The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Jim DE

Marco , not to post old news but you may not of seen this before. Many had issues with 5.5 on their Mac's till they uninstalled 5.4. I run a 10.7.5 Mac and have only seen what the above poster wrote about doing a monochrome then switching back it is sometimes shutting the program down.

Marco did you uninstall 5.4?

Kyndel

I should add: I run SSP on t w o pc.s - 5.4 - no problems at any of the pc.s (W7). Have never had a crash, and it is reasonable fast.

W.Utsch

@Kyndel:
Used a neutral preset and the brightness, contrast adjustments as well as color filters in SE2. Tried to optimize the file.

Kyndel

W. Utsch

That sounds fine to do, but I have downloaded a course from Jason Odell - not yet had time to follow it, but I can see, that there are endless possibilities, e.g. red,yellow-filters etc - if you know how - I do not - ......yet ;)

MarcoPampaloni

First of all thank you for your help and suggestions.

Well i didn't uninstall SPP 5.4 simply because i didn't have it before, i have never used any Sigma camera and SPP until now, so yesterday for the first time i downloaded SPP 5.5 and installed it to try some x3f since i was planning to buy a Dp2 merrill. So, on my iMac the very first SPP to run is this latest one, the 5.5.

Maybe i could try to uninstall this latest version, 5.5, and try with the older one ? But this would be bad since i'd like to use the monochrome panel...anywway i will try later again and see if it's still so hard to use it for me.

kgelner

First of all thank you for your help and suggestions.

Well i didn't uninstall SPP 5.4 simply because i didn't have it before, i have never used any Sigma camera and SPP until now, so yesterday for the first time i downloaded SPP 5.5 and installed it to try some x3f since i was planning to buy a Dp2 merrill. So, on my iMac the very first SPP to run is this latest one, the 5.5.

Maybe i could try to uninstall this latest version, 5.5, and try with the older one ? But this would be bad since i'd like to use the monochrome panel...anywway i will try later again and see if it's still so hard to use it for me.
It really should not be that slow. Changes to the sliders are instant on my mac also.

How much RAM do you have? That may be the issue.

MarcoPampaloni

I have 8 GB RAM.

Changes to the sliders: some are istant ( like exposure, contrast, fill ligh and so on ) other are so slow, like 10, 15 seconds with everything frozen, this happens with NR sliders, colour and WB sliders.

MarcoPampaloni

I did some other tests.

So, main problems come when i switch to full res mode and work 100% on screen with sharpening and NR sliders. Anyway when i am in full res mode also other controls are slow sometimes, like WB and colour settings. This doesn't happen when i am in "normal" mode. Just a questione: when i am in full res mode can't i go back to normal mode? i try to click on the full res icon again but nothing happens, is this normal ?

I managed to work in a decent manner by working in normal mode and only at the end of the workflow switch to full res mode for 100% on screen adjustments. But, of course, i would like to work always with full res mode, if possible!

Anyway Dp2 merrill files are amazing, if i can manage to resolve these software problems i will buy one for sure..now i go on searching on the web for more x3f files to try and have fun with.

Forgot to say that i set up my preferences to work in Prophoto mode, but i am quite sure this isn't why i am having those problems i told about before.

Thank you guys and sorry for being a bit boring with this stuff :)

The Ute

Marco-

For Mac users there is another option to SPP.

I am giving you the link below:

Iridient Digital

This raw converter works w Apple products and X3F files.

I do not use it because I have a Windows machine.

They have a trial version. Check it out. See if it helps.

kgelner

I did some other tests.
Just a questione: when i am in full res mode can't i go back to normal mode? i try to click on the full res icon again but nothing happens, is this normal ?
Not sure if that is normal.

I managed to work in a decent manner by working in normal mode and only at the end of the workflow switch to full res mode for 100% on screen adjustments. But, of course, i would like to work always with full res mode, if possible!
That would explain your slowdown, full res mode is slow (which is why it's a mode and not up full time). For every change it's doing a full conversion of the whole image.

Some adjustments should not be that slow in full res mode, like exposure - usually only adjusting things like noise reduction causes significant slowdowns. I'll have to review.

Forgot to say that i set up my preferences to work in Prophoto mode, but i am quite sure this isn't why i am having those problems i told about before.
You might want to try working in some of the other modes and see if it helps.

Kirk Candlish

I have 8 GB RAM.

Changes to the sliders: some are istant ( like exposure, contrast, fill ligh and so on ) other are so slow, like 10, 15 seconds with everything frozen, this happens with NR sliders, colour and WB sliders.
If you're trying to do this with a full res image and 8 GB of RAM your iMac is caching the undo to the hard drive. It's bound to be very slow and if your drive is fragmented that would cause most apps to crash.

biglouis

Unusual bulb vases - my wife is an authority on forcing bulbs and she normally takes all her own photographs using my discarded Panasonic LX5. However now and then she asks for my help.

MarcoPampaloni

Thanks a lot again.
For now best thing is to process in normal mode and switch to full res only when i really need it for 100% adjustments. Then, it would be very useful to be able to come back to normal mode from full res mode, i still can't do it.

The Ute

If they ever go to a FF sensor the lines will be around the block.

Or at least they should be IMO.

Can you imagine what that would be like ?

OMG

mordicai

If they ever go to a FF sensor the lines will be around the block.

Or at least they should be IMO.

Can you imagine what that would be like ?

OMG
It would be bigger and heavier. Files would be bigger then the 85mb now. The resolution is almost more then I can use now unless I'm printing bigger than 20x30.

MarcoPampaloni

I tried the Iridient software, i have no problems with it: fast and smooth, even at 100% view. Problem is that x3f files look worst with it, especially when i go 100% view. So i have to keep on trying with SPP :)