The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Kyndel

Thank you very much for showing this.

I have just got the Sigma viewfinder - the missing focus-point is not a problem for me, you can learn that,

.... but there is no dioptri, and that is a problem for me, even I do not wear glasses generel, only for reading, but I have dioptri in all my other cameras, and I can see now how important that is = I do not like to look at a blurred frame without dioptri, so I think I will return the Sigma-viewfinder og perhaps use your solution.

The Ute

I am not sure if a viewfinder w/o diopter adjustment will work for me either.

On any other cameras I use I have them, and I always need to dial them in.

I may just have to try one w fixed adjustment and find out if it works for me.

If it doesn't I will probably go w Ustein's solution.

I wonder if an shoe-mounted EVF from another manufacturer would work on the Sigma ?

When you install the shoe-mounted Sigma flash does anyone know if it just makes a connection ? Or does it pull a voltage off there as well ?

Having a shoe-mounted EVF would be an elegant solution.

MarcoPampaloni

Hello

could anybody help me with some Dp2 Merrill X3F files to download?

I was looking through Google but all the links i found, some in this thread too, are expired or empty Dropbox folders.

Thank you very much! ciao! :)

kgelner

....I wonder if an shoe-mounted EVF from another manufacturer would work on the Sigma ?

When you install the shoe-mounted Sigma flash does anyone know if it just makes a connection ? Or does it pull a voltage off there as well ?

Having a shoe-mounted EVF would be an elegant solution.

Shoe mounted EVF's all rely on the camera sending up video to the EVF. There's no way it would work on any other camera, even a different brand that also had a shoe-mounted EVF.

If you must have an EVF get a rear LCD magnifier and use the rear screen as an EVF. Then you can hold the camera up to your face for greater stability.

The Ute

"Shoe mounted EVF's all rely on the camera sending up video to the EVF. There's no way it would work on any other camera, even a different brand that also had a shoe-mounted EVF.

If you must have an EVF get a rear LCD magnifier and use the rear screen as an EVF. Then you can hold the camera up to your face for greater stability."

Thanks. I was just wondering is all.

I will probably do as you suggested at some point. Just seeking info.

And I must have a better solution because using the LCD in bright sunlight does not work very well IMO.

It does not allow for precise framing of images and that can be a problem.

Ustein posted his setup and that is a possibility. It seems a bit cumbersome to me.

Perhaps that is because I have not tried it yet.

Guess nothing will be perfect. So if that's the best way to go then so be it.

Kofronj

Hello

could anybody help me with some Dp2 Merrill X3F files to download?

I was looking through Google but all the links i found, some in this thread too, are expired or empty Dropbox folders.

Thank you very much! ciao! :)
Marco,

Perhaps not the best (I only had a borrowed camera), but this should give you an idea of the camera and software...

kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0037.x3f
kofronphotography.com/downloads/sdim0038.x3f

Jim

biglouis

Thanks to the incredible resolution of the DP2M I can now definitively state that I have a male squirrel hanging around for the occasional nuts we put out for him...

...shot through a window, btw.

W.Utsch

SPP 5.5 Monochrome my first impressions:

Based on quite a few BW conversions with SPP 5.5 and LR+NIK SE 2 and prints in A2 (E 3800 AWB-mode).

The SPP conversions are an improvement compared to SE2. The grey tones are finer, more subtle converted. The image is homogen and very sharp with no grain.
SE2 converts more coarse or rough.
We should compare to the output of the Leica MM.

The software is on my iMac (27 newest gen.) with 10.8.2 very unstable. It crashes often when you change from BW mode back to colormode or if you doing adjustments in BW.
I had conversions (save as tiff) that came out strange, i had to redo these.
I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise i like SPP, the Monochrome mode is a good and welcomed improvement.

Looking forward to read your impressions.

Werner

Kyndel

SPP 5.5 Monochrome my first impressions:

Based on quite a few BW conversions with SPP 5.5 and LR+NIK SE 2 and prints in A2 (E 3800 AWB-mode).

The SPP conversions are an improvement compared to SE2. The grey tones are finer, more subtle converted. The image is homogen and very sharp with no grain.
SE2 converts more coarse or rough.
We should compare to the output of the Leica MM.

The software is on my iMac (27 newest gen.) with 10.8.2 very unstable. It crashes often when you change from BW mode back to colormode or if you doing adjustments in BW.
I had conversions (save as tiff) that came out strange, i had to redo these.
I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise i like SPP, the Monochrome mode is a good and welcomed improvement.

Looking forward to read your impressions.

Werner
Are we talking about just a conversion using the default setting in SE 2 ? - If so ?: The strenght of SE2 is the many ways to change the output= There are fantastic many possibilities, and that is why I think it is at another level.

MarcoPampaloni

Unfortunatly i think i am not going to buy the Sigma, i was almost ready for it, but today i installed SPP 5.5 on my iMac running OS 10.7.5 with 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo and 8gb Ram and it's simply impossible to work with it. When i touch some sliders ( especially white balance and NR ) i have to wait for about 10 seconds to see the effects and i always got the Apple OS coloured rotating wheel which tells me that the program is going so slow and freezing. Also the same in monochrom mode, when i start to change the RGB values same story.
Is my Imac too old and weak?

mezzoduomo

Unfortunatly i think i am not going to buy the Sigma, i was almost ready for it, but today i installed SPP 5.5 on my iMac running OS 10.7.5 with 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo and 8gb Ram and it's simply impossible to work with it. When i touch some sliders ( especially white balance and NR ) i have to wait for about 10 seconds to see the effects and i always got the Apple OS coloured rotating wheel which tells me that the program is going so slow and freezing. Also the same in monochrom mode, when i start to change the RGB values same story.
Is my Imac too old and weak?
This makes me sad for you, Marco. I have the 5.4 running flawlessly on a 3 year old iMac (10.8.2) and 5.5 running flawlessly on a new MacBook Air (10.8.2). Don't give up!

Kyndel

I also run 5.4 without any problems at all - though pc, I have read that MAC.s had some problems with the earlier Sigma Pro Photo - perhaps more problems than PC.s ? - but it should have been fixed - at least in 5.4

I was not aware there is a 5.5 ?

W.Utsch

5.4 runs good on my MACs. 5.5, no problems with speed but frequent crashes.

Want to add: If you convert to BW in SPP you can still edit the Tiffs in LR and Silver Efex with all effects etc..

But the basic BW conversion in SPP is, IMO, better then the conversion from the color file in LR et al. Look at the to BWs i posted above (1511) in 100%.