The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Jim DE

I really agree right at the moment. I at first thought I would get the DP1m as well but that idea has changed. If I want wide I shoot vertical Pano's and for telephoto I crop my DP2m images. I am really glad I bought the DP2m first.

For macro I have my a77 which really shines in that genre. Or my extension tubes and a 90mm CG lens on my NEX 7.

If sigma ever makes a slr with a Merrill sensor that does great at ISO 1600 I will stand in line to get one for wildlife and UWA scenics.

stevew50

I have both the DP1M and DP2M. The DP1M does have some CA which is disturbing and no, "it is not a quick fix in PS" like some would say. In BW it is not too bad as I split channels and pick the best one. In color, I have tried both SPP and PS CA correction. It is disturbing to suddenly see multiple branches appear on a tree limb with fine detail at the resolution limits of the lens/sensor. I agree sometimes one can step forward or backward for a shot, but when the shot you want requires you to balance on a down tree across a stream for a 4sec exposure, it is difficult to shoot a stitched pano and not fall in the water.

Jim DE

Johnny I wish the SD1m performed well at ISO 1600 but the user's comments and answers I have gotten draw the line some where between 400-800 before noise becomes a major issue.

Wildlife and particularly bird in flight near forces me to shoot at 1/1250+ shutter speed to stop the wing tips. I need f8 for a sufficient depth of field so even in decent light I find myself shooting at iso's from 1000-1600 inorder to achieve the other two criteria's. Right now the SD1m has not achieved a good enough 1600 ISO noise resolution for my needs... When it does I will be the first in line due to my feelings about the Merrill sensors resolution.

Trust me I have a poor high ISO noise SLT currently and can't wait to get away from this kind of performance without costing my first born male child to obtain it.

corposant

I liked the painterly detail in the sky - I probably could have shot this at ISO 100 - I was curious how much more DR I could get at ISO 200.

stevew50

I am still exploring the limits on exposures, over vs under. This shot was accidently underexposed about 1 stop but was still able to pull good detail from the shadows. It is fun seeing the detail in clouds and skies. This shot is off the coast of Long Beach, Ca.

stevew50

Here are a couple shots that have pretty bad CA though it may not show at these reductions. It is visible along ridge lines and on tree branches and some is visible on the barn roof.

stevew50

Here is a shot where it is not bothersome. In Yosemite Valley on the Merced river, the Beavers went town over the winter.

Last edited:

adsf

@stevew50

There must be something wrong in your downsizing/compression workflow. The images are looking really bad.

PaulO

I continue to be amazed with this camera. I don't even want to take out my Canon 5dII. Will make some 16x20's tomorrow.

adsf

In what way? My eyes must be bad because the images look fine.

LouisB
I cant describe it in words... It looks like jpg compression/quality was set to "25" (of 100) or so. Little blocky/grainy. In Picture 154 for example, there is no detail in the trees. Its bright and sunny there, contrasts must be great but its just not detailed.

stevew50

Only supposed to upload 1200 pixel images. I will try a larger one.

The system down res'es the imeages.

Last edited:

corposant

Steve - I always wonder when I drive up the 101 and see those offshore platforms if there's anybody out there!

I think I will ultimately sell this camera, but that doesn't take anything away from what it is capable of.

PaulO

A new product has just been released by ArcSoft which claims to reduce digital noise. It takes 3 shots and merges them. Unfortunately it's Windows only, so I can't try it. I'd be interested if anyone has tried it on Sigma files. [I'm not affiliated with the company.] There appears to be a free trial period. Since the company has some Mac products, I'm thinking they may come out with a Mac version.