The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

The Ute

"It would be bigger and heavier. Files would be bigger then the 85mb now. The resolution is almost more then I can use now unless I'm printing bigger than 20x30."

It wouldn't be much bigger nor signifcantly heavier.

And one can never have enough resolution IMO. The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

The Ute

"I tried the Iridient software, i have no problems with it: fast and smooth, even at 100% view. Problem is that x3f files look worst with it, especially when i go 100% view. So i have to keep on trying with SPP"

Sorry to hear that. The faster and smoother part sounded good.

Maybe you need to work w it more ?

The Ute

Just a heads up in case anyone is looking for a DP1 or DP2.

47th St photo in NY is selling either brand new for $799 w free shipping.

:)

ecsh

Just a heads up in case anyone is looking for a DP1 or DP2.

47th St photo in NY is selling either brand new for $799 w free shipping.

:)
These people have without a doubt the worst online store i have ever had the displeasure to use. Even after typing in the camera, it will not come up. Terrible.

The Ute

"These people have without a doubt the worst online store i have ever had the displeasure to use. Even after typing in the camera, it will not come up. Terrible. "

You'll find their storefront on Ebay.

Just type in either Sigma DP2 Merrill, or Sigma DP1 Merrill in the search field on Ebay.

You'll see them listed there for $799 w shipping.

Hope that helps.

ecsh

Thanks, i will try that. I did a Google for them and tried their regular site, which i will now avoid.

Kofronj

Marco (and anyone having issues with SPP 5 on a Mac).

Try the following. Go to User>>Library>>Preferences and delete the com.sigmaphoto.photopro.plist file (it will be recreated on the next launch). Also go into User>>Library>>Application Support>>SIGMA PhotoPro and delete any files that might be in that folder (you may not have this folder—I've been using Sigma Photo Pro since v 2.1, and I think this folder has been deprecated).

I had the same issues with crashing when switching between modes. Doing this eliminated it, and I processed a bunch of SD15 files without a glitch this weekend.

Jim

Quentin_Bargate

I have tried SP5.5 and can't see the point of its mono conversion ability compared to the far greater versatility of, say, Silver Effex Pro or just Photoshop.

MarcoPampaloni

Hello Uwe

sorry for this stupid question, but what's the difference between a stacked copy and a virtual copy in LR ? I have always used the virtual copy when i want to keep my first file, processed where i wanted to be, then start with a new one with more processing, by a virtual copy, and so on...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Something really different.

Virtual Copy: Is just a different set of parameters for the same image
Copy: New image processed in one way

Why does the virtual copy not work so well for me? Each image will be different to get to a certain basic color look. This makes it hard to create meaningful B&W presets.

The situation is actually the same as with further editing in Photoshop (without using Smart Objects) or 3rd party plugins. But my B&W work in LR is also non-destructive.

P

Pete_G

I have tried SP5.5 and can't see the point of its mono conversion ability compared to the far greater versatility of, say, Silver Effex Pro or just Photoshop.
I find the mono mode very irritating, and so slow that it makes informed adjustments very difficult BUT if you can accept the colour shift, moving the Colour Mixer all the way into the blue channel removes a huge amount of noise in high ISO shots, I can't find a way of doing the same in PS,LR or the SE2 demo I have, so for that reason alone 5.5 is useful.

W.Utsch

Again SPP 5.5 mono - LR 4.4 NIK SE 2 (hope its not too boring):

1. Pic in color

2. at 100%

3. Conversion with SPP 5.5

4. at 100%

5.Conversion with LR 4.4 and NIK SE2

6 at 100%

Tried to get them close.

The SPP conversion is much smoother (Background and the white foam) , i think without loosing detail. Don't know and don't care which one is "better".
What do you think?

BTW, after deleting all previous files (.plist etc..) and reinstalling, SPP runs much more stable on my MAC.