose only: that is as a light weight scenic camera. I will always use it supported on a lightweight tripod and will continue to use filters. All this fits in and on a very small doctors bag style case with a shoulder strap with a overall weight that is exceptionally light.

I have several other camera systems I use for other specific purposes when needed so I went into this merrell purchase eye's wide open and use specifically defined. I see it this way... if Zeiss makes a wide angle that works great on my Nex7 in the near future its price will be more than what I paid for the DP2m and I feel I am getting better IQ right now than I do with the NEX7 and a 45mm CG lens (which is a exceptionally good piece of glass in it's own right).

Kyndel

What is the final verdict / judgment: Sigma DP1 M Vs. Sigma DP2 M here?

More flare from M1, not so sharp corners Unless stopped down? a bit CA, ......is it that or ..... anything else?

I ask because I am considering 1M too.

----

Another thing: Is it worth it to buy 95 MB per second card for it, it helps to buffer?

And can it handle the 32GB card without problems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-32GB-SDHC-Memory/dp/B005LFT3QG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2RVRIHSXIMH78&coliid=I2P11ENITDAY3C

Thanks

Jim DE

Kyndel, I cannot speak intelligently about the DP1 but I am pretty sure after using my DP2m for a few days that the DP1m will definitely be a high on my list of potential next cameras in the future. ;)

As far as cards I have that same card in my DP2m and no issues to report on as yet.

Kyndel

Thank you, Jim, good to hear - I could be addicted to this camera ;)

I am about to order the "normal" flash for this camera, but nobody seems to use it or write about it - Sigma EF-140 DG Shoe Mount Flash ?

I can get my all my big Nikon SB flashes to work in manual mode, but not my small SB400 ?? and I will try this time to have a light combo as an alternative, so therefore I am interested in a small flash for the pocket

Any experience ?

(I have seen the flash thread, but this thread is about other flashes than the Sigma EF-140DG)

Iceman73

Hi Everyone,
Newby here... Just posting a few of my first shots from the DP2M. I'm loving the quality I get from this cam, and as far as workflow goes - it's great.
It's like therapy for me to take pics, PP them, I mean the whole process just love it. I've been shooting this cam for just a week now, and the weather here (London) has not been in my favour - when its bright, I'm working and when I leave it's dark - but after a month or so I should put it more to use.
My 5 year old has always been my test subject, and he's tired of it after seeing his dad change camera like every season...so I've just snapped away at the moment without thinking about composition or anything... just testing, but I like what I see.
PP in SPP->Tiff to LR4->Silverefex Pro, Colourefex Pro and DXO Filmpack.
CC & guidanace always appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Anand

SDIM0055-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0052-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0052-Edit-2 by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0051-Edit-2 by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0020-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

Quentin_Bargate

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots - Morocco

This link is to a two-row panorama shot of the interior of Al-Attarine Madrasa, Fes, Morocco, mono sepia conversion, taken using the DP2M, Pano head and tripod last November (I have a colour version as well). Warning: large jpeg file. It has been sharpened for print, so it may look a little over sharp on screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Attarine_Madrasa_QDB_Mono.jpg

I will on some future date link to a fuller set of shots from this trip (I have posted one earlier already). Its a question if having the time. The tinted conversion was done using NIK Silver Effex Pro, then tweaked on Photoshop.

The biggest problem taking this shot were other tourists....They of course had a perfect right to be there, but getting the rows of images without someones head in it was a challenge ;) It took over two hours as a result to get the final image.

Quentin

Iceman73

Hi Everyone,
It has been a pleasure using the DP2M. I've not put it to much use as the weather's not been on my side (dark before I start work, dark when I leave) and the cameras still showing me the ropes... But from what I see, I really like it. I can put up with the quirks and slow operation - it rewards some great results.

I've snapped a few of my 5 year old (he's always my test subject for camera testing - and he's had enough of it as his dad changes cameras like every season) Not taken any composiotion into consideration but just saw the light and snapped.

Aperture Pri - Centre weigheted - PP in SPP->tiff to LR4->Colourefex Pro, Silverefex Pro, and a hint of Kodak Elite Colour 200 via DXO Filmpack on the colour ones.

(SPP is PITA getting WB correct, the rest I have patience for)

I love how black and white shapes with the images this sensor outputs (after PP). And now I'm only carrying the Fuji X10 and DP2M in my bag - hands down the 2 best cameras I've ever used...

CC and advice / guidance always appreciated. 

Thank you for viewing.
Anand

SDIM0055-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0052-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0052-Edit-2 by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0051-Edit-2 by Iceman_1973, on Flickr

SDIM0020-Edit by Iceman_1973, on Flickr