The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

biglouis

Peter

The RX-1 is a superb camera and suits my style. The x100s is also a high quality camera, you cannot do wrong by that as a purchase. I tried both and was lucky to find a second user RX-1 from a dealer who would stand by the guarantee so I thought it too good an opportunity to pass up. Otherwise I would have gone down the Fuji route.

LouisB

peterb

Louis, W. Utsch,

Definitely leaning toward the X100s. But there's still an outside chance I could be lucky as you two to land RX1 that can be summed up in two words: Helloooooooooo Ebay. :)

W.Utsch

@Marco
Benvenuto al forum! Un foto fantastico!

London, Burlington Arcade:

"Lips"

Was lucky to get the saleswomen when she was touching her lips.

It is an ISO 640 shot, shows that the DP2M is not at all that bad at "higher" ISO. That's true at 100% oc.
I do not hesitate to use it up to ISO 800 for color, BW is anyhow no problem to 1600 or even 3200.
The Merrill's hold detail at higher ISO very good, the biggest problem you can run in are the infamous "color blotches" and saturation. But no cam, even the RX1, is really "perfect" at high ISO (not to speak about film).

snowy

I've been using the X100 for a while and got it before my DP2M. They do complement each other well, and I miss the viewfinder on the X100 when using the Sigma! Not considering an upgrade to the X100s at this stage as I don't think the improvements are worth it.

peterb

@Marco

It is an ISO 640 shot, shows that the DP2M is not at all that bad at "higher" ISO. That's true at 100% oc.
I do not hesitate to use it up to ISO 800 for color, BW is anyhow no problem to 1600 or even 3200.
The Merrill's hold detail at higher ISO very good, the biggest problem you can run in are the infamous "color blotches" and saturation. But no cam, even the RX1, is really "perfect" at high ISO (not to speak about film).
Totally agree! From my early experiments with Panasonic's G1 (the camera I used until the DP2M came into my life and still use for less critical shots because I totally love its swiveling LCD) and trying to find optimal ISO to use I found that ISO up to 320 yielded excellent results with no (or minimal) noise. And that seems to remain true for the Merrills! In fact, using the G1 with its ISO limitations has proved to be excellent preparation for using the DP2M!

Continuing that logic I then found at ISO 400 shots taken with a Merrill while not as completely noise free as ISO 320 and lower were also indeed quite good right up until ISO 640.

Interestingly, while noise at ISO 800 isn't bad by any stretch (just that for a third stop less ISO 640 as you've found is as good as ISO 400), I found often found color to be a tad too pastel looking. Tweaking the saturation either in SPP or Lightroom seems to adjust things nicely. (In SPP sometimes going to 'landscape' or 'portrait' adds just enough saturation in certain situations to also provide a nice effect but you have to be careful. Most of the time it's just a little too much for my tastes.).

Regarding BW, as you've found, I've had good results clear up to ISO 3200 where the noise as I've often posted seems to have a certain Tri-X quality to it. The added features in the new-ish SPP monochrome with its grain size and roughness sliders are nothing short of amazing. The Topaz' plug-in, DeNoise, used via Lightroom or Photoshop can even make hay of SPP produced TIFFS taken as high as ISO 5000. There's a slight loss in detail but since the Merrill has detail in spades the results are still quite incredible.

valka

Little visitor from animal kingdom. Taken on a motorcycle trip around lake Võrtsu. Shot handheld.

Greetings,
Valka

Jim DE

Peter, fair way from the Cape ;) ..... You staying for the Memorial Day activities there this weekend? I may be there with the Rolling Thunder at the Vietnam Memorial.......

peterb

Hi Jim,

Rolling thunder? Waaaay cool. Ever go to Lake George, NY on Memorial Day? That's another experience. As for me, much as I'll miss being on the Cape I'll probably pop by the Mall to see the action. In the meantime, here are some other shots that morning of that amazing memorial among other things I saw.

The always hauntingly moving Viet Nam Memorial:

The Washington monument in early light.

Mall rats of a different kind:

peterb

Hey Louis,

Thank you so much. Yes it was a neat morning to be out and about in D.C.

Now...some shots of spring in Maryland farmland (one you've seen before but it was tiny.)

In DP2M-o-vision. Enjoy.

Jim DE

Man, I really enjoy my DP2m and seeing the images others are achieving with them. Last night I went out with my DP2m and mounted it on a Nodal Ninja 3 with a leveler on a old Bogan tripod I have owned for what feels like forever (I had taken the telescopic legs out of it and have been using it as a low lever tripod for beach work so I had to reassemble it for the NN3). What a sweetheart of a lightweight vertical orientated panorama setup. I produced one 8 shot color and one 4 shot black and white HDR pano from last night using the Autopan Giga 3 software and my Aperture 3 software. I think I am in love :):):)

Michiel Schierbeek

The sea.

View on Le Treport.

You can see the rain at sea.

Low tide, time to look for mussels.

View on Le Treport and Mers les Bains.

Lonesome villa bound to fall down the cliffs.