The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Fine pics with good leading lines, BigLouis

Would "Church open daily" not benefit from a tiny bit exposure down ?
(11th Century Saxon Church,St Hubert's in the field at Idsworth)

---

I have just received the camera, and has only had time for some few test shot:

I have read here, that it is mandatory to shoot with overexposure + o.3 or+ 0.7,("the sensor need light") and then later set i down in PP, and some - at the same time - recommend to shoot with spot or center W., ......NOT Matrix.

What do you use Quentin ?
Sorry missed the question...

Usually I shoot 100iso +0.3 or +0.7 exposure compensation, matrix, or sometimes manual. Quite early on I discovered that some compensation was desirable and it is possible to recover a lot of highlight info. Many of my shots are taken using manual exposure and if using auto, then I will look at the histogram and may bracket. No one set of settings works in all situations, so I play it by eye on the day. For some reason I find the exposure marginally more accurate with the DP1M.

Kyndel

Sorry missed the question...

Usually I shoot 100iso +0.3 or +0.7 exposure compensation, matrix, or sometimes manual. Quite early on I discovered that some compensation was desirable and it is possible to recover a lot of highlight info. Many of my shots are taken using manual exposure and if using auto, then I will look at the histogram and may bracket. No one set of settings works in all situations, so I play it by eye on the day. For some reason I find the exposure marginally more accurate with the DP1M.
Thank you Quentin

- In the mean time I tryed some shots, but found out, that using Average metering (Center W) gave longer shutter time/slower (pardon my English) - longer/slower than Matrix, and it is not so fine, if you shoot handheld.

scho

A few snaps from today's waterfront trail walk with the DP2M. Click images for full size originals.

Rand47

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots - Morocco

Positively stunning! Thank you for sharing.

Rand

This link is to a two-row panorama shot of the interior of Al-Attarine Madrasa, Fes, Morocco, mono sepia conversion, taken using the DP2M, Pano head and tripod last November (I have a colour version as well). Warning: large jpeg file. It has been sharpened for print, so it may look a little over sharp on screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Attarine_Madrasa_QDB_Mono.jpg

I will on some future date link to a fuller set of shots from this trip (I have posted one earlier already). Its a question if having the time. The tinted conversion was done using NIK Silver Effex Pro, then tweaked on Photoshop.

The biggest problem taking this shot were other tourists....They of course had a perfect right to be there, but getting the rows of images without someones head in it was a challenge ;) It took over two hours as a result to get the final image.

Quentin

Jim DE

I am really getting to like this "lil black brick" even more than even I anticipated.

I mounted a Franiec grip on it yesterday (what a nice guy to do business with .. I don't do PayPal and he worked with me to get this deal done) and it does give the body a better feel though I will be shooting with it on a very light tripod 99% of the time so grip is not really an issue for my shooting. I have a Manfrotto hotshoe cube level on it now but ordered some of those flat hotshot cover bubble levels to try on it (.30 USD ... I splurged for 3 ;) ) to try and get rid of some bump issues that big square cube sitting on top the hotshoe sometimes creates while carrying it.

I am sold on these Merrells and see a DP1m in my future .... thanks to all those who have helped me along the way with this and those who quietly tolerated my questions ;) Hopefully I can start to contribute more to discussions about theses fine tools as my experience with them grows.

Kyndel

I am really getting to like this "lil black brick" even more than even I anticipated.

I mounted a Franiec grip on it yesterday (what a nice guy to do business with .. I don't do PayPal and he worked with me to get this deal done) and it does give the body a better feel though I will be shooting with it on a very light tripod 99% of the time so grip is not really an issue for my shooting. I have a Manfrotto hotshoe cube level on it now but ordered some of those flat hotshot cover bubble levels to try on it (.30 USD ... I splurged for 3 ;) ) to try and get rid of some bump issues that big square cube sitting on top the hotshoe sometimes creates while carrying it.

I am sold on these Merrells and see a DP1m in my future .... thanks to all those who have helped me along the way with this and those who quietly tolerated my questions ;) Hopefully I can start to contribute more to discussions about theses fine tools as my experience with them grows.
I bought this grip too, and I agree = He is a very friendly man to do business with + the grip is fine.

scrane

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill shots - Morocco

This link is to a two-row panorama shot of the interior of Al-Attarine Madrasa, Fes, Morocco, mono sepia conversion, taken using the DP2M, Pano head and tripod last November (I have a colour version as well). Warning: large jpeg file. It has been sharpened for print, so it may look a little over sharp on screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/Attarine_Madrasa_QDB_Mono.jpg

I will on some future date link to a fuller set of shots from this trip (I have posted one earlier already). Its a question if having the time. The tinted conversion was done using NIK Silver Effex Pro, then tweaked on Photoshop.

The biggest problem taking this shot were other tourists....They of course had a perfect right to be there, but getting the rows of images without someones head in it was a challenge ;) It took over two hours as a result to get the final image.

Quentin
Wow. Thanks for this. I'll bet it looks great in color, too, with the DPM's ability to capture subtle tonality. I especially like the guy in the corner.
In a lot of instances the new Sigmas are frustrating to view on the web because the resized output often don't translate well to the small screen. You are very generous to post this awe-inspiring masterpiece of detail.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Anand, image SDIM0051-Edit-2 is superb; the expression, and the moment of capture is perfect.

Quentin: magnificent, and the half-loiterer sets it off.

Jim DE

All I can say is I am very happy I decided to get my DP2m.... it is bringing the fun back into my photography. I know if I do my part it will reward me with exceptional IQ so what more could one want in their camera. This is a meat and potato's camera more than a bell's and whistle's type and is taking me back to my photographic beginnings. Sadly my other camera systems are getting neglected at the moment due to this "lil black brick". ;)

mezzoduomo

All I can say is I am very happy I decided to get my DP2m.... it is bringing the fun back into my photography. I know if I do my part it will reward me with exceptional IQ so what more could one want in their camera. This is a meat and potato's camera more than a bell's and whistle's type and is taking me back to my photographic beginnings. Sadly my other camera systems are getting neglected at the moment due to this "lil black brick". ;)
If I ever go back to my Sony or Nikon, I'm going to have to take some time to remember how they work! ;)