The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

sinwen

Excellent for sure.
I guess this picture is a color picture and not a B&W.

I noticed on all pictures taken with this foveon sensor a magenta cast of 2% for the greys and 4 or 5% for the whites.
Get into photoshop, chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%, do the same for the greys with 2%.
Compare both pictures.

I have done that on a number of pictures found here or elsewhere, I first noticed it on DP3 pictures.

sinwen

This is a beautiful lady and a soft background, but it is too sharp in the face - showing to much "particles" (pardon my English) = Simply too sharp.

IMHO: You need some software - e.g. Nik software to smoothen out in the face, or perhaps using "neutral" color mode ( I still need to try this out for portraits)
I agree, the skin is rough but don't touch the sharpness. Instead, in photoshop, use filters, surface blurr in the green layer only. Something like 5 pixels at the most and 4 for the strenght.

Rand47

Yes, color. This is a rare instance for me - seeing magenta in the center left of the frame. If you notice, though, the edges do not have a cast. There was color contaiminatiion from the light coming through colored window coverings to the immediate left. I'm not sure what (if any) impact that had the cast in this image.

On the other hand, the casts I've seen in a few other photos also showed this "non-uniform" characteristic. I wonder if a flat-field DNG profile would be useful. Next time I'm in this location, I'll shoot this shot again and also shoot for a flat-field correction and then see what happens if I apply it!

This "mostly monochrome" image would ususally get a split-tone treatment if I thought it interesting enough to print.

Best,
Rand
Excellent for sure.
I guess this picture is a color picture and not a B&W.

I noticed on all pictures taken with this foveon sensor a magenta cast of 2% for the greys and 4 or 5% for the whites.
Get into photoshop, chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%, do the same for the greys with 2%.
Compare both pictures.

I have done that on a number of pictures found here or elsewhere, I first noticed it on DP3 pictures.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Up the bike trail early morning this week.

A few pictures from the trip....need to take a monopod as at 100 ISO too many OOF and motion disturbed artifacts....

Sigma DP2 Merrill

Bike Trail Over Bridge

View From the Bridge

Bike on the Bridge

Bike on the Trail

Bob

Jim DE

Anyone else feel that the last firmware update also resolved the auto WB and some of the color issues the DP2m owners sometimes complained about? I find AWB has been nailing my white balance and landscape, vivid, and standard color modes are much more usable than prior to the firmware update.

V

Vivek

Up the bike trail early morning this week.

A few pictures from the trip....need to take a monopod as at 100 ISO too many OOF and motion disturbed artifacts....

Bike on the Bridge

Bob
That one really stands out! Nice, Bob! :)

V

Vivek

Michiel, I will have to go through this thread over time. There are >60 photos from you from Cuba! Delightful! The right camera for that light, I suppose?

Michiel Schierbeek

This camera is (also) perfect for texture! And Cuba is full of texture due to the lack of maintenance of most things and the endlessly puttyd cars from the fiftys. :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Sinwen wrote:

chose "selective correction", get to the whites and retranch 5%,
Can you expand a little on this, please, and in the following way: image > selective correction > whatever..., so a PS simpleton like myself can follow the steps. I like the idea of selective correction but am not good enough in PS to do it!

Michiel Schierbeek

Changing of the guards, every half an hour, at the cemetery Santa Ifigenia in Santiago de Cuba. ( Beautifull) Emancipation is there, but not yet in the heights of the legs. :D

Michiel

Rand47

OK, too much sharpness happening here, again! ;D I'm tossing in this image that has 100% negative clarity in LR 4.4rc.
We don't want to hurt our eyes. Tripod mounted, ISO 200, in the dark - more or less.

PaulO

Hello everyone. I just joined the club as my DP2M arrived yesterday! I owe thanks to Quentin Bargate and Lloyd Chanbers for making me pull the trigger. I've spent a many hours reading forum threads about the camera. Impressive images posted online by both Quentin and Lloyd show the capabilities of the sensor and lens. Also, thanks to Uwe for some great images and interesting comments and to Michiel for the wonderful Cuba images as well as the facades. I'm going to Italy for a month in June and facades and street scenes are one of the reasons I bought the DP2M.

While reading this thread, I've been taking notes on recommended camera settings and usage of SPP. I have the following shooting tips: exposure: +.3 to +.7 (I have yet to blow out highlights using +.7), ISO: 100 or 200 (400 in a pinch). I believe that, since I'm shooting RAW only, camera settings (white balance, color, sharpening, contrast, saturation) affect only the settings when SPP is entered and can be changed in SPP (although it certainly helps to have a good starting state). I'm hoping someone can verify this.
I'm planning to use SPP minimally and do most adjustments in ACR and PS (similar to how I process files from my Canon 5DII). I've downloaded the latest camera firmware and release of SPP.
I believe I've learned from various posts that the following are best done in SPP prior to saving the file as a 16bit TIFF:
- Set the white balance in SPP; make only minimal changes in ACR. I've found this part of the interface difficult, although AWB gets me close.
- Set the clipping points for highlights & shadows in SPP.
- Set the working color space in SPP to ProPhoto.
- Do some capture sharpening in SPP. Recommended setting?
- Do some noise reduction in SPP. Recommended setting?
Ideally I'd like to do these settings in a batch mode but I'm not sure it can be done, particularly for the clipping points.
Thanks!